LG Tribute HD
    Carrier(s)
    TPO
    Feedback Score

Question Weird incoming text with ?

Weird incoming text with ?
    =============================

Thanks for your replies to my threads.

I have LG tribute HD Android phone. I do not have WiFi enabled GV.

I sent a text to my friend using hangout app. He did not receive my text.

I am getting weird showing from his number asking me to downlod a piece. I am not sure, what is this download for.

My friend confirmed that , he did not send this text.

How do I fix /resolve this annoying issues?

I am not sure, how to make a screen shot of this to post it here. I tried Android's step to make screen shot (Hold Power + Vol till click happen).

Thanks for sharing.

Device(s)
    Moto E (T-Mo); LG Fiesta 2 (PPC)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile Prepaid & Page Plus
    Feedback Score
    I'm no great authority on this, and I've seen the large amount of post traffic you've generated surrounding your use of Google Voice and Hangouts. Because it's a large amount of traffic I may not recall it all and thus, may touch on things that have already been covered.

It would, of course, be good to see this "weird showing from his number...". Can't imagine what that might be.

To cover a few bases (because to say, "I sent a text to my friend using Hangout app..." can be revealing in and of itself), Hangouts, as far as messaging, can now only do two things: It can do Instant Messaging to another user who also has the Hangouts app running, using data of some sort (either cellular or Wi-Fi).

And, it can act as a client of the Google Voice platform and send messages through GV using your GV account number identity, to another person's cellular phone number, over the SMS system (i.e. a "text").

Earlier on, Hangouts also used to be able to act as your phone's SMS app and identify your message to others as your native cell number (say, for when you didn't have any type of data connection for Hangouts to work through GV), and you could receive and interact with received SMS messages to your cell number through it. That function was eliminated a couple of years ago. (This function would have made it a lot more like Apple's iMessage feature)

So, for you to use Hangouts to send an SMS through GV, you have to have a GV number, and it should be displayed in the Hangouts Settings area, viewable after you press the account name that should show up, then down below the "Incoming Calls" area. If there's no GV number listed for you there, things aren't going to work. (Oh, and you should have the Messages toggle in that area turned on).

Also, it should be understood that you'd need to be connected to the internet via cellular or Wi-Fi. You do not need to have Wi-Fi Calling through GV for this to work. That's a separate thing.

At least as I see it.

Device(s)
    LG Tribute HD
    Carrier(s)
    TPO
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by whacker View Post

So, for you to use Hangouts to send an SMS through GV, you have to have a GV number, and it should be displayed in the Hangouts Settings area, viewable after you press the account name that should show up, then down below the "Incoming Calls" area. If there's no GV number listed for you there, things aren't going to work. (Oh, and you should have the Messages toggle in that area turned on).

Also, it should be understood that you'd need to be connected to the internet via cellular or Wi-Fi. You do not need to have Wi-Fi Calling through GV for this to work. That's a separate thing.

At least as I see it.
    Thanks for your insight. I did check in my phone.

I am able to see my Google number in GV settings.

My phone shows only Hangout Dialer apps on my phone. The setting in Hangout Dialer apps show my Google account.

If I tap this account, it is showing my google number under incoming calls.

Is it correct?

See the attached screenshot, that shows Tap to download of stuff.

I am getting Dismiss MIP:67 (in black strip) time to time as well.

I have LG Hd tribute HD phone. It suppose to take screenshot, when I press power + vol Down. This key short cut is not working as well.

Thanks for sharing.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Yes, it seems correct so far.

I take it Kurnia is the name of a contact you're trying to send a message to.

It is strange when you say you have the Hangouts Dialer app, but not the main Hangouts app.

You should examine your phone Apps and see if you have Hangouts v27.0.215462205 installed. Should be just under 80 MB large.

The lack of this could explain the problem. The Dialer app doesn't have any function without the central app. Hangouts Dialer app is version 0.1.100944346 and is only around 136 KB in size.

