Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Completely FREE wifi calling alternatives to TextNow, any review sites listing them?

Device(s)
    Samsung
    Feedback Score

Completely FREE wifi calling alternatives to TextNow, any review sites listing them?

TextNow is a good FREE wifi calling app that has unlimited calls/text. The downside is ads, but that is understandable since they are offering the service for free.

I was wanting to know what other apps have a similar service, where you can get a free phone # and use it for free calls/texts. Surely there must be a site or link that has done a review of such similar apps.

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    I personally also use TextNow, but my use purpose is to have a Canadian phone #.

The best most stable ad-free alternative is Google Voice, which I use for my primary communication method.

Text Free is another alternative.

Talkatone is another alternative.

I'm sure there are other services that others will mention.

Device(s)
    iPhone 7, LG G Stylo 3 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T, Red Pocket-A
    Feedback Score

Completely FREE wifi calling alternatives to TextNow, any review sites listing them?

Quote Originally Posted by bullown View Post
    TextNow is a good FREE wifi calling app that has unlimited calls/text. The downside is ads, but that is understandable since they are offering the service for free.

I was wanting to know what other apps have a similar service, where you can get a free phone # and use it for free calls/texts. Surely there must be a site or link that has done a review of such similar apps.
    They all have ads if that’s what your trying to rid of. Free wise anyway. Test now is most likely one of the better ones other than Google hangouts which would be the best in most cases

Only one that has no ads I would recommend is google voice/hangouts

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Current Phone: AT&T iPhone 7 128GB Gold
    867-5309 Line: LG G Stylo 3 Plus

I am no longer a U.S.Cellular User.
    Speedtest in Knox.TN EvDo Rev.A

My Photography www.hunterspad.com

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S8, iPad Mini 4, Blackberry KEYone
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Text now is good but if you don't make at least one call per week i think they will recycle your number.. $2.99 will save your number from being recycled

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Whitieiii View Post
    Text now is good but if you don't make at least one call per week i think they will recycle your number.. $2.99 will save your number from being recycled
    I can't promise that this is always the case, but in my experience with TextNow, it's much longer than a week. Also, TextNow will send a message telling you that you need to make a call or send a text before they deactivate a #.

Anyway, like I already mentioned above, Google Voice is the best and most stable free / ad-free alternative.

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S8, iPad Mini 4, Blackberry KEYone
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Boz1 View Post
    I can't promise that this is always the case, but in my experience with TextNow, it's much longer than a week. Also, TextNow will send a message telling you that you need to make a call or send a text before they deactivate a #.
    Ok ya i didn't know exactly but I know it's less than a month of no activity

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Device(s)
    Motorola MOTO X4, Iphone 6S On VZW (Wife's)
    Carrier(s)
    GoPhone, Verizon
    Feedback Score

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Dust N Bones View Post
    Okay. I didn't realize TextFree was limited to 60 minutes/mo. Based on the info at that link, of the 5 listed there, only GV and TextNow are options for the OP without "strings" or "hoops". That list is limited. I'm not sure why it didn't include Talkatone that I mentioned above.

I still think GV would be the best alternative to TextNow for the OP to get away from ads.

Device(s)
    Samsung
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Boz1 View Post
    I still think GV would be the best alternative to TextNow for the OP to get away from ads.
    Nobody as a user wants ads, but its a fair trade-off in order to get a free service. I wasn't asking for a service with no ads. I can live with ads as a part of the deal.

Device(s)
    Samsung
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Dust N Bones View Post
    Thanks for the link. Does there exist a Google Spreadsheet or website with a table, listing the various ones to compare them. I was hoping to find a useful table similar to what CellGuru.net made for regular prepaid calling....but for free wifi calling with a phone number.

Which free wifi calling apps work while outside US/Canada to send/receive calls/texts to USA? While theoretically all could be allowed to work anywhere in the world, Ive read that some will read the IP address to block usage if the IP address is outside of US/Canada. As one purpose, I want to have choices to use when travelling.

Feedback Score
    Thanks for the link. Does there exist a Google Spreadsheet or website with a table, listing the various ones to compare them. I was hoping to find a useful table similar to what CellGuru.net made for regular prepaid calling....but for free wifi calling with a phone number. Which free wifi calling apps work while outside US/Canada to send/receive calls/texts to USA? While theoretically all could be allowed to work anywhere in the world, Ive read that some will read the IP address to block usage if the