Thread: Boost Mobile Ending 3G Device Support on 4/30/19 Forcing Customers To Switch to 4G

Feedback Score

Boost Mobile Ending 3G Device Support on 4/30/19 Forcing Customers To Switch to 4G

Received several text messages from Boost Mobile today here is a copy of the latest text message that contains more information than the previously received texts - it shows that Boost Mobile customers that have been with them a long time and prefer to use their older 3G devices mainly due to size, durability, and better overall voice and data coverage in places where 4G LTE is not working, will be forced to endure possible interruptions in 3G service and their devices will no longer receive any technical support. Boost Mobile dealers (select and non select) do NOT offer "free" phones to any current customers and do NOT honor any "codes" because they claim that Boost Mobile does not reimburse them for these giveaways they only receive reimbursements from Boost Mobile on upgrades and in store switching promotions. The text message is below -

BSTFreeMSG: Alert: On 4/30/19, a device network update will impact this device due to its age and design. If your device is currently active on Boost acct, it will continue to work however, you will no longer be able to re-activate/master reset device, swap phone #, or receive Preferred Roaming List (PRL) updates which may result in irregular service depending on future Network updates in your area. If device is not currently active on Boost acct on 4/30/19, you won't be able to reactivate it. To help, Boost is offering a free LG Tribute Dynasty for acct with ph# ending ****. To receive, visit Boost store & present this message from your current phone. Use code ************** w/transaction. Offer expires 5/15/19, valid only in sel Boost Mobile dealers. Set Up fee up to $25 may apply. May req. plan change. Offer non-transferable; can't redeem for cash/other merch. Restrictions apply 2019 Boost Worldwide, Inc All rights reserved. Other marks are property of respective owners

Device(s)
    Nexus 5X, OnePlus 2
    Carrier(s)
    Project Fi
    Feedback Score
    It only makes sense. It's time to write the obituary on CDMA and embrace the future. With those phones, it's slower data and far less coverage than what the newer phones will get with the ability to roam on T-Mobile's network. I'm doubting that there is still a ton of people on 3G only phones anyway, unless they are holding on to plans that are no longer available. Hopefully they won't have as many angry people pretending they didn't know about 3G getting shut off like other people did.

Feedback Score
    I guess CDMA handles voice calls so I assume that should still work.

I think a lot of people use old phones, like my mom uses an old flip phone.

Some people if they have a phone that works don't want to change and don't care about new technology.

Also my mom never uses text so a lot of people might not get the notice.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by brad4cell View Post
    I guess CDMA handles voice calls so I assume that should still work.

I think a lot of people use old phones, like my mom uses an old flip phone.

Some people if they have a phone that works don't want to change and don't care about new technology.

Also my mom never uses text so a lot of people might not get the notice.
    My wife is this way. She has a Samsung Rant feature phone and is on a grandfathered in pay as you go plan. She has no interest a smart phone. Voice and text is all she wants.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by thiagosantiro View Post
    Received several text messages from Boost Mobile today here is a copy of the latest text message that contains more information than the previously received texts - it shows that Boost Mobile customers that have been with them a long time and prefer to use their older 3G devices mainly due to size, durability, and better overall voice and data coverage in places where 4G LTE is not working, will be forced to endure possible interruptions in 3G service and their devices will no longer receive any technical support. Boost Mobile dealers (select and non select) do NOT offer "free" phones to any current customers and do NOT honor any "codes" because they claim that Boost Mobile does not reimburse them for these giveaways they only receive reimbursements from Boost Mobile on upgrades and in store switching promotions. The text message is below -

BSTFreeMSG: Alert: On 4/30/19, a device network update will impact this device due to its age and design. If your device is currently active on Boost acct, it will continue to work however, you will no longer be able to re-activate/master reset device, swap phone #, or receive Preferred Roaming List (PRL) updates which may result in irregular service depending on future Network updates in your area. If device is not currently active on Boost acct on 4/30/19, you won't be able to reactivate it. To help, Boost is offering a free LG Tribute Dynasty for acct with ph# ending ****. To receive, visit Boost store & present this message from your current phone. Use code ************** w/transaction. Offer expires 5/15/19, valid only in sel Boost Mobile dealers. Set Up fee up to $25 may apply. May req. plan change. Offer non-transferable; can't redeem for cash/other merch. Restrictions apply 2019 Boost Worldwide, Inc All rights reserved. Other marks are property of respective owners
    thanks for posting this. I have a question now as I am on grandfathered 0.10 per minute/text prepaid plan, this plan can only be on non smart phones. Does this mean I have to upgrade to $35 per month plan?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by biny View Post
    thanks for posting this. I have a question now as I am on grandfathered 0.10 per minute/text prepaid plan, this plan can only be on non smart phones. Does this mean I have to upgrade to $35 per month plan?
    It says your device will continue to work so you can continue to use your current phone.

Also boost does still sell one flip phone if you needed a new phone so smart phones are not the only option.

Feedback Score
    Interruptions hopefully for not long periods

Device(s)
    iPhone XS
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    Are Boost/Virgin users allowed to LTE roam with AT&T/T-Mobile the way Sprint postpaid customers do?
    “The Internet wasn’t meant to be metered in bits and bytes, so it’s insane that wireless companies are still making you buy it this way. The rate plan is dead — it’s a fossil from a time when wireless was metered by every call or text.” John Legere 1/5/2017

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by @TheRealDanny View Post
    Are Boost/Virgin users allowed to LTE roam with AT&T/T-Mobile the way Sprint postpaid customers do?
    Boost has 50 minutes voice roaming a month but no data roaming.

I don't think many if any prepaid has data roaming.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by biny View Post
    The Alcatel flip phone that Boost and others sell is a 3G/4G phone. When using 4G the phone heats up and the battery drains quickly. When using 3G the battery lasts longer and the phone does not heat. Boost Mobile forces a 4G activation on this flip phone due to its SIM card but you can change the network setting to 3G by manually selecting the correct 3G option instead of allowing that option to be selected on auto mode. Boost Mobile also forces the customer to choose between a $35, $50 or $80 plan when they activate this phone. Any plan you have that is older on 3G or pay as you go will no longer be useable by with this flip phone.

Sent from my LM-X212(G) using HoFo mobile app

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by J Wireless View Post
    It only makes sense. It's time to write the obituary on CDMA and embrace the future. With those phones, it's slower data and far less coverage than what the newer phones will get with the ability to roam on T-Mobile's network. I'm doubting that there is still a ton of people on 3G only phones anyway, unless they are holding on to plans that are no longer available. Hopefully they won't have as many angry people pretending they didn't know about 3G getting shut off like other people did.
    I see this claim frequently. You guys must live near big cities. T-Mobile STILL sucks out in the country, to the point that roaming on their network would be pointless. I think they've had time to improve this, yet I continue to question why they haven't. They don't even have band 12 in most places, and to be honest AWS and 1900 are pretty lousy compared to the CDMA alternatives. Regardless of whether it's 3G or LTE, it seems that Sprint gets into buildings 100x better than T-Mobile does. Why is this?

Device(s)
    Nexus 5X, OnePlus 2
    Carrier(s)
    Project Fi
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by adrenatek View Post
    I see this claim frequently. You guys must live near big cities. T-Mobile STILL sucks out in the country, to the point that roaming on their network would be pointless. I think they've had time to improve this, yet I continue to question why they haven't. They don't even have band 12 in most places, and to be honest AWS and 1900 are pretty lousy compared to the CDMA alternatives. Regardless of whether it's 3G or LTE, it seems that Sprint gets into buildings 100x better than T-Mobile does. Why is this?
    I live in an area where T-Mobile was so bad that my friend closed all of his T-Mobile stores years ago. Now that I have Google Fi and am almost always on T-Mobile, areas where T-Mobile sucked are getting great speeds. Even in the country, I get 20-40 Mbps down on T-Mobile's network and have gotten up to 100+ Mbps in the city. In my experience, T-Mobile has either gotten better or is using Sprint right now for some roaming.

As for building penetration, at least in my area, T-Mobile had a weak 4G signal and not a great 3G backup, so it was more like 2G in a number of areas. They relied heavily on WiFi calling and VoLTE for places band 12 could reach but they hadn't built out their network yet. They've tried to address that issue, but it sounds like they haven't done a good job in your area.

With 3G, it will become like iDen and WiMax was very quickly; a network that won't grow and isn't worth spending money to keep up. A 3G CDMA network isn't going to bait anyone into giving Sprint a great roaming agreement if the merger falls through. Sprint has fallen behind everyone in part due to not keeping up with the changes that the industry is making. The whole world is heading towards 5G, which may be a horrible thing depending on who you listen to, and Sprint needs to adapt. It's horrible news for people who don't want a smartphone and are only concerned with calling, but it's the future.