Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Messages app on Android

Feedback Score

Messages app on Android

Maybe I'm just a dinosaur, but I just noticed that if I want to send a new text, the native messages app no longer has a plain old sms start icon. It says "start chat" and automatically uses mms and bugs me about group messaging and contacts.

I did not notice this before because I just received alerts or just had to verify something via a reply.

This is on Android 8.0 and 8.1.

So how do I get back to basics? I don't like to wade through this clutter. Google must think that everyone operates as a mass all the time.

Device(s)
    LG G2, Moto G5+, Moto E4, (Droid Mini, GS3, Droid4, L41C, Droid3, S390G, LG500G, T404G, T301G, V170)
    Carrier(s)
    Total Wireless (Verizon, Red Pocket, Tracfone)
    Feedback Score
    No experience with that app, I use a different, 3rd party app.

Textra works the same in Oreo as it did on KK. (Baring some cosmetic changes forced by Google).

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2, Moto E5, LG Q6
    Carrier(s)
    TF/AT&T, TF/Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Lisme View Post
    I just noticed that if I want to send a new text, the native messages app no longer has a plain old sms start icon. It says "start chat" and automatically uses mms and bugs me about group messaging and contacts.

This is on Android 8.0 and 8.1.

So how do I get back to basics?
    I use the default Messages app on my Simple Mobile Moto E5, which has Oreo 8.1. It does have the Start Chat button, but I can still send SMS using the following steps.

1. Touch the Start Chat button
    2. On the next screen, type in the (single) phone number, short code, or email address of the recipient. For an example, I just put in 123456.
    3. Then touch "Send to", which is 123456 in this example.
    4. On the next screen, enter your message in the "Text message" box, then touch the SMS/arrow to send. If you want to add an attachment, touch the blue "+" sign, add the attachment, and the SMS will change automatically to MMS.

Name:  Messages-App-1.jpg
Views: 272
Size:  27.3 KB

Name:  Messages-App-2.jpg
Views: 273
Size:  25.0 KB

Name:  Messages-App-3.jpg
Views: 272
Size:  18.4 KB

Name:  Messages-App-4.jpg
Views: 271
Size:  22.3 KB

Feedback Score
    Well, now I feel dumb. I should have messed with it some more. But that's the point. The simplest form should be presented first. You know, like you need only one simple first page to do a simple sms, like I believe it was before this monstrosity. Then if you need something fancier, you move to the fancy page. Needing more than a first page is just bloat for 99% of users.

I am not one of those idiots who texts while driving, or does anything cellphone related for that matter, but I can see how this app could make the distraction worse.

Device(s)
    LG G2, Moto G5+, Moto E4, (Droid Mini, GS3, Droid4, L41C, Droid3, S390G, LG500G, T404G, T301G, V170)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    I just tested it and it's no different in use. Just a different look/ name.

From an existing thread just type in the reply box at the bottom and hit send.

Or hit "start" which is just "new message"
    Enter/search/select recipient, type and hit send.

Not sure what you think is different. Every messaging app I use (have used) follows the same.
    (Different SMS apps, Hangouts, Facebook, GV)

The only excess step is selecting the number you type vs a contact in the case of sending to a number that's not in your contacts.

But it's been like that for years, since they started searching contacts based on what you were typing.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    TF/AT&T, TF/Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Well, the new Messages app in Oreo does take one extra step, making it 4. The old app takes 3:
    1. Touch "New Message".
    2. Type in the recipient(s).
    3. Type in your message and send.

The old app doesn't need the step of touching the "Send to" before the message box shows up.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    I'd have to check others apps, but I don't remember not having to select a contact or the entered number in a messaging app for a long time.

The last time I'm sure of was a dumb phone I used in Africa 3 yrs ago.
    Last edited by ST Dog; 01-24-2019 at 03:30 PM.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    TF/AT&T, TF/Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ST Dog View Post
    I'd have to check others apps, but I don't remember not having to select a contact or the entered number in a messaging app for a long time.
    That's step 2 in my post #6 above.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    TF/AT&T, TF/Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Here's how simple it is to send a text message on an older Messages app on my J3 Sky (Android 6.0.1) before Google added the silly "Start Chat" button.

1. Touch the pencil icon to start a new message.
    2. Fill in the recipient name(s) or phone number(s), type in your message (on the same screen), touch SEND.

Name:  Messages-App-5.jpg
Views: 215
Size:  25.2 KB

Name:  Messages-App-6.jpg
Views: 217
Size:  30.9 KB

Feedback Score
    The change in Google Messages is to implement RCS Chat, which is the replacement for SMS/MMS. Not fully supported by the carriers yet.

Chat features (RCS)
    On supported carriers, you can send and receive messages over Wi-Fi or your data network, see when friends are typing or when they have read your message, share images and videos in high quality, and more.
    Messages is supported on devices running Android™ 5.0 Lollipop and above.

It does have the "Messages for web" feature, where you can link to other devices over WiFi. I use it on my computer browser to read/write to the phone messaging system. Computer acts like a terminal using WiFi, and the phone can use either WiFi or cell data.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    TF/AT&T, TF/Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by loboheeler View Post
    ...see when friends are typing or when they have read your message
    Too much snooping for my taste.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by hpham View Post
    Too much snooping for my taste.
    Looks like Verizon has RCS Chat on their messaging app. I was under the assumption that it only worked on some enabled phones.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...ssaging.vzmsgs

https://turkforums.jcink.net/index.php?showtopic=140

Device(s)
    LG X1
    Carrier(s)
    Xfinity Mobile
    Feedback Score
    i installed the verizon messaging app.. not sure if I like it or not.. will take more exploring to figure it all out.. There are some features I like.. You can set it to know when you connected to your car and send an auto reply if you get an incoming txt.. that might be good..

Feedback Score
    Kind of off topic but an FYI...

I have a LG G2 Verizon that I'm using on TF ATT towers and MMS attachments quit working. Said something like unavailable or expired, would not recv the attachment. After a lot of fiddling with APN settings and apps I found the fix to be installing Textra, it just worked right way, and also seems to turn on data as needed. Kind of cool.

Neither stock android messaging or google messages would work either.

It's odd because the exact same APN settings on a Moto X first gen works fine...

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bigbw View Post
    i installed the verizon messaging app.. not sure if I like it or not.. will take more exploring to figure it all out.. There are some features I like.. You can set it to know when you connected to your car and send an auto reply if you get an incoming txt.. that might be good..
    What does it connect to in the car?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast