Thread: Apple will disrupt healthcare like the iPhone did to the mobile industry

Device(s)
    iPhone XS
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    15 (100%)

Apple will disrupt healthcare like the iPhone did to the mobile industry

https://appleinsider.com/articles/19...s-john-sculley

Cook is "absolutely onto something" in moving Apple into the healthcare field, Sculley advised to CNBC, adding plans "may well be the great legacy" Cook is seeking for the company. Scully is referencing Cook's recent interview where he suggested "Apple's greatest contribution to mankind" will be "about health."

Sculley believes Apple's work will "go from curiosity to useful to indispensable. And indispensable means it's got to do things that are significantly more capable in terms of health and preventative care than what we have today." This can include wearable devices or other elements that can allow patients to perform a self-diagnosis, "where the consumer can have a bigger role, just as they have in other industries."
    “The Internet wasn’t meant to be metered in bits and bytes, so it’s insane that wireless companies are still making you buy it this way. The rate plan is dead — it’s a fossil from a time when wireless was metered by every call or text.” John Legere 1/5/2017

Feedback Score
    I don't see that Apple disrupted the cell phone industry. I've never found their phones compelling. They didn't invent the touch screen or the app market, but they did improve it a lot. Other companies "disrupted" the industry at least as much making improvements with the nice usable large screens, cell radios, Android features still being copied by IOS, and lots of other features.

Now, the Watch? That might well be disruptive. Especially if they change it so it works with most phones. Unlike with cell phones, the Apple Watch is truly running away with the sector.

Feedback Score
    Uh huh. May want to ask people like Jim Balsillie, Mike Lazaridis, Padmasree Warrior, Olli Kallasvuo, Steve Ballmer, and Ed Colligan about that.

Andy Rubin, too.

No effect at all.

Device(s)
    iPhone 8 plus, iPhone 7, iPhone 7, iPhone SE, iPad Pro 10.5
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by NotABiot View Post
    I don't see that Apple disrupted the cell phone industry. I've never found their phones compelling. They didn't invent the touch screen or the app market, but they did improve it a lot. Other companies "disrupted" the industry at least as much making improvements with the nice usable large screens, cell radios, Android features still being copied by IOS, and lots of other features.

Now, the Watch? That might well be disruptive. Especially if they change it so it works with most phones. Unlike with cell phones, the Apple Watch is truly running away with the sector.
    Lol. They did distrust it when they released the first iPhone and no one else had a phone like that. Ever since smart phones took off. Please learn your history.

Device(s)
    iPhone X, iPhone 7+
    Carrier(s)
    ATT Prepaid
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by RussPath03 View Post
    Lol. They did distrust it when they released the first iPhone and no one else had a phone like that. Ever since smart phones took off. Please learn your history.
    I had smartphones before the iPhone came out. Treos with smaller screens and physical keyboards. And there were Windows mobile phones with full screens (and stylus's) that were essentially PDAs with phone capabilities. Too expensive for me at the time.

The iPhone made it usable to use a touchscreen with a finger. And no need to "calibrate" the screen.
    iPhone X is my current primary phone. I have older model iPhones and Moto phones available on other lines. Currently prepaid, though would consider postpaid on right plan.

Device(s)
    nexus and RIP Motorola flip phone
    Carrier(s)
    T -Mobile ATT
    Feedback Score
    I would love a phone with enough sensors in it to check my health.....
    Not sure I want Apple or Goggle as gatekeepers for this info.....
    Wanted: old barnfind VWs and Sports cars ,
    save them from the crusher , I have had my tetanus shots so rust does not scare me ,
    anything considered even parts cars

Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by kevink1 View Post
    I had smartphones before the iPhone came out. Treos with smaller screens and physical keyboards. And there were Windows mobile phones with full screens (and stylus's) that were essentially PDAs with phone capabilities. Too expensive for me at the time.

The iPhone made it usable to use a touchscreen with a finger. And no need to "calibrate" the screen.
    I understand your thoughts about that. I had a Sony Ericsson P850 that was a direct competitor to the Palm series devices and with the Symbion OS, but it was nowhere as advanced as the first iPhone. Apple revolutionized the cell phone industry and most modern smart phones still work and look similar to the iPhone.
    Don't make me turn this car around.....

Device(s)
    iphone 6s plus
    Carrier(s)
    VZW,T-mobile,Cricket,Fi
    Feedback Score

Apple will disrupt healthcare like the iPhone did to the mobile industry

I also had smartphones well before the iPhone. These included Blackberries, a Treo, Nokia Symbian devices (S60 and S80), and even a Windows Mobile device. What Apple did was being the smartphone out of the realm of tech geeks and corporate workers to the consumer mainstream.
    "I didn't get fat by accident. This was a personal choice. " - Kevin Gillespie

Device(s)
    Samsung S8+ Duos, LG G7
    Carrier(s)
    Google Fi
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by kevink1 View Post
    I had smartphones before the iPhone came out. Treos with smaller screens and physical keyboards.......
    I love my Treo 650. It was a very good device.

Name:  Treo 650 1.jpg
Views: 167
Size:  43.9 KB
    Retired Aerospace Engineer

Feedback Score
    I think health monitoring is a potential killer application for a smart watch and apple seems to be leading in this area so far. The apple watch 4 can monitor the heart and fall detection.

However, I know apple won't be the only company to make smart watches that can monitor your health and hopefully there will be cheaper options in the future.

Device(s)
    iPhone X, Huawei Mate 20 Pro
    Feedback Score
    It's interesting to see what they invent in this field. Smart watch isn't a simple accessory or just fitness tracker anymore. I am curious to see smth really impressive from Apple.
    Check online reviews before buying your new gadget: https://www.pissedconsumer.com/categ...t-gadgets.html