Thread: The old HSPA network (3G)

Device(s)
    iPhone X
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers Wireless
    Feedback Score

The old HSPA network (3G)

Just doing a bit of reading online (out of boredom) and came across some old news releases about Rogers launching 3G way back.

It looks like they originally launched 3G 3.6 Mbps in 2006, upgraded to 7.2 Mbps in 2008, and finally upgraded to 21 Mbps HSPA+ in 2009.

Bell on the other hand launched 3G 21 Mbps HSPA+ right from the get-go in 2009 and then upgraded to 42 Mbps DC-HSPA+ in 2010.

Did Rogers ever upgrade their 3G network to dual cell 42 Mbps after like Bell? Or did they just leave it at 21 Mbps and then skipped to LTE. Canít seem to find any news releases of them launching dual cell, but thereís loads for Bell, Telus, Freedom etc.

Also for all carriers now what is the setup of each of their current 3G networks? Has the decommissioning started at all?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by newfoundlander1 View Post
    Just doing a bit of reading online (out of boredom) and came across some old news releases about Rogers launching 3G way back.

It looks like they originally launched 3G 3.6 Mbps in 2006, upgraded to 7.2 Mbps in 2008, and finally upgraded to 21 Mbps HSPA+ in 2009.

Bell on the other hand launched 3G 21 Mbps HSPA+ right from the get-go in 2009 and then upgraded to 42 Mbps DC-HSPA+ in 2010.

Did Rogers ever upgrade their 3G network to dual cell 42 Mbps after like Bell? Or did they just leave it at 21 Mbps and then skipped to LTE. Canít seem to find any news releases of them launching dual cell, but thereís loads for Bell, Telus, Freedom etc.

Also for all carriers now what is the setup of each of their current 3G networks? Has the decommissioning started at all?
    I think I read somewhere that Bellus actually downgraded to HSPA + 21 Mbps to refarm some spectrum to LTE, like band 5 and band 2.

Sent from my SM-G960W using HoFo mobile app

Device(s)
    iPhone X
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ravercwb View Post
    I think I read somewhere that Bellus actually downgraded to HSPA + 21 Mbps to refarm some spectrum to LTE, like band 5 and band 2.

Yeah I read rumours of that too. Is there any way to confirm on a device if youíre picking up DC or just regular 21 Mbps? Like in an android field test mode somewhere? I own an iPhone and canít find anything.

Carrier(s)
    Telus
    Feedback Score
    Yeah I read rumours of that too. Is there any way to confirm on a device if you’re picking up DC or just regular 21 Mbps? Like in an android field test mode somewhere? I own an iPhone and can’t find anything.
    I can only confirm for the Sydney, NS and surrounding area but Belus is running 5 mhz for both 850 and 1900 HSPA. We lost DC a year and a half or so.

Device(s)
    iPhone X
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers Wireless
    Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by CTremblay85 View Post
    I can only confirm for the Sydney, NS and surrounding area but Belus is running 5 mhz for both 850 and 1900 HSPA. We lost DC a year and a half or so.
    Ok Iíd say down here on the rock is the same since weíre practically neighbours lol and they usually like to keep Atlantic Canada in general with the same configurations when possible (Also seems to be true with Rogers).

What kind of speeds are you getting on Bell 3G these days in Sydney without DC?

Carrier(s)
    Telus
    Feedback Score
    Ok I’d say down here on the rock is the same since we’re practically neighbours lol and they usually like to keep Atlantic Canada in general with the same configurations when possible (Also seems to be true with Rogers).

What kind of speeds are you getting on Bell 3G these days in Sydney without DC?
    Last time I did any 3G speed tests (a couple months ago), it was like 6-7 down and 1-2 up

Carrier(s)
    Telus
    Feedback Score

Thatís still very usable. Iím not sure how the Rogers HSPA network performs out east these days, but around here itís completely useless. Even within good distance to a nearby tower and decent signal, itís under 1Mbps and even just browsing websites sometimes timesout and indicates thereís no network connection. So either Rogers is reframing a lot of it to LTE or itís still very congested as itís always been.

Sent from my iPhone using HoFo

Device(s)
    iPhone X
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by toolcube View Post
    Thatís still very usable. Iím not sure how the Rogers HSPA network performs out east these days, but around here itís completely useless. Even within good distance to a nearby tower and decent signal, itís under 1Mbps and even just browsing websites sometimes timesout and indicates thereís no network connection. So either Rogers is reframing a lot of it to LTE or itís still very congested as itís always been.

Sent from my iPhone using HoFo
    Yeah both are definitely still nice and usable out here. Hereís a couple of Speedtests I did downtown in my office this morning (concrete building with hardly any windows). First one is Rogers 3G on 850 MHz and the second one is Rogers-EXT (Bell) on 1900 MHz. Bell came out slightly on top but both are almost the same.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ravercwb View Post

For B5 (850), all HSPA for Bell/Telus is single-carrier now. 5 MHz HSPA and 5 MHz LTE.
    For B2 (1900), it's regional. If C2+C3 blocks are owned by Bell/Telus, it's a good bet that DC-HSPA is still configured.
    Want to learn more about how LTE works?
    https://productioncommunity.publicmo...ls/td-p/130581

Device(s)
    iPhone X
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by sheytoon View Post
    For B5 (850), all HSPA for Bell/Telus is single-carrier now. 5 MHz HSPA and 5 MHz LTE.
    For B2 (1900), it's regional. If C2+C3 blocks are owned by Bell/Telus, it's a good bet that DC-HSPA is still configured.
    Interesting, thanks Sheytoon! You wouldnít happen to know whether Rogers has ever had DC-HSPA+ in the past by any chance would you?

Feedback Score
    I believe they had it for B2. Not sure of the status these days.

Device(s)
    LG G6 (T-Mobile), iPhone 8 (AT&T)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    If you go up to NW Ontario, you'll find that much of the network is still 3G only.
    AT&T... your world, throttled.

Device(s)
    Nexus 6P, OnePlus One, Moto E 2nd gen.
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    In Vancouver Big 3 + Freedom all downgraded from DC-HSPA+ to HSPA+. Rogers and Bellus seem to only have 1 band 5 and band 2 carriers for HSPA+ with a spare carrier or two that sometimes gets dynamically added (or just is always present in denser areas).