Thread: How Are International Data Speeds?

Device(s)
    Nexus 5X, OnePlus 2
    Carrier(s)
    Project Fi
    Feedback Score

How Are International Data Speeds?

I'm taking a trip to Asia and it will cost me the same amount of money to get a sim card to have full speed data there as it would for me to use Fi. But since I will be using subway systems, slow internet speeds will be even slower underground. So if you have traveled internationally with Fi, how fast or slow has your data speeds been?

For those who are wondering, Fi says that they use T-Mobile for international usage. With T-Mobile, according to some, you have to pay extra for speeds that are faster than 1 Mbps max.

Device(s)
    Pixel 2, Pixel 3, Moto X4, Moto G6, iPhone 6s
    Carrier(s)
    Google Fi; Verizon Prepaid
    Feedback Score
    Generally, Google Fi speeds are better than T-Mobile speeds but each country is different. Google Fi just announced that 33 additional countries have been upgraded to 4G data speeds. Perhaps if you list the countries you are visiting, users who have also visited those countries with Fi can advise what their experiences were.
    Pixel 2, Moto X4 & Moto G6 on Google Fi
    iPhone 6S on Verizon Prepaid

Device(s)
    Samsung S8+ Duos, LG G7
    Carrier(s)
    Google Fi
    Feedback Score
    Actually, the name and model of the phone would help. The country you visit also is important. Without these information, it is hard to give a reply.
    Retired Aerospace Engineer

Device(s)
    Nexus 5X, OnePlus 2
    Carrier(s)
    Project Fi
    Feedback Score
    I'll be in East Asia, Korea, Japan, Hong Kong. I have a Moto X4, but will probably get another OnePlus phone.

Device(s)
    Samsung S8+ Duos, LG G7
    Carrier(s)
    Google Fi
    Feedback Score
    If your Motorola is from Google, you should be OK. It should have comparable radio to work in the countries that you are travelling. I am on T-Mobile before and I travelled to Hong Kong with my Samsung S8+ Duos. I have CSL on SIM 2 and use that for data. I think SIM2 on S8+ only runs on 3G but the speed was much faster than if I use the SIM1 T-Mobile. T-Mobile is very slow. My son went to Hong Kong and he paid the extra speed on T-Mobile. While T-Mobile advertised 2 times the speed, it was still slow. Interesting is T-Mobile connects to the 4G network but the speed is limited. Coverage is fine, speed is just slow.
    This is one of the reasons that I switched to Google Fi. I have heard that Google Fi works great in Hong Kong and even in China. The Google Fi VPN would even work in China (I have a paid VPN already). While my S8+ would work with Google Fi, it does not have all the full features, I even purchase a LG G7 from Google.

Device(s)
    Samsung Alias II
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    My wife's X4, while she was in Japan, acted temporarily as a WiFi hotspot for her.
    We could achieve a medium resolution Google Hangout using it, mid-morning in a far western suburb of Tokyo.

Device(s)
    Nexus 5X, OnePlus 2
    Carrier(s)
    Project Fi
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by chompx2 View Post
    If your Motorola is from Google, you should be OK. It should have comparable radio to work in the countries that you are travelling. I am on T-Mobile before and I travelled to Hong Kong with my Samsung S8+ Duos. I have CSL on SIM 2 and use that for data. I think SIM2 on S8+ only runs on 3G but the speed was much faster than if I use the SIM1 T-Mobile. T-Mobile is very slow. My son went to Hong Kong and he paid the extra speed on T-Mobile. While T-Mobile advertised 2 times the speed, it was still slow. Interesting is T-Mobile connects to the 4G network but the speed is limited. Coverage is fine, speed is just slow.
    This is one of the reasons that I switched to Google Fi. I have heard that Google Fi works great in Hong Kong and even in China. The Google Fi VPN would even work in China (I have a paid VPN already). While my S8+ would work with Google Fi, it does not have all the full features, I even purchase a LG G7 from Google.
    I've hard Fi is faster than T-Mobile as well, even though Fi says that they use T-Mobile for international use. I've never heard about how Fi's speeds are, but I've heard that their speeds are about 2G. I'm concerned since I will be taking subways and will need to know when to transfer trains. If speeds are slow above ground, they will probably be nonexistent underground.

Device(s)
    Nexus 5X, OnePlus 2
    Carrier(s)
    Project Fi
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by carcarx View Post
    My wife's X4, while she was in Japan, acted temporarily as a WiFi hotspot for her.
    We could achieve a medium resolution Google Hangout using it, mid-morning in a far western suburb of Tokyo.
    Any experience while riding on the train or subway? I'm curious about the speeds in those situations.

Device(s)
    Samsung S8+ Duos, LG G7
    Carrier(s)
    Google Fi
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by J Wireless View Post
    Any experience while riding on the train or subway? I'm curious about the speeds in those situations.
    I can speak for Hong Kong only. There is almost never any blind spot in tunnels or subways. The telecommunication companies placed repeaters all over the place.

Device(s)
    Nexus 5X, OnePlus 2
    Carrier(s)
    Project Fi
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by chompx2 View Post
    I can speak for Hong Kong only. There is almost never any blind spot in tunnels or subways. The telecommunication companies placed repeaters all over the place.
    I know Korea operates the same way so that you can use apps that will let you know when to exit and change subway lines without having to go above ground. SK Telecom should have the largest network in Korea, but I'm not sure if T-Mobile uses them or not. T-Mobile's site shows that they have the whole country covered, but when you zoom in for a detailed view, you don't see how much coverage they allow in different areas.