I can't explain those "Tap to download" indications. They may be telling you that you need to download and install the main app, or maybe messages from Kurnia (like pictures or files). No idea, really.

But check for the presence of the full Hangouts app.

Device(s)
    LG Tribute HD
    Carrier(s)
    TPO
    Feedback Score
    Thanks for your replies.

I did uninstall hangout dialer. I picked the Hangout from store. It shows uninstall/Open button. It look like , it is there. I am not able bring this icon to screen. How do I bring hangout icon to my phone screen ?

How do I find version/size of apps?

Thanks for sharing.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Once an app is installed on an Android device, there are generally two ways to put the icon on the Home screen.

If your phone, due to the version of Android, or perhaps the way the phone firmware dictates it or allows it, has what's called an app drawer or app tray, you go there to find the icon, long-press it, and drop it into the Home screen. The app drawer generally has an icon on the Home screen, usually at the bottom row in what's called the Dock, in the middle of the row.

But your phone may not have an app drawer, or you may have the phone set to not use it.

In that case the app's icon could have been put on the Home screen, but just not the main one. Scroll left or right and see how many Home screen panels your phone might have.

If you still don't see it, try long-pressing on an empty section of the Home screen. It might appear in something underneath this area.

Sorry. I don't know the layout of the LG Tribute HD to be able to be more specific as to where things are located.

Version and size of apps info should be in the same area as where you saw the Uninstall and Open buttons.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    I may have misunderstood you when you mentioned you saw the Uninstall and Open buttons. That would be in the Play Store looking at the app listing, if the app was already installed on the phone (which it appears is the case with you).

I was referring to what you would normally see in Settings>Apps on the phone. There would be the app name, Force Stop, Uninstall, and the version and size info.

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    RIMDHoward:

Try sending texts to two or more other different cellular #s. What happens?

Try sending texts from https://hangouts.google.com/ to two or more other different cellular #s. What happens?

Reply back with a concise, but detailed and accurate answer. Otherwise, nobody is going to be willing to keep trying to help you if you keep ignoring questions and suggestions and/or keep replying back with useless, rambling info.
    Vzw-$9.99/mo+$0.25/min-1999-2001
    PagePlus-2001-2015
    LycaMobile-v1-2013-2016
    Selectel Flex-2013-2015
    Puppy-2014
    Tracfone-2015-2016
    TruPhone-2015-
    Red Pocket-2016-2017
    Piranha-2016-
    FreedomPop-GSM-2016-
    T-Mo-Data-2017-
    3-2018-

Ericsson AF738 Jul99-Dec03
    Qualcomm QCP 2760 Dec03-Feb08
    LG VX-8600 Feb08-Apr10
    Samsung Omnia SCH-i910 Apr10-Nov11
    HTC Droid Inc ADR6300 (CM7.2) Nov11-Jun13
    HTC Droid Inc 2 ADR6350 (CM7.2) Jun13-May15
    LG G2 VS980 (Rooted) May15-Apr17
    LG Phoenix 2 Mar17-

Device(s)
    LG Tribute HD
    Carrier(s)
    TPO
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Boz1 View Post
    RIMDHoward:

Try sending texts to two or more other different cellular #s. What happens?

Try sending texts from https://hangouts.google.com/ to two or more other different cellular #s. What happens?

Reply back with a concise, but detailed and accurate answer. Otherwise, nobody is going to be willing to keep trying to help you if you keep ignoring questions and suggestions and/or keep replying back with useless, rambling info.
    I do not have active cell plan on my phone.

From my phone using GV or hangout or whatsapp all text reaching cell #s

From computer after logging with google credentials.

If I pick "MESSAGE" , it is going as phone call.

If I pick "Phone Call" , it is going as phone call.

Thanks for guidance.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    What about finding and placing the Hangouts app icon on your Home screen?

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by RIMDHoward View Post
    I do not have active cell plan on my phone.

From my phone using GV or hangout or whatsapp all text reaching cell #s

From computer after logging with google credentials.

If I pick "MESSAGE" , it is going as phone call.

If I pick "Phone Call" , it is going as phone call.

Thanks for guidance.
    YOU DID NOT FULLY ANSWER MY QUESTIONS!!!!!

HAVING ANY KIND OF "REAL" PHONE # IS NOT RELEVANT WHEN USING HANGOUTS!!!!!

WHATSAPP HAS NOTHING WITH USING HANGOUTS!!!!!

If "From my phone using GV or hangout or whatsapp all text reaching cell #s", then what's the problem!!??!!??

YOUR ORIGINAL POST SAID, "I have LG tribute HD Android phone" AND "I sent a text to my friend using hangout app. He did not receive my text."

Now you say "From my phone using GV or hangout or whatsapp all text reaching cell #s"

If you can't communicate normally, I can't help!
    Weird incoming text with ?
    =============================

Thanks for your replies to my threads.

I have LG tribute HD Android phone. I do not have WiFi enabled GV.

I sent a text to my friend using hangout app. He did not receive my text.

I am getting weird showing from his number asking me to downlod a piece. I am not sure, what is this download for.

My friend confirmed that , he did not send this text.

How do I fix /resolve this annoying issues?

I am not sure, how to make a screen shot of this to post it here. I tried Android's step to make screen shot (Hold Power + Vol till click happen).

Thanks for sharing.

Device(s)
    LG Tribute HD
    Carrier(s)
    TPO
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by whacker View Post
    What about finding and placing the Hangouts app icon on your Home screen?
    I did find the Hangouts app icon buried within Google apps group icon. I am not able to separate it out. Hangout dialer and GV shows as separate icon.

Thanks for asking.

Device(s)
    LG Tribute HD
    Carrier(s)
    TPO
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Boz1 View Post
    YOU DID NOT FULLY ANSWER MY QUESTIONS!!!!!

HAVING ANY KIND OF "REAL" PHONE # IS NOT RELEVANT WHEN USING HANGOUTS!!!!!

WHATSAPP HAS NOTHING WITH USING HANGOUTS!!!!!

If "From my phone using GV or hangout or whatsapp all text reaching cell #s", then what's the problem!!??!!??

YOUR ORIGINAL POST SAID, "I have LG tribute HD Android phone" AND "I sent a text to my friend using hangout app. He did not receive my text."

Now you say "From my phone using GV or hangout or whatsapp all text reaching cell #s"

If you can't communicate normally, I can't help!
    "YOUR ORIGINAL POST SAID, "I have LG tribute HD Android phone" AND "I sent a text to my friend using hangout app. He did not receive my text."

Now you say "From my phone using GV or hangout or whatsapp all text reaching cell #s""

This one related to the context of weird text. I posted screen shot. The text sent to "Kurnia" did not reach him, but I am getting weird text from his number (As shown in attached screen shot)

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    If your LG phone is like mine (Fiesta 2), as you've described it your Hangouts icon is in a "folder" of Google icons (probably containing Gmail, Photos, Maps, YouTube, Drive, etc.).

If you long-press any of those icons you should then be able to drag it out of that folder to anywhere else on the Home screen.

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    "YOUR ORIGINAL POST SAID, "I have LG tribute HD Android phone" AND "I sent a text to my friend using hangout app. He did not receive my text."

Now you say "From my phone using GV or hangout or whatsapp all text reaching cell #s""

This one related to the context of weird text. I posted screen shot. The text sent to "Kurnia" did not reach him, but I am getting weird text from his number (As shown in attached screen shot)
    But your prior post ALSO said "From computer after logging with google credentials. If I pick "MESSAGE" , it is going as phone call." What are you talking about?

Also, you never answered my question "Try sending texts from https://hangouts.google.com/ to two or more other different cellular #s. What happens?"

I'm really trying to help, but you're not making it easy at all!

That screenshot you posted does NOT look like Hangouts. Are you SURE that's Hangouts?

I don't recognize that app interface, and I haven't seen any messages like in your screenshot.

What exactly happens when you "tap to download"?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast