Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: weird text message from 611611 every night

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy J7 Sky Pro
    Carrier(s)
    Total Wireless
    Feedback Score

weird text message from 611611 every night

Every night at 11:14 p.m. I get a text message from 611611 that says: "Your Messenger verification code is G-******" (with ****** being a random six digit number).

I get the message regardless of whether I've sent or received any other texts that day. I've texted back "STOP" repeatedly, but I keep getting the message. My phone is actually a Total Wireless phone (Galaxy J7 Sky Pro), but I'm posting here because I understand 611611 to be uniform to Tracfone brands. I've called Total Wireless twice and attempted a chat once. They have no idea what's going on. They tried to blame it on a Facebook app, but I don't have one. They had me reset the phone, which made no difference. I am using the standard Messages app that came with the phone.

There are four phones on this Total Wireless account, and this is the only one that gets the message.

Feedback Score

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2, Samsung J3 Sky, LG Q6
    Carrier(s)
    TF/AT&T, TF/Verizon
    Feedback Score
    A Search on the Internet pointed to Facebook. Perhaps someone tried to sign up with Facebook/Messenger using your phone number.

One time I got a verification from Yahoo Mail for one of my accounts. Apparently someone was trying to log in as me.

Device(s)
    Galaxy J7 Sky Pro SM-S727VL, Galaxy J3 Sky SM-S230VL, ZTE Z723EL, ZTE Z233VL
    Carrier(s)
    Straight Talk, Total Wireless
    Feedback Score
    I got this same message a little over a week ago, but I could not track down to where it came from tho. It is just is hard to know what it is from since it is 611611.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Total Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by hpham View Post
    A Search on the Internet pointed to Facebook. Perhaps someone tried to sign up with Facebook/Messenger using your phone number.

One time I got a verification from Yahoo Mail for one of my accounts. Apparently someone was trying to log in as me.
    Since it's coming from 611611, how could it be coming from Facebook?

I just did another online chat with Total Wireless. Here's what the TW person concluded: "The notification consent has been successfully removed or disable from your account. I apologize for any inconvenience you have experienced due to this issue. Is there anything else that I can assist you with?"

I have no idea what notification consent is. I guess I'll find out at 11:14 tonight if they stopped it.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Total Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by KSSteve View Post
    Since it's coming from 611611, how could it be coming from Facebook?

I just did another online chat with Total Wireless. Here's what the TW person concluded: "The notification consent has been successfully removed or disable from your account. I apologize for any inconvenience you have experienced due to this issue. Is there anything else that I can assist you with?"

I have no idea what notification consent is. I guess I'll find out at 11:14 tonight if they stopped it.
    I got the message again last night at 11:14 despite my chat with TW.

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    I got the message again last night at 11:14 despite my chat with TW.
    There are 21 reports of the same at http://shortcodes.org/uncategorized/611611-short-code/ . None of the reports mention TF or a resolution that I could see.

You can see lots of other references, including on Reddit, with a search like https://www.google.com/search?q=%22Y...+code+is+G-%22 , but I don't know if there's a solution there.

"Messenger" does seem to mostly refer to Facebook Messenger, but with a "G" code, who knows?

Feedback Score
    If it is a real verification code, perhaps it expires after 24 hours and needs a refresh.

You didn't mention having a Facebook account in general. I would just go there using a computer browser and at least change the password. See if there is a way to view alerts. I had a sham Facebook account to access manufacturer coupons, but thought the place was junk and deleted the account. The Tracfone page had stopped having its own customer service agents through messaging anyway. They were tops.

It is possible that Google is blocking texts from certain Facebook things and the 611611 is a substitute source or a total scam spoof. But usually a scam would have a link to click on.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Total Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Boz1 View Post
    There are 21 reports of the same at http://shortcodes.org/uncategorized/611611-short-code/ . None of the reports mention TF or a resolution that I could see.

You can see lots of other references, including on Reddit, with a search like https://www.google.com/search?q=%22Y...+code+is+G-%22 , but I don't know if there's a solution there.

"Messenger" does seem to mostly refer to Facebook Messenger, but with a "G" code, who knows?
    Isn't 611611 only Tracfone?

Feedback Score
    I assume that almost everything can be spoofed.

Feedback Score

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Total Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Lisme View Post
    If it is a real verification code, perhaps it expires after 24 hours and needs a refresh.

You didn't mention having a Facebook account in general. I would just go there using a computer browser and at least change the password. See if there is a way to view alerts. I had a sham Facebook account to access manufacturer coupons, but thought the place was junk and deleted the account. The Tracfone page had stopped having its own customer service agents through messaging anyway. They were tops.

It is possible that Google is blocking texts from certain Facebook things and the 611611 is a substitute source or a total scam spoof. But usually a scam would have a link to click on.
    I don't have a Facebook app on the phone. I will change my password. I looked at the activity on my Facebook account which I use very rarely, and there's nothing that would explain the messages. I deleted my mobile phone number from Facebook.

I also deleted Hangouts and Hangouts Dialer from my phone, thinking the messages might be Google related given the "G." Nothing on my Google activity would explain the messages either.

If I get another text tonight, I'll try another chat with TW tomorrow.

Feedback Score
    Good start.

I don't know if this is possible, but you could change the alerts procedure on Facebook to use your email address. Then if you start getting the alerts by email, you can really see where they are coming from. I believe at least gmail will screen for scam senders. You might have to check the spam folder.

You might also change the email password.

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2, Samsung J3 Sky, LG Q6
    Carrier(s)
    TF/AT&T, TF/Verizon
    Feedback Score
    I don't have a Facebook app on the phone. I will change my password. I looked at the activity on my Facebook account which I use very rarely, and there's nothing that would explain the messages. I deleted my mobile phone number from Facebook.
    Here's my theory.... Someone tried to log into your Facebook account. Either because it's been inactive for a while, or there was a reason for Facebook to suspect tampering (repeated wrong passwords), it sends a confirmation code to your mobile phone number on file. Since TF is the provider of that phone number, the code is sent to Tracfone (611611) for distribution. I've received the confirmation codes from different financial companies, coming from the same short code, like a clearinghouse for them. The screenshot shows security codes from 3 different financial companies, yet they all came from short code 32858.

If you want to experiment, change the mobile number in your Facebook account and see if the confirmation code gets sent to the new number.

Name:  Security-Code-Texts.jpg
Views: 324
Size:  40.5 KB

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Total Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by hpham View Post
    Here's my theory.... Someone tried to log into your Facebook account. Either because it's been inactive for a while, or there was a reason for Facebook to suspect tampering (repeated wrong passwords), it sends a confirmation code to your mobile phone number on file. Since TF is the provider of that phone number, the code is sent to Tracfone (611611) for distribution. I've received the confirmation codes from different financial companies, coming from the same short code, like a clearinghouse for them. The screenshot shows security codes from 3 different financial companies, yet they all came from short code 32858.

If you want to experiment, change the mobile number in your Facebook account and see if the confirmation code gets sent to the new number.

Name:  Security-Code-Texts.jpg
Views: 324
Size:  40.5 KB
    Good idea. When I get home from work, I will change my Facebook mobile number to a different one and see what happens tonight. If I get another message tonight, tomorrow I'm going to change the phone number associated with my Google account and see what happens. I will report back.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast