Thread: MR1100 set ups

Feedback Score

MR1100 set ups

Anyone having good luck with a nighthawk setup that is an improvement over the unite explore? I just got one and trying to find a better set up

Sent from my iPhone using HoFo

Feedback Score
    What do you mean by better setup?

Feedback Score
    Usb or lan is the main thing but any settings that may have improved speed as well , Best way to point it laying down or standing up. Right now i tether to a asus router and have noticed no difference between it and my UE explore which may be just the case

Feedback Score
    For me LAN has worked better. But the differences are negligible. I always have mines laying on its back but I don't really think it matters. I a so upgraded from the Unite Explore and the main advantage has been the LAN port. As far as speeds I've noticed a difference of maybe 5mbps. But likewise my area isn't one of the 5g evolution enabled areas yet. Once that goes live the speeds should be way faster than the Unite Explore. I was a little disappointed that I didn't see bigger improvements but likewise that's an area thing. Both hotspots were getting the most that they could in my area. The speeds on both are comparable to my phones. But my Nighthawk does seem as though it can hold a signal better. When my Explore and phones are struggling the Nighthawk is able to still supply some data. So it's my go to at work. In my office building the signal is very low so my phones time out or are really slow but whenever I have my Nighthawk and connect to it, it's able to pull some decent speeds.

Feedback Score
    I have seen lower pings but not sure on anything else , I was able to lock on to band 12 where I could and confirm it was slower , havenít been able to find the little bit of 17 I can find sometimes. Iím rural but near some of the 5g evolution , but not near enough it appears. Will probably keep it since I wasnít supposed to be able to get it anyway and because it will hopefully do better over time as you say

Device(s)
    iPhone SE
    Carrier(s)
    Starting to think they all suck
    Feedback Score
    I run mine with the battery out, using the OEM power supply, resting on one of these fans (link below.) Linked via ethernet to my router.

IMO this thing generates a lot of heat, even with the battery out and I think the fan makes a difference. The set is two wired together sharing a single USB for power and also includes an open female port for use and a speed control. I run the one under my Nighthawk blowing up and the other and to circulate the air on my shelf.

My Nighthawk used to be hot and cling onto a B12 signal while the Unite Explore would grab a better B2 signal from further away.. With this setup the Nighthawk pulls in the B2 and pulls it stronger than the UE. I donít know if heat was the factor but Iíve had three and they all run too warm, especially with the battery so I know the units arenít defective. Any area that isnít like -90dBm the thing must ramp up the power and it cooks.

https://www.amazon.com/AC-Infinity-M.../dp/B00IJ2J2K0

Carrier(s)
    vzw / tmo
    Feedback Score
    have you guys had problems with the lan connection going to sleep?

Every few days i was having to reboot the routher to "wake" the lan connection back up, for now I've just put it on a timer that causes it to reboot each night at 3am and that seems to have corrected the problem

I was just wondering if anyone else experienced anything similar?

Device(s)
    iPhone SE
    Carrier(s)
    Starting to think they all suck
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by FirefighterEMT View Post

Every few days i was having to reboot the routher to "wake" the lan connection back up, for now I've just put it on a timer that causes it to reboot each night at 3am and that seems to have corrected the problem

Funny you mention that and Iím glad you did because it didnít occur to me... I recently swapped this setup in place of my Verizon GUDP which never had a hiccup. But since Iíve installed the Nighthawk, my Nest Cam has been reporting itself offline for 3-7 minutes at a time every other day at completely random intervals.. I wonder if the ethernet is kicking off.. Gonna check some logs on the router and see if itís dropping WAN at times that correspond to my camera going offline.

Glad you brought that up, Iíll report back if I find something.

Device(s)
    iPhone 11, Samsung SM-N960U
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by FirefighterEMT View Post

Access router admin in a browser, select Settings>Setup>Mobile Router Setup. Scroll down to Ethernet Standby and select "Disabled".

Sent from my [SM-N960U] using HoFo mobile app
    Sent from a Sonim XP-8

Device(s)
    iPhone
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    I don't see any benefit with my Nighthawk compared to my Unite Explore other than the LAN port. That was my reason for buying it. I use it as a backup connection for my network. Speed wise its fine for being a backup.

Carrier(s)
    vzw / tmo
    Feedback Score
    I have it disabled but it still seems to go to "sleep" on its own.

Feedback Score
    It shouldn't go to sleep if it's disabled..I havent had any problems with my ethernet going to sleep once I put the ethernet standby on disabled..I would enable it, reboot and then disable it and reboot. The only time I've lost connecting is when the Nighthawk reboots which seems to randomly happen twice a month. I did notice that my unit gets warm but only when I'm charging the battery. I did have the battery removed but I seemed to experience more random reboots and loss of connectivity for a couple of minutes at a time. I know I've seen posts saying the factory adapter doesn't supply enough power to run it without a battery reliably so it's best to get a QC 3 adapter. I instead decided to put the battery back in it. My newer unit with the added band gets warm but always charges the battery fine. The older unit will get so warm that it stops charging. It does better when it's sitting idle.

I experimented with the settings and these settings seem to get me the fastest responses in apps. I enabled uPNP and set it to id type 1, set the Nighthawk to ip pass-through mode, disabled the router and enabled DMZ. I set the DMZ ip address to the address of my linksys router. After doing that internet responsiveness is way better. Whereas before when streaming on my Apple TV directv now would always give me the loading message (Even when I streamed late at night) and YouTube would buffer for around 20 seconds before it would start playing etc. But after I changed those setting my directv now loads up almost instantly and so does YouTube. I've tested it during different hours and those settings yield the least amount of buffering for me. Of course for gaming the NAT is still strict but at least everything is more responsive. So that may be something you all can experiment with and report your findings

Feedback Score
    Thatís the kind of info I was looking for , with the Mobley plan available again Iím letting someone try mine out to see if they want to get one but will defintely try these settings when I can