Thread: OpenSignal: Verizon finally dethrones T-Mobile in latest wireless network ranking

Device(s)
    iPhone XS
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    15 (100%)

OpenSignal: Verizon finally dethrones T-Mobile in latest wireless network ranking

Say it isn't so? LOL

https://www.cnet.com/news/verizon-de...deo-streaming/

"For the last two years T-Mobile has been the dominant operator...across our metrics, winning most of our speed and availability awards in OpenSignal's last three reports. But we see a newly resurgent Verizon," the tracking company said in its new report. "Verizon has either caught up to or surpassed T-Mobile in nearly every one of our primary metrics."

Verizon won outright in 4G coverage, video streaming quality and upload speeds. T-Mobile and Verizon tied in download speeds. And AT&T won in the fifth category: latency, which measures network response time.

Verizon can't rest on its laurels, though. "In every metric Verizon won, T-Mobile is a very close second in our analysis," OpenSignal said.
    “The Internet wasn’t meant to be metered in bits and bytes, so it’s insane that wireless companies are still making you buy it this way. The rate plan is dead — it’s a fossil from a time when wireless was metered by every call or text.” John Legere 1/5/2017

Feedback Score
    I see Open Signal showing some T-mobile life in Leelanau County. That's a good sign.

I know well that the coverage might be much much larger, but shows lower than it really is just to people not even trying T-Mobile in "The County" because they don't expect it to work. It's just part of the overall sloppiness that lowers the value of relying on "Open Signal" for coverage judgement. There you go, a criticism of "Open Signal" in regards to its T-Mobile conclusions that points out that Big Magenta might even be better than "Open Signal" said it is!

Again, I think a truly objective comparison (with statistically valid data selection) would be the best for any conclusions.

I also noticed that the "tins cans connected by string" network (the yellow one) was left out of the summary paragraph you quoted! Sprint is not even trying. They haven't for many many years.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by NotABiot View Post
    ...I know well that the coverage might be much much larger, but shows lower than it really is just to people not even trying T-Mobile in "The County"...
    Exactly! T-Mo would score a lot lower if the testing averaged in all of the zeros where Verizon and AT&T work, but T-Mo doesn't.

That said, T-Mo is building and improving. I expect they will get to be a credible nationwide network in a few years.

Device(s)
    iPhone XS Max
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bobdevnul View Post

That said, T-Mo is building and improving. I expect they will get to be a credible nationwide network in a few years.
    To be fair, Verizon is the one who is “building and improving” according to the article.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by p6B5Nm5b View Post
    To be fair, Verizon is the one who is “building and improving” according to the article.
    They both are, and AT&T is too - Sprint, some but not much.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bobdevnul View Post
    Exactly! T-Mo would score a lot lower if the testing averaged in all of the zeros where Verizon and AT&T work, but T-Mo doesn't.
    And you know this for a fact, how?

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S9
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    I'm not speaking for him and I can't say as I don't have T-Mobile but one main complaint about these crowd-sourced tests is that it a) only accounts for people who actually have data service and b) are spending their time running tests. Well you can't run your tests if you can't connect so naturally they're not accounting for the areas where these networks truly do not operate well since the very small amount of people who would run speedtests don't bother unless they're hellbent on trying to prove there is little to no service in a particular area.

I'm a proponent of the drive tests in these types of studies in that regard but that's not to take away the fact that there is some data worth collecting from the crowd-sourced tests which do account for user speeds at a particular location and a particular time on a particular device.

Another thing to consider that does seem to pop up and be dismissed is that even though T-Mobile is steadily keeping up with Verizon in these studies with regards to speed they're not dealing with nearly the amount of traffic that Verizon is. T-Mobile can keep saying they're the network built for true unlimited data but if they're just barely beating or keeping up with Verizon (and I only say this because they seem to making them their target as the main competitor) than they have some work to do to keep their customers happy as more and more pile on the infrastructure.

Device(s)
    Samsung Avant, Nexus 5X, Moto G
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, Project Fi, PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    I think T-Mobile is probably a victim of their own success. More customers but little new bandwidth leads to congestion.
    Donald Newcomb

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by daleraver View Post
    And you know this for a fact, how?
    I couldn't parse his sentence.

Device(s)
    Pixel 2, Pixel 3, Moto X4, Moto G6, iPhone 6s
    Carrier(s)
    Google Fi; Verizon Prepaid
    Feedback Score
    None of these tests mean a damn thing. In that article, the only thing that rang true is it all depends where you are in terms of who’s the best carrier. Location, location, location. I would say the only advantage Verizon, and to a slightly lesser extent AT&T, have is that they cover a larger geographical footprint at the present time. It’s all ice cream, do you like vanilla or chocolate?
    Pixel 2, Moto X4 & Moto G6 on Google Fi
    iPhone 6S on Verizon Prepaid