Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Does T-Mobile carrier lock an unlocked phone on postpaid?

Device(s)
    iPhone 11, iPhone SE, iPhone 6s
    Carrier(s)
    Boom Mobile, RP
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by dandn1321 View Post
    How much does the 7 plus go for?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk
    www.apple.com shows starts at $569.
    iPhone 11 is my current primary phone. I have older model iPhones and Moto phones available on other lines. Trying to simplify to 2 prepaid lines, one on the Verizon network and a limited minute plan on ATT to improve coverage area. 12 month plans to help me fight the urge to switch. The good old days of contracts where you had to pay a hefty ETF to leave

Carrier(s)
    VZW - Work / T-Mobile (iPhone)
    Feedback Score
    If you're willing to take an Apple Refurbished, it's $479 for 32GB.

https://www.apple.com/shop/refurbished/iphone

Click the LEARN MORE button at the top of the page for a description of their refurbishment process. Every Apple refurb gets a brand new outer shell and brand new battery, as well as a one-year Apple warranty. It's basically the same device you'd get if you did a warranty exchange at the Apple store, but packed with the accessories.

I've bought a couple of each of the iPods and iPhones over the years, and found them cosmetically perfect and never had an issue. Of course, your choice whether to buy new or refurb -- just offering another option since you're interested in the iPhone 7 Plus.

Device(s)
    s6 note 4 and 5s
    Carrier(s)
    T Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by high technology View Post
    If you're willing to take an Apple Refurbished, it's $479 for 32GB.

https://www.apple.com/shop/refurbished/iphone

Click the LEARN MORE button at the top of the page for a description of their refurbishment process. Every Apple refurb gets a brand new outer shell and brand new battery, as well as a one-year Apple warranty. It's basically the same device you'd get if you did a warranty exchange at the Apple store, but packed with the accessories.

I've bought a couple of each of the iPods and iPhones over the years, and found them cosmetically perfect and never had an issue. Of course, your choice whether to buy new or refurb -- just offering another option since you're interested in the iPhone 7 Plus.
    I appreciate it it's a lot cheaper than I thought thank you.

Device(s)
    Moto G7 Power, Nexus 5X
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    How much does the 7 plus go for?
    https://www.apple.com/shop/buy-iphone/iphone-7#01,20,30
    Donald Newcomb

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by high technology View Post

Despite the 40 day policy, T-Mobile will unlock existing customer's phones earlier if paid off (or paid in full). 3 of the 4 phones I purchased are already unlocked, and the 4th was requested a day or so ago, so I am waiting for the email confirmation of the unlock on that one.
    I keep hearing this rumor that T-Mobile will unlock any phone as long as it's been used on the network for 40 days. I've never found this to be true, especially with Samsung phones which come with the device unlock app installed on every phone.

I bought my Note 9 in September and every time I run the unlock app and select permanent unlock, it tells me the device in not eligible. I haven't paid off the phone yet. I just ran the unlock app again and was told it was ineligible.

I also had to wait about 7 month after buying a note 8 outright direct from a T-Mobile store on launch day because they said I had already unlocked two phones for the year.

Im my experience, for the most part, they will unlock paid in full soon after purchase or soon after paying off an EIP but not while still on an EIP. They will temporarily unlock a phone while on an EIP.

I'm someone who buys 4-6 phones each year so I have tons of experience with unlocking or in many cases, not being to unlock phones too soon.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by hexonxonx View Post
    I keep hearing this rumor that T-Mobile will unlock any phone as long as it's been used on the network for 40 days. I've never found this to be true
    Really. Really. Well, see below. It's 100% true.

especially with Samsung phones which come with the device unlock app installed on every phone.

I bought my Note 9 in September and every time I run the unlock app and select permanent unlock, it tells me the device in not eligible. I haven't paid off the phone yet. I just ran the unlock app again and was told it was ineligible.
    Correct. T-Mobile sells SIM-locked phones; if you buy it outright or pay it off, AND it's on your postpaid account for 40 days, then they'll unlock it.

But you haven't paid it off yet. You haven't fulfilled the terms of the agreement to unlock it.

The unlock app works just fine. And they unlocked my T-Mobile branded Samsung Galaxy S9+ after 40 days this past summer, no problem--because I fulfilled the terms of the agreement with regard to unlocking. I had bought it outright, no T-Mobile financing involved.

If you owe T-Mobile money, they won't unlock the phone. That's standard practice, frankly. Not sure why you didn't catch that in the T-Mobile terms.

So it's not "rumor" at all. It's fact.

I also had to wait about 7 month after buying a note 8 outright direct from a T-Mobile store on launch day because they said I had already unlocked two phones for the year.
    And that, too, is in their terms. So far you're describing that T-Mobile is doing everything they've agreed to.

Im my experience, for the most part, they will unlock paid in full soon after purchase or soon after paying off an EIP but not while still on an EIP. They will temporarily unlock a phone while on an EIP.
    You're batting 1.000 here. These terms are all well described by T-Mobile.

It's not "rumor". It's true.

I'm someone who buys 4-6 phones each year so I have tons of experience with unlocking or in many cases, not being to unlock phones too soon.
    Then certainly you've heard of or read T-Mobile's terms? They're not hidden, they're widely available, and they're well-known by the people who come here.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by adam1991 View Post
    Really. Really. Well, see below. It's 100% true.

Correct. T-Mobile sells SIM-locked phones; if you buy it outright or pay it off, AND it's on your postpaid account for 40 days, then they'll unlock it.

But you haven't paid it off yet. You haven't fulfilled the terms of the agreement to unlock it.

The unlock app works just fine. And they unlocked my T-Mobile branded Samsung Galaxy S9+ after 40 days this past summer, no problem--because I fulfilled the terms of the agreement with regard to unlocking. I had bought it outright, no T-Mobile financing involved.

If you owe T-Mobile money, they won't unlock the phone. That's standard practice, frankly. Not sure why you didn't catch that in the T-Mobile terms.

So it's not "rumor" at all. It's fact.

And that, too, is in their terms. So far you're describing that T-Mobile is doing everything they've agreed to.

You're batting 1.000 here. These terms are all well described by T-Mobile.

It's not "rumor". It's true.

Then certainly you've heard of or read T-Mobile's terms? They're not hidden, they're widely available, and they're well-known by the people who come here.
    What have not seen as true is where people on this site claim that T-Mobile will unlock a Pune even if it's still being paid for at long as it's been used in the network for 40 days. That's all I'm talking about here. If it was true, they would have already unlocked my note 9 such I bought in September that I'm still paying on.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by hexonxonx View Post
    What have not seen as true is where people on this site claim that T-Mobile will unlock a Pune even if it's still being paid for at long as it's been used in the network for 40 days.
    I've never heard anyone say that, ever.

Can you provide a link to a post here, or anywhere, that more than a few people have said that? Because I've never heard or seen even one person say that "...even if it is still being paid off as long as it's been used on the account for 40 days".

Regardless, that wouldn't be true. T-Mobile won't unlock a phone that THEY'RE financing until it's been paid off.

Maybe you've heard of people getting a phone financed elsewhere. All of the manufacturers, now that phones are gawdawful expensive, are offering THEIR OWN financing. But that wouldn't have any bearing on T-Mobile financing.

That's all I'm talking about here. If it was true, they would have already unlocked my note 9 such I bought in September that I'm still paying on.
    That's because it's not true, it was never true, and will never be true for a phone financed by T-Mobile.

Feedback Score

That's because it's not true, it was never true, and will never be true for a phone financed by T-Mobile.
    And that my friend is the whole point of my post above.

Device(s)
    Moto G7 Power, Nexus 5X
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    I've never heard anyone say that, ever......
    I also don't recall anyone saying that T-Mobile will completely unlock a phone that is not paid off. They may neglect to mention in their post that the phone has to be paid off because the context of the thread doesn't require it but I don't recall anyone saying that T-Mobile will unlock a phone that is still being paid for, except under the terms of the "Lifetime Coverage Guarantee". If anyone actually said something like that, they'd be quickly corrected.

Device(s)
    s6 note 4 and 5s
    Carrier(s)
    T Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by DRNewcomb View Post
    I also don't recall anyone saying that T-Mobile will completely unlock a phone that is not paid off. They may neglect to mention in their post that the phone has to be paid off because the context of the thread doesn't require it but I don't recall anyone saying that T-Mobile will unlock a phone that is still being paid for, except under the terms of the "Lifetime Coverage Guarantee". If anyone actually said something like that, they'd be quickly corrected.
    I got my phone paid off within one day and they were able to override the 40-day requirement and I was able to get my OnePlus 6t unlocked

Device(s)
    iPhone Xs Max, Essential PH-1
    Carrier(s)
    Xfinity Mobile, T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by DRNewcomb View Post
    If you buy an unlocked phone directly from Apple, it will remain unlocked. Note that Apple does not normally sell recently released phones as unlocked. Those phones are reserved for the carriers. Only after some months of sales will they start selling a phone factory unlocked.
    Also, if you buy a phone using Apple's Upgrade program, despite the fact they require you to have a postpaid account through one of the 4 major carriers, the phone is sold unlocked.

Device(s)
    s6 note 4 and 5s
    Carrier(s)
    T Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mogelijk View Post
    Also, if you buy a phone using Apple's Upgrade program, despite the fact they require you to have a postpaid account through one of the 4 major carriers, the phone is sold unlocked.
    What is the upgrade program entail

Device(s)
    iPhone Xs Max, Essential PH-1
    Carrier(s)
    Xfinity Mobile, T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    What is the upgrade program entail

https://www.apple.com/shop/iphone/ip...pgrade-program

It is basically Apple's payment program for the iPhone. You pay for the cost of the phone, plus AppleCare+ (you can choose AC+ with theft and loss protection, it is your choice) over 24 months (paying the first month and taxes when you pick up the phone). After you've made 12 payments, you can upgrade to a new phone; you "trade in" your current iPhone on the Upgrade plan, which wipes out the remaining payments, and start a new 24-month contract. Monthly payments are automatically charged to your credit card.

You have to have a postpaid plan with one of the four major carriers, plus pass a credit check, to qualify for the upgrade plan; however, you are not tied to that carrier, you can switch to one of the other carriers and it won't effect your payment plan. Also, as I stated, the phone is carrier unlocked.

Device(s)
    s6 note 4 and 5s
    Carrier(s)
    T Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mogelijk View Post
    https://www.apple.com/shop/iphone/ip...pgrade-program

It is basically Apple's payment program for the iPhone. You pay for the cost of the phone, plus AppleCare+ (you can choose AC+ with theft and loss protection, it is your choice) over 24 months (paying the first month and taxes when you pick up the phone). After you've made 12 payments, you can upgrade to a new phone; you "trade in" your current iPhone on the Upgrade plan, which wipes out the remaining payments, and start a new 24-month contract. Monthly payments are automatically charged to your credit card.

You have to have a postpaid plan with one of the four major carriers, plus pass a credit check, to qualify for the upgrade plan; however, you are not tied to that carrier, you can switch to one of the other carriers and it won't effect your payment plan. Also, as I stated, the phone is carrier unlocked.
    Well I know my credit isn't all that good but I do have a postpaid plan so I guess I can't use apple them

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast