Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Cheapest backup home internet - please suggest

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bobdevnul
    IIRC PDANet stops working after an arbitrary/random length of time for a session and will start working again if a new session is started. I personally have never run it long enough to get bumped off, but my tests of it were only a few minutes.
    That's if you are running in trial mode without paying for it.

I have used it for many days at a time. If you get an phone call or some such that will interrupt it though.

Carrier(s)
    Virgin Mobile, T-Mobile, Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by october262 View Post
    WIFI USB & Bluetooth connection all work on my LINUX computer.
    it goes by what plan you have that allows tethering. some plans even charge extra for tethering when you activate the tethering
    option it "checks" to see if it's allowed. if your phone can be rooted, you can disable the tethering check
    by editing the prop file.
    Don't know if this will help but just today I was looking to get hotspot working on my unlocked AT&T branded LG Phoenix 2 on T-Mobile/Mint. Even unlocked, it checks to see if it's allowed. A quick Google and I found an app that doesn't require rooting. It's called Settings Database Editor and allowed me to turn off the check.
    Your, you're, yore; there, their, they're; to, too, two; by, buy; add, ad; for, four, fore.
    a) better to light a candle, or b) curse the darkness?

Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop, Truphone, Toggle, Netzclub DE, Three UK
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jettable View Post
    I don’t want to keep paying every month for the backup internet because I just can’t afford to. I suppose I will need about 0.5gb to 1gb for those times when I lose my home internet. Thanks for any suggestions!
    It sounds like you want something truly "pay-as-you-go" that can sit unused for months, then pull out when you need it once or twice a year. Unfortunately, in the US there aren't any options (as far as I know) for prepaid SIMs that you can buy, leave unused for months with no charges, and then turn on a 1GB (or more) data package as needed. The next best thing is something with cheap pay-as-you-go data by the MB. The Tello option mentioned above sounds good if you have a compatible Sprint device. If you have a GSM device (AT&T/T-Mobile), you could use a DrimSIM - a prepaid international SIM - which has pay-as-you-go data for €0.02/MB (about 2.3 US cents per MB). 500MB would cost you $11.37 (based on current EUR to USD exchange rate).

If you want the truly cheapest way, an option like that would give you the security of knowing you're connected, and able to use more data if necessary, but if it's not urgent and funds are tight that month, you can take an early lunch or go for a walk.

Note there is a higher upfront cost for DrimSIM: €10 for the SIM + ˘25 minimum top-up, so $40. As long as you use it once a year though it never expires.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by AnciusD View Post
    Don't know if this will help but just today I was looking to get hotspot working on my unlocked AT&T branded LG Phoenix 2 on T-Mobile/Mint. Even unlocked, it checks to see if it's allowed. A quick Google and I found an app that doesn't require rooting. It's called Settings Database Editor and allowed me to turn off the check.
    Yep, that works on my Phoenix 2 using Tracfone-AT&T.

Feedback Score

THANKS!!! I'll have to check that out.

Device(s)
    Moto Z2 Force, Moto X4, Moto G5s Plus, Moto G4 Plus, Moto E5 Plus, Moto E5, Samsung J7 Neo, HTC One
    Carrier(s)
    metro by T-Mobile, TracFone on Verizon, AT&T and T-Mobile, Tello and FreeUp.
    Feedback Score
    Thanks. I used this on an locked AT&T Phoenix 3. I didn't know what value to change it to. I took a guess and went from 5 to 0 and it works! I can hotspot now. Now to get it unlocked. All the eBay listings say this one can't be unlocked.

Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bobdevnul View Post
    Yep, that works on my Phoenix 2 using Tracfone-AT&T.
    Hmmm, I don't suppose this could bypass the no-hotpot on Verizon's unlimited plan? Possible a separate setting?

Feedback Score
    Hmmm, I don't suppose this could bypass the no-hotpot on Verizon's unlimited plan? Possible a separate setting?
    Any of the methods to bypass the entitlement check by a carrier hotspot app will probably work. That does not mean that Verizon will not detect unauthorized hotspotting. I suspect that they are actively monitoring for it and there may be consequences.

Adding a third party hotspot app generally does not work on non-rooted phones. Even if the phone is rooted with a third party hotspot app, they can still detect its use.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jettable View Post
    Please suggest cheap backup home internet solutions. I need this just as a backup to my existing home internet, ...
    Two suggestions:

OP never said if T-Mobile's network worked for them. If so get a T-Mobile hotspot and activate it with their prepaid mobile internet service. Daily, weekly, and monthly one-time day passes are available as needed. Or get a renewing monthly plan for better value, if you prefer. You can leave your account inactive for up to a year.

I bought a used, like new, ZTE Z915 hotspot on Amazon or E-Bay for $50, popped in a micro-SIM and activated it through the hotspot's wifi connection. (A Z917 might be another good choice.) Once you have a mobile internet manager (MIM) account with credit card set up you can add a data pass or monthly plan this way (so long as you haven't changed the default DNS settings,) or via the MIM website from a phone or whatever, or via a toll free number (877-778-2106) from any phone whenever needed. Just make sure you remember the phone number assigned to the hotspot and the security PIN you choose to do all this.

Current On Demand passes:

500MB - 1-day - $5
    1GB - 7-day - $10
    3GB - 30-day - $30
    5GB - 30-day - $40
    7GB - 30-day - $50

Monthly renewing plans (30-day with autopay):

2GB - $10 per month
    6GB - $25 per month
    10GB - $40 per month
    14GB - $55 per month
    18GB - $70 per month
    22GB - $85 per month

===

On your Sprint Moto E2, service on Tello is another good option as they allow tethering. So long as you have a pay-go balance (minimum top up is $10) and make a call or text every 90 days, your account will stay alive and the pay-go balance won't expire. Pay-go data is prohibitively expensive as a backup, but you can turn on or off monthly plans with data only as needed. Cost ranges for $7 for 200MB to $34 for 10GB per 30 days. You can do that through the Tello app on the phone, so you may have use a bit of that expensive pay-go data to get set up.

Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bobdevnul View Post
    Any of the methods to bypass the entitlement check by a carrier hotspot app will probably work. That does not mean that Verizon will not detect unauthorized hotspotting. I suspect that they are actively monitoring for it and there may be consequences.

Adding a third party hotspot app generally does not work on non-rooted phones. Even if the phone is rooted with a third party hotspot app, they can still detect its use.
    Yeah, I forgot about that leetle detail, pesky carriers.
    I have used a 3rd party app on a couple ZTE GoPhones where the stock function didn't allow it though.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2