Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: No Wifi calling No Visual Voicemail Iphone 8

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by hengy View Post
    Looks like I only have regular VM, not VVM.
    As per your statements in Post #26, your VM may have been set back to Basic in the account. Your earlier comments about gibberish messages with a VM message are from an account set to VVM, but a phone that can't receive them.

Was this phone activated with a new SIM, and not using the old SIM from the 5s?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by loboheeler View Post
    As per your statements in Post #26, your VM may have been set back to Basic in the account. Your earlier comments about gibberish messages with a VM message are from an account set to VVM, but a phone that can't receive them.

Was this phone activated with a new SIM, and not using the old SIM from the 5s?
    This phone was activated with the Sim from the 5S.
    Are you saying that VVM is available? Do I need a new Sim? Even though PP said I did not?

Feedback Score
    This phone was activated with the Sim from the 5S.
    Are you saying that VVM is available? Do I need a new Sim? Even though PP said I did not?
    Not sure where you'r at right now. Don't think the 5s SIM should have been used in the 8 at all. A regular service transfer activation from the 5s to the 8 had a better chance of enabling VoLTE and VVM. A fresh start would be a good thing. PP CS can be full of it.

Feedback Score
    Not sure where you'r at right now. Don't think the 5s SIM should have been used in the 8 at all. A regular service transfer activation from the 5s to the 8 had a better chance of enabling VoLTE and VVM. A fresh start would be a good thing. PP CS can be full of it.
    This is from the PP site

To setup your voice mail, dial *86 from your Page Plus device and follow the automated voice prompts. If for some reason you cannot access your voice mail by dialing *86, please dial #738. When initially prompted to enter your password, please enter your full 10-digit Page Plus phone number. Unfortunately, we do NOT provide support for visual voice mail.

Just because they don't provide support for VVM doesn't mean the don't offer VVM. Will try to contact them about replacing my SIM card.

Feedback Score
    This is from the PP site

To setup your voice mail, dial *86 from your Page Plus device and follow the automated voice prompts. If for some reason you cannot access your voice mail by dialing *86, please dial #738. When initially prompted to enter your password, please enter your full 10-digit Page Plus phone number. Unfortunately, we do NOT provide support for visual voice mail.

Just because they don't provide support for VVM doesn't mean the don't offer VVM. Will try to contact them about replacing my SIM card.
    My experience on all my phones is that having VVM active will give you the regular VM notification instead of some garbled text some have mentioned (if their phone doesn't support VVM).
    After the notification you still have to dial in to *86 to hear your VM even if your phone supports VVM. You can not actually listen to or see the voice mail (or however real VVM works) via whatever VVM app is in your phone. So basically it's not supported in that regard.

Feedback Score
    Unfortunately, we do NOT provide support for visual voice mail.

Just because they don't provide support for VVM doesn't mean the don't offer VVM.
    The MVNO providers have very little control of any voicemail, as it's a direct carrier service. They do have some control of VVM, as some users with incapable phones have had them turn off VVM in the account so as to get regular notifications without the garbled text notifications. Example is the later model flip phones that do not have VVM, but the account get's provisioned for it at activation. Others have VVM disabled so as to not get a data charge with messages. Not all CSRs can do this.
    Last edited by loboheeler; 05-21-2019 at 07:25 PM.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by rpz1 View Post
    My experience on all my phones is that having VVM active will give you the regular VM notification instead of some garbled text some have mentioned (if their phone doesn't support VVM).
    After the notification you still have to dial in to *86 to hear your VM even if your phone supports VVM. You can not actually listen to or see the voice mail (or however real VVM works) via whatever VVM app is in your phone. So basically it's not supported in that regard.
    Yes, having a capable phone and an enabled VVM account should give regular type notifications. That may vary by phone type. Specifically if VVM is handled by the phone dialer app, or has a carrier app installed.

You don't have to dial *86 to hear VM messages with VVM if the phone and account are enabled. The information and an audio file are downloaded to your phone. There are separate networks for VM and VVM, but they interact with each other. One is cell network based, and the other Internet based.

Name:  Screenshot_20190521-153157.jpg
Views: 152
Size:  29.3 KB
    Last edited by loboheeler; 05-21-2019 at 07:31 PM.

Feedback Score
    Yes, having a capable phone and an enabled VVM account should give regular type notifications. That may vary by phone type. Specifically if VVM is handled by the phone dialer app, or has a carrier app installed.

You don't have to dial *86 to hear VM messages with VVM if the phone and account are enabled. The information and an audio file are downloaded to your phone. There are separate networks for VM and VVM, but they interact with each other. One is cell network based, and the other Internet based.

Name:  Screenshot_20190521-153157.jpg
Views: 152
Size:  29.3 KB
    I get that screen and tried the download but it didn't work. I assumed it was because VVM wasn't supported in that manner by PPC. But I didn't have data on.
    Do you need data on; or will wifi work too ?
    If data is needed how much data vs just calling *86 and incurring minutes ? (I'm on PayGo)
    Or was my first assumption correct ? ( the phone may be capable but PPC doesn't support it)

Assuming I could use that; wouldn't I still need to go into *86 to manage messages? (like delete it later etc.)

Thx

Feedback Score
    I get that screen and tried the download but it didn't work. I assumed it was because VVM wasn't supported in that manner by PPC. But I didn't have data on.
    Do you need data on; or will wifi work too ?
    If data is needed how much data vs just calling *86 and incurring minutes ? (I'm on PayGo)
    Or was my first assumption correct ? ( the phone may be capable but PPC doesn't support it)

Assuming I could use that; wouldn't I still need to go into *86 to manage messages? (like delete it later etc.)
    You have to have data on to download the VVM message information including the audio file. You don't have to have data on all the time though. You can periodically turn it on, and the stored VVM messages will then download. To get messages real time, data must be on all the time. I keep it on for other reasons too. Downloads are not manual, it just happens when the conditions are right.

DISCLAIMER! My cost analysis is based on Tracfone data prices, which are $10 per GB or about 1 cent per MB. PPC PayGo may not compare.
    I initially estimated the initial download of a VVM is about 100KB. Even with some other overhead data use, that is a very small cost. Way less than using talk minutes to access *86.

You can do most anything that is essential from the VVM menu. The super thing is to be able to listen to the messages over and over and do it quickly. That is NOT the case with *86!
    Last edited by loboheeler; 05-22-2019 at 03:00 PM.

Feedback Score
    You have to have data on to download the VVM message information including the audio file.
    Thanks. I turned on data to give it a try. Had to enter my VM pass code in the VVM settings but worked quick and clear with the audio. So PPC does totally support VVM.
    Didn't get a good data read on it. I'll see in a couple days when it posts in my online usage account. But then when I turned my data off my calls and data went to 1x/EVDO. I checked my APN and it was deselected! Weird. Reselected it and everything went back to LTE. Don't know how that could have happened, phone bug ??

Another weird thing. I get allot of robo calls. (2-3 a day). They only ring a couple times and it's on a phone that nobody I know has the number to so I never answer them. Sometime (but rarely) they continue to ring till they'd go to voice mail; and the robo leaves a message.
    I can tell since the VVM tells me the number and it's the same as the call I didn't answer. Yesterday I got a VVM notification; but never had received any calls prior to that. Is there a way someone...or the robo's can go directly to VM without first ringing/calling your phone ?

Feedback Score
    Thanks. I turned on data to give it a try. Had to enter my VM pass code in the VVM settings but worked quick and clear with the audio. So PPC does totally support VVM.
    Didn't get a good data read on it. I'll see in a couple days when it posts in my online usage account. But then when I turned my data off my calls and data went to 1x/EVDO. I checked my APN and it was deselected! Weird. Reselected it and everything went back to LTE. Don't know how that could have happened, phone bug ??

Another weird thing. I get allot of robo calls. (2-3 a day). They only ring a couple times and it's on a phone that nobody I know has the number to so I never answer them. Sometime (but rarely) they continue to ring till they'd go to voice mail; and the robo leaves a message.
    I can tell since the VVM tells me the number and it's the same as the call I didn't answer. Yesterday I got a VVM notification; but never had received any calls prior to that. Is there a way someone...or the robo's can go directly to VM without first ringing/calling your phone ?
    Good to see VVM works. Does it work for anyone with an IPhone?

Feedback Score
    APNs are an LTE thing, and are not needed for 2G/3G. It is fairly recent that you could even see the APN on phones used for CDMA/LTE service. You usually can't edit them in detail like you can on GSM/LTE phones. I never had a GSM/LTE smartphone, so don't know much about it.

Feedback Score
    Robo calls are a difficult thing to combat. The problem is some legitimate call numbers can look like spam call numbers, because the real numbers are hidden. Seldom do I see spam calls that go to voicemail.

https://www.theverge.com/2019/5/3/18...legere-telecom

Feedback Score
    APNs are an LTE thing, and are not needed for 2G/3G. It is fairly recent that you could even see the APN on phones used for CDMA/LTE service. You usually can't edit them in detail like you can on GSM/LTE phones. I never had a GSM/LTE smartphone, so don't know much about it.
    Thx, I understand that. My E4 is always on LTE, but I don't use data. My APN is always high-lighted (active).
    My issue was that when I turned data off (after the VVM test), my APN became deselected thus the 3G instead of LTE.
    I'll see next time I have a need to turn data on and see if it kills the APN when I turn it back off.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3