Thread: Prepaid Refills

Feedback Score

Prepaid Refills

I have an autopay, multiline account and purchase refill cards and pins from Callingmart, Target, etc. when they are on sale for at least 10% off. I've accumulated several over the past few months and they expire 90 days after account activation.

1. These refills are activated for use by the retailer when sold. Do they expire, i.e., can I keep them several months prior to activating/loading them to my account?

2. I have no plans to go to another service or carrier. Are there any pitfalls, e.g., hidden fees, if I maintain a 2 month balance on my account? I read in another forum that AT&T will deduct your state's 911 fee if there is a balance remaining on your account. Have no idea as to the accuracy of that comment.

Feedback Score
    1. They don't expire until they are loaded onto the account. From that point, the balance expires based on the expiration date for the denomination of the card. $100 is 365 days from loading onto account, $65 is 90 days etc..

2. My account is not deducted any fees by keeping a balance on the account from prepaid cards. Only the plan cost, $45, is deducted every month after receiving a $20 autopay discount based on the most recent promotion. I'm not sure if you had the daily plan, for example, would result in different fees or additional 911 fees.

Feedback Score
    Thanks gtrunner - Balance info is what I was concerned about. I have 2 lines each on the $50 per month plan. Have autopay and multiline discounts so monthly cost is $70.

Feedback Score
    The good thing is that if you add funds, that expire in 90 days, on Jan 1, they will expire on/about April 1. But if you add more funds before April 1, it makes the whole balance expire based on the expiration date of the newly added funds (so if you add on March 15, it pushes the whole balance expire to June 15). So new funds push out the expiration of old funds, thankfully.

Feedback Score
    If you are concerned about refill expiration dates and you aren't planning on going anywhere soon, just load a $100 refill. That will extend the expiration date of all non-$100 refills for the next 9 months out to a year from the load date of the $100 refill. Since your monthly bill is $70 anyways it isn't that big of a stretch to load $100 - and you'll only need to load $40 the month after.

Feedback Score
    Target has the refills on sale this week for buy one and get 20% off the second one. Given that Callingmart is having fewer 10% off sales, thought I would buy a few extra from Target.

Device(s)
    iPhone X, iPhone 7+
    Carrier(s)
    ATT Prepaid
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jagator View Post
    Target has the refills on sale this week for buy one and get 20% off the second one. Given that Callingmart is having fewer 10% off sales, thought I would buy a few extra from Target.
    I had considered over black friday doing the Target deal, until I realized it was only equivalent to 10% off overall. But if there isn't a big enough sale on Callingmart, I can consider it. Have until early March to buy more time.
    iPhone X is my current primary phone. I have older model iPhones and Moto phones available on other lines. Currently prepaid, though would consider postpaid on right plan.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by kevink1 View Post
    I had considered over black friday doing the Target deal, until I realized it was only equivalent to 10% off overall. But if there isn't a big enough sale on Callingmart, I can consider it. Have until early March to buy more time.
    The net 10% off with the Target BOGO 20% off sales when they have it (or net 14.5% off with the BOGO + REDcard discount) are the best - or more frequently occuring - deals. CallingMart has definitely throttled back their promo discounts, with the current MLK promo at 5% off (using code MLK195 through 01/24/19).

Considering that Target has shifted to the BOGO 20% off deal for the last few sales, I'm wondering if they're doing that rather than a straight 10% off because people aren't taking advantage of the BOGO deal - which would likely make the 20% deal more sustainable.