Thread: T-Mobile Hotspot Internet

Feedback Score

T-Mobile Hotspot Internet

I have some friends and family members that are T-Mobile customers. If I added a $20/line/month tablet plan, onto their account, can that SIM card be used in a hotspot or is it locked to the tablet?

What is the best way to check the data speed of T-Mobile in my area? I assume the best and easiest is to simply stop at a T-Mobile store.

Device(s)
    LG G6, LG K20 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Not sure how that would work but T-Mobile does have a prepaid tablet/hotspot plan. 10.00 for 2GB 25.00 for 6 GB and others increments. SIM is free to go from hotspot to tablet or the opposite.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim1348 View Post
    If I added a $20/line/month tablet plan, onto their account, can that SIM card be used in a hotspot or is it locked to the tablet?
    If they recognize the device as a hotspot, it won't get full speed data. They used to block it altogether. Now they might just throttle it to 3G speed (512k). Because the T-Mobile One tablet plan does come with Mobile hotspot data at max 3G speeds when you're using the tablet as the hotspot so I'm guessing they might treat a device they know is an actual hotspot the same way.

Here are the details on the T-Mobile One tablet plan:

https://support.t-mobile.com/docs/DOC-36964

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim1348 View Post

What is the best way to check the data speed of T-Mobile in my area? I assume the best and easiest is to simply stop at a T-Mobile store.
    I've found that for whatever reason, T-Mobile speeds are amazing everywhere but in the T-Mobile stores themselves.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Carrier(s)
    VZW - Work / T-Mobile (iPhone)
    Feedback Score
    As noted by the posts above, there are two different plan structures. T-Mobile One is $20 and includes throttled hot spot data speeds. Theoretically, they should throttle a hotspot on this plan, but not sure if they throttle or block a hot spot device. I do know they can detect the devices as the free 200MB/month SIMs don’t work in hotspots.

The other is the Simple Choice data-only plans that offer fixed data buckets and aren’t throttled ($10 for 2GB and $25 for 6GB). These should also work in any device as several people have been using these in phones too.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by gregoryb1 View Post
    I've found that for whatever reason, T-Mobile speeds are amazing everywhere but in the T-Mobile stores themselves.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
    It must be a field eminating from the magenta window lights and displays that blocks cell signals!

Device(s)
    Samsung SM-G960U Galaxy S9
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by billm261 View Post
    Not sure how that would work but T-Mobile does have a prepaid tablet/hotspot plan. 10.00 for 2GB 25.00 for 6 GB and others increments. SIM is free to go from hotspot to tablet or the opposite.
    If you ask a store rep -- any reading can confirm/deny -- they will say that these plans are avail on post-paid also as stand-alone plans. But if you have voice lines, the $20/month Tablet additional line would be a better deal.