Thread: "Reception isn't good here."

Device(s)
    OnePlus 6T
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score

"Reception isn't good here."

This was uttered in front of me in line at a grocery store where the patron in front of me couldn't download her coupons. The clerk suggested she do it at home as, "Reception isn't good here." I corrected her and advised that it is good for T-Mobile as they have a site on top of my building across the parking lot. She didn't seem thrilled about my info, but it is what it is.

Only T-Mobile has a site here in the Eastbluff shopping center in Newport Beach, CA. But sometimes the "Reception isn't good here" phrase is turned far too often when in fact someone DOES have good coverage "here."

Just a funny tidbit from my lunch-run...

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Falcon_73 View Post
    This was uttered in front of me in line at a grocery store where the patron in front of me couldn't download her coupons. The clerk suggested she do it at home as, "Reception isn't good here." I corrected her and advised that it is good for T-Mobile as they have a site on top of my building across the parking lot. She didn't seem thrilled about my info, but it is what it is.

Only T-Mobile has a site here in the Eastbluff shopping center in Newport Beach, CA. But sometimes the "Reception isn't good here" phrase is turned far too often when in fact someone DOES have good coverage "here."

They arent wrong, as THEIR reception isnt good there. Could be great in the shop but slow, could be great and fast outside the store. Reception is used for speeds and signal strength.

Device(s)
    iPhone XS
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    15 (100%)

We're you at Ralph's or CVS? I'm familiar with the area. My brother lives in Newport Beach off of MacArthur and Bison and I'm there often. T-Mobile works great inside the condo and everywhere else in the surrounding area.

I used to work at the Cisco office off of California and Bison and T-Mobile LTE worked flawlessly in my office w/o any DAS but Verizon had absolutely no service on the east wing of the office.

Same thing when I had a staff meeting at: "Javier's," at the Irvine Spectrum. My LTE service indoors was great but AT&T was bouncing between 1 bar of HSPA and totally MIA.

If anyone asks: Density DOES matter especially in urban and suburban areas and T-Mobile delivers here for the most part.
    “The Internet wasn’t meant to be metered in bits and bytes, so it’s insane that wireless companies are still making you buy it this way. The rate plan is dead — it’s a fossil from a time when wireless was metered by every call or text.” John Legere 1/5/2017

Device(s)
    LG G6 (T-Mobile), iPhone 8 (AT&T)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    In SoCal, T-Mobile does have a much better overall urban network, compared IMHO. In rural areas... not so much. I can't always speak for indoor areas either.
    AT&T... your world, throttled.

Device(s)
    A bunch
    Carrier(s)
    Most of them
    Feedback Score
    So, inside the Newport Beach Ralph’s, T-Mobile subscribers can brag the same way millions of Verizon subscribers can in thousands of places across the country where T-Mobile is MIA?

Cool story.

Sent from my iPhone using HoFo

Carrier(s)
    TMobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by clonehappy View Post
    So, inside the Newport Beach Ralph’s, T-Mobile subscribers can brag the same way millions of Verizon subscribers can in thousands of places across the country where T-Mobile is MIA?

Cool story.

Your post makes about as much sense as a baby seal attacking a great white shark. TMobile stinks in some ways but you go out of your way to attack them all the time. Makes no sense

Device(s)
    Samsung Avant, Nexus 5X, Moto G
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, Project Fi, PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    Just an aside here but I think that the combination of cellular dead spots (particularly indoors) and the explosion in the use of online coupons is a good argument for stores to provide free WiFi service to their customers. Same applies to the fact that the employees may not be able to locate a widget but I can go online and find the exact isle and bin number where it's shelved.
    Donald Newcomb

Feedback Score

Cool story.

All these flavors and you choose to be salty.

Feedback Score

Cool story.

Reality hurts sometimes.

Device(s)
    OnePlus 6T
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by @TheRealDanny View Post
    We're you at Ralph's or CVS? I'm familiar with the area. My brother lives in Newport Beach off of MacArthur and Bison and I'm there often. T-Mobile works great inside the condo and everywhere else in the surrounding area.
    I was at Ralph's. While the panels are on top of my building, they aren't visible from the street. They are hidden behind the roof facade. It definitely limits their range, but TMo is great in this little shopping center.

Overall, we need a much higher density network of "towers," even before we worry about mmWave.

I was at Scripps in La Jolla (San Diego area) this morning and TMo LTE was the best by about 15dB over Verizon. The worst was AT&T which was 20dB below Verizon.

Device(s)
    iPhone XS
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    I was at Ralph's. While the panels are on top of my building, they aren't visible from the street. They are hidden behind the roof facade. It definitely limits their range, but TMo is great in this little shopping center.

We need a much higher density network of "towers," even before we worry about mmWave.
    Agreed. Hopefully Orange County is small cell friendly with 5G. I know there is a lot of red tape getting macros out there in some spots.

Device(s)
    OnePlus 6T
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by DRNewcomb View Post
    Just an aside here but I think that the combination of cellular dead spots (particularly indoors) and the explosion in the use of online coupons is a good argument for stores to provide free WiFi service to their customers. Same applies to the fact that the employees may not be able to locate a widget but I can go online and find the exact isle and bin number where it's shelved.
    Totally, but I still have the problem of the handoffs between cell and Wi-Fi, but especially Wi-Fi to cell. More Wi-Fi can make the problem worse, like per the WSJ article I saw not too long ago, where phone keep locking onto Wi-Fi pilot signals (if that's the right term) when it can't pass any useful data thru that Wi-Fi.

Device(s)
    OnePlus 6T
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by @TheRealDanny View Post
    Agreed. Hopefully Orange County is small cell friendly with 5G. I know there is a lot of red tape getting macros out there in some spots.
    It's not, at least when I get it heated arguments with my neighbors on NextDoor about the possibility of putting 5G on our street lights. It was frustrating. They are worried about these causing cancer mostly, when they have so many sources much closer to them in their own homes and in their own hands. They don't understand 1/r^2.