Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: SIM (BYOD CDMA TMFL) swap to new unlocked phone

Device(s)
    Moto Z
    Carrier(s)
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score

SIM (BYOD CDMA TMFL) swap to new unlocked phone

I currently have a Tracfone BYOD CDMA TMFL SIM card. I need to buy a new phone due to a battery issue with my current Android phone. I plan on buying a brand new unlocked Verizon compatible Android phone.

Can I just swap the SIM from my current phone to my new phone?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by gmacted View Post
    I currently have a Tracfone BYOD CDMA TMFL SIM card. I need to buy a new phone due to a battery issue with my current Android phone. I plan on buying a brand new unlocked Verizon compatible Android phone.

That usually works if the SIM size is the same. Keep in mind that TF thinks the old phone is active. If you sell the old phone it won't be able to be activated on TF or sister companies.

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2, Moto E5, LG Q6
    Carrier(s)
    TF/AT&T, TF/Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Yes, you can SIM swap if the SIM fits, but the SIM is still tied to the old phone's IMEI. If the new phone is unlocked, it should be in TF/Verizon's whitelist and a new SIM can be activated using the new phone's IMEI. That will remove any entanglement with the old phone.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by hpham View Post
    Yes, you can SIM swap if the SIM fits, but the SIM is still tied to the old phone's IMEI. If the new phone is unlocked, it should be in TF/Verizon's whitelist and a new SIM can be activated using the new phone's IMEI. That will remove any entanglement with the old phone.
    Are new triple unit SIMs readily available? If the user doesn't plan to sell the old phone it's no problem.

Feedback Score
    First, I see "TMFL" allot but can't find what it means? When you tell me I know I'll have a "duh" moment.

As far as the SIM swap. I was told by CSR's at PagePlus...which has the same rules as Tracfone, that swapping SIMs will change the IMEI of the phone for that SIM in their system. I specifically asked them. I wanted to swap phone numbers between phones and sell the older phone. They said just swap the SIMs and the number and balance will follow the SIM and change the IMEI in their system. I said I thought the IMEI is tied to the SIM and phone number and I need to tell them to make sure their system is correct to make sure I can sell the phone I'm swapping from. They (3 different CSRs) specifically said the SIM will tell their system, (I guess when you make a call), the IMEI of the phone it's in and update their system. Now I know these are CSRs and they all tend to tell you something different, but 3 out of 3. So what's the real scoop on this? Was it a use to be that changed?

Device(s)
    motoGplay AT&T , Verizon
    Carrier(s)
    ATT
    Feedback Score
    Can the sim be swapped into a tracfone branded phone? Through that fiasco I pm'd you about yesterday, hpham, the csr transferred from a byop sim to another byop sim. Waste of time and sim, I thought he was doing a merge, but this wan't tf brand. Back to my original question, if I activate a rebel 4 and then later transfer to another phone, can I then swap in another activated sim to use in the rebel 4 assuming both are tf branded?

Device(s)
    motoGplay AT&T , Verizon
    Carrier(s)
    ATT
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by hpham View Post
    Can the sim be swapped into a tracfone branded phone? Through that fiasco I pm'd you about yesterday, hpham, the csr transferred from a byop sim to another byop sim. Waste of time and sim, I thought he was doing a merge, but this wan't tf brand. Back to my original question, if I activate a rebel 4 and then later transfer to another phone, can I then swap in another activated sim to use in the rebel 4 assuming both are tf branded?

Feedback Score
    Best Buy has Tracfone BYOD SIM kits that include triple SIM cards for Verizon, ATT and T-Mobile. You get triples for all 3 carriers in the one kit. $1.00 plus tax. Used them with PagePlus too; no problem.

Device(s)
    Moto Z
    Carrier(s)
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    I do not plan on selling the phone.

Both phones can use a nano SIM card.

TMFL = Triple Minutes For Life

I actually have several TMFL SIM kits that I bought when they started to become scarce.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by rpz1 View Post
    First, I see "TMFL" allot but can't find what it means? When you tell me I know I'll have a "duh" moment.
    Triple Minutes for Life was a Tracfone thing for their original basic phones. A service card applied to a TMFL phone would get triple the minutes of the card.

The original Smartphone SIMs would get triple the units of the minute card in talk minutes, texts, and data MB. Tracfone has gone to different single unit SIMs and service cards for their newer phones. The triple unit SIMs and service cards still work as they did before. Which one is a better deal depends on the usage pattern.

As far as the SIM swap. I was told by CSR's at PagePlus...which has the same rules as Tracfone, that swapping SIMs will change the IMEI of the phone for that SIM in their system. I specifically asked them. I wanted to swap phone numbers between phones and sell the older phone. They said just swap the SIMs and the number and balance will follow the SIM and change the IMEI in their system. I said I thought the IMEI is tied to the SIM and phone number and I need to tell them to make sure their system is correct to make sure I can sell the phone I'm swapping from. They (3 different CSRs) specifically said the SIM will tell their system, (I guess when you make a call), the IMEI of the phone it's in and update their system. Now I know these are CSRs and they all tend to tell you something different, but 3 out of 3. So what's the real scoop on this? Was it a use to be that changed?
    I'm just going by what I have heard. You can check it yourself by trying to activate the old phone after swapping to the new phone. If it's good to activate, it's good to sell.

Feedback Score
    If the existing BYOP SIM is not provisioned for VoLTE, you will not get that feature in the new phone. Without VoLTE the phone will stop working end of this year when Verizon shuts down their CDMA network. VoLTE is provisioned in the phone's account with activation of a VoLTE capable phone. Started around mid-2018, and activations done earlier than that may not have it.

When was the BYOP SIM activated, and with which phone model?

Feedback Score
    I actually have several TMFL SIM kits that I bought when they started to become scarce.
    Transferring service to a new SIM/IMEI might be the best choice. See my previous comments about VoLTE.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    TF/AT&T, TF/Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by rpz1 View Post
    As far as the SIM swap. I was told by CSR's at PagePlus...which has the same rules as Tracfone, that swapping SIMs will change the IMEI of the phone for that SIM in their system. I specifically asked them. I wanted to swap phone numbers between phones and sell the older phone. They said just swap the SIMs and the number and balance will follow the SIM and change the IMEI in their system. I said I thought the IMEI is tied to the SIM and phone number and I need to tell them to make sure their system is correct to make sure I can sell the phone I'm swapping from.
    Let's say your BYOP Samsung has an IMEI of 11111, and you used it to activate a BYOP TF/VZ SIM A. Now you put SIM A into a BYOP LG phone with IMEI of 22222. When your phone makes a call, the carrier knows that SIM A is being used in an LG with IMEI 22222. That info is probably passed on to TF, but so far neither Verizon nor Tracfone has raised a red flag. Our thinking is that in TF system, SIM A is still tied to IMEI 11111. If what the CSRs at Page Plus is told you is correct AND applies to Tracfone as well, then TF system automatically updates their records to tie SIM A to IMEI 22222. To confirm whether or not that is true, you can try using IMEI 11111 to activate a new BYOP TF/VZ SIM (you don't need to actually complete the process). If the whitelist checker gives your an error when you entered 11111, then that IMEI is still tied to SIM A. If it accepts IMEI 11111, then TF system had indeed update its record and now SIM A is tied to IMEI 22222.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bobdevnul View Post
    Triple Minutes for Life was a Tracfone thing for their original basic phones. A service card applied to a TMFL phone would get triple the minutes of the card.

The original Smartphone SIMs would get triple the units of the minute card in talk minutes, texts, and data MB. Tracfone has gone to different single unit SIMs and service cards for their newer phones. The triple unit SIMs and service cards still work as they did before. Which one is a better deal depends on the usage pattern.

I'm just going by what I have heard. You can check it yourself by trying to activate the old phone after swapping to the new phone. If it's good to activate, it's good to sell.
    Just ran the IMEI of the old phone at both Tracfone and PagePLus, both good to go. Maybe the IMEI thing only has to do with the TMFL thing. Sorry when I mentioned the BestBuy kit's thought when triple was mentioned it meant those 3 in 1 cards.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    TF/AT&T, TF/Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by gmannix View Post
    Can the sim be swapped into a tracfone branded phone?
    A BYOP SIM will work fine when swapped into a TF-branded phone. A SIM that came with a TF-branded phone might be "wonky" when swapped into another phone. When I swapped a SIM that came with my TF-branded J3 Sky into my Simple Mobile Moto E5, calls and texts worked fine, but Data was only 3G, not 4G/LTE.

Back to my original question, if I activate a rebel 4 and then later transfer to another phone, can I then swap in another activated sim to use in the rebel 4 assuming both are tf branded?
    Your scenario gives me a headache.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast