Thread: Anyway to get a Google Fi data only sim to use overseas ?

Device(s)
    nexus and RIP Motorola flip phone
    Carrier(s)
    T -Mobile ATT
    Feedback Score

Anyway to get a Google Fi data only sim to use overseas ?

Hi , is there a workaround to get a Google Fi data only sim cheaper without voice/text ?
    I really only want it for international data , not voice or text ,

I already have a T mobile phone for USA voice and text.

Any ideas ? Thanks
    Wanted: old barnfind VWs and Sports cars ,
    save them from the crusher , I have had my tetanus shots so rust does not scare me ,
    anything considered even parts cars

Device(s)
    Pixel 2, Nexus 6P, Nexus 6
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by trackVW View Post
    Hi , is there a workaround to get a Google Fi data only sim cheaper without voice/text ?
    I really only want it for international data , not voice or text ,

I already have a T mobile phone for USA voice and text.

Any ideas ? Thanks
    No. You have to have regular service before you can order a data only SIM.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using HoFo mobile app

Device(s)
    Pixel XL, OnePlus 2
    Carrier(s)
    Project Fi
    Feedback Score
    Every Fi plan, for now, requires the $20 talk and text plan. I'm guessing that plans and options may change soon, but I don't know what the changes will be.

Device(s)
    Google Nexus One
    Carrier(s)
    T Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by thurr View Post
    Tell me more about Google Fi sim with voice. If I have a active Fi account can this card (placed in another phone) and added to my Fi account?

Would really like to have ‘2 lines’ in one phone. Thx

Device(s)
    Pixel 3a & 4xl; Moto X4 & 7; ZTE R2; iPhone XR
    Carrier(s)
    Google Fi; Visible
    Feedback Score
    This can be done with a dual SIM phone. Some users have their primary cellular SIM in one tray and use a Google FI SIM in the other tray when traveling overseas will use the spare tray for a local foreign SIM.
    Nexus 5x, Pixel 2, 3, 3a, Moto X4, G6 & G7 on Google Fi
    iPhone XR & ZTE R2 on Visible

Device(s)
    Google Nexus One
    Carrier(s)
    T Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bukzin View Post
    Tell me more about Google Fi sim with voice. If I have a active Fi account can this card (placed in another phone) and added to my Fi account?

Would really like to have ‘2 lines’ in one phone. Thx
    Regarding the Fi ‘sim with voice’, how are folks using this? I assume this would be an additional sim
    to your Fi service.

What are you doing with it?

Device(s)
    LG G4, Galaxy S7 Edge, Note 4
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, FreedomPop, TracFone
    Feedback Score
    Regarding the Fi ‘sim with voice’, how are folks using this? I assume this would be an additional sim
    to your Fi service.

What are you doing with it?
    Every Fi account must have at least 1 SIM with Voice. You can't have a data-only SIM without a voice SIM.

There are 2 Fi voice plans, Flexible or Unlimited.

On the Flexible plan, the first SIM costs $20/month for unlimited talk and text plus 1˘/MB for data used. Additional SIMs with voice are $15/month.

The unlimited plan is $70 for 1 line, $120 for 2, $150 for 3, $180 for 4, $225 for 5, $270 for 6. Each line gets 22 GB of high speed data followed by unlimited 256 kbps throttled data

Up to 4 data-only SIMs can be added to each voice SIM. There's no monthly charge for data only SIMs. On the Flexible plan you pay 1˘/MB for the data used, on the Unlimited plan, data only SIMs share the voice SIM's 22 GB.
    Find and compare prepaid plans at https://prepaidcompare.net

Device(s)
    Google Nexus One
    Carrier(s)
    T Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Yeswap View Post
    Every Fi account must have at least 1 SIM with Voice. You can't have a data-only SIM without a voice SIM.

There are 2 Fi voice plans, Flexible or Unlimited.

On the Flexible plan, the first SIM costs $20/month for unlimited talk and text plus 1˘/MB for data used. Additional SIMs with voice are $15/month.

The unlimited plan is $70 for 1 line, $120 for 2, $150 for 3, $180 for 4, $225 for 5, $270 for 6. Each line gets 22 GB of high speed data followed by unlimited 256 kbps throttled data

Up to 4 data-only SIMs can be added to each voice SIM. There's no monthly charge for data only SIMs. On the Flexible plan you pay 1˘/MB for the data used, on the Unlimited plan, data only SIMs share the voice SIM's 22 GB.

Thx I see 'Fi voice SIMs' for sale on Ebay, wondering who is buying these and what they might be doing with them?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Google-Fi-G...UAAOSwcBpdpLPb
    Last edited by bukzin; 10-28-2019 at 04:38 PM.

Device(s)
    LG G4, Galaxy S7 Edge, Note 4
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, FreedomPop, TracFone
    Feedback Score
    Thx I see 'Fi voice SIMs' for sale on Ebay, wondering who is buying these and what they might be doing with them?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Google-Fi-G...UAAOSwcBpdpLPb
    Fi SIMs are free from Google. Paying $25 for one, even if it includes a $20 referral credit is nuts.

Device(s)
    Google Nexus One
    Carrier(s)
    T Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Yeswap View Post
    Fi SIMs are free from Google. Paying $25 for one, even if it includes a $20 referral credit is nuts.

Yeah, I get that. Fi support told me they have two types of SIM's, data only and voice.

Just wondering how folks are using them and why they might pay that much
    for the voice version.

Device(s)
    something free
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile prepaid
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by J Wireless View Post
    Every Fi plan, for now, requires the $20 talk and text plan. I'm guessing that plans and options may change soon, but I don't know what the changes will be.
    But... aren't the $20 plans pro-rated? That's what I remember. So for a 2 week trip to Europe (for example), you'd be billed $10+tax +data? And the data max cost is capped at $60 (6 gigs at $10/gig).

So my plan is the main sim, + 3 data sims for family members. Kids will have strict "No streaming or you're paying with for it with your Christmas money" instructions. In a perfect world, for my 2-week Italy trip we'll be at $10+tax for the one line, plus say, $25 for data (assuming rules are followed) for data used by the main line and the 3 data lines. Seems like a bargain way to keep everyone in contact (probably via hangouts or whatsapp, though I'm sure my kids will lobby for snapchat.

Then I plan to put the account on hold until I go back for a work trip in the late spring.

Anyone see any flaws in this?

Device(s)
    Google Nexus One
    Carrier(s)
    T Mobile
    Feedback Score
    It’s $20 for unlimited talk and text plus $10 per gig of data. Works great in Europe. Even better if you are using one of the Designed for Fi
    phones. Check the Fi site for details on which phones work; its a long list.

Make sure all your calls are thru Viber, WhatsApp, Facebook etc cuz standard calls are billed by the minute.

Double check rates by calling Google Fi.

Device(s)
    Pixel 3a & 4xl; Moto X4 & 7; ZTE R2; iPhone XR
    Carrier(s)
    Google Fi; Visible
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by yellowdog View Post
    But... aren't the $20 plans pro-rated? That's what I remember. So for a 2 week trip to Europe (for example), you'd be billed $10+tax +data? And the data max cost is capped at $60 (6 gigs at $10/gig).

So my plan is the main sim, + 3 data sims for family members. Kids will have strict "No streaming or you're paying with for it with your Christmas money" instructions. In a perfect world, for my 2-week Italy trip we'll be at $10+tax for the one line, plus say, $25 for data (assuming rules are followed) for data used by the main line and the 3 data lines. Seems like a bargain way to keep everyone in contact (probably via hangouts or whatsapp, though I'm sure my kids will lobby for snapchat.

Then I plan to put the account on hold until I go back for a work trip in the late spring.

Anyone see any flaws in this?
    The $20 for text and calls is a flat rate. The data portion of flexible plan is $10 per GB, pro-rated on how much you use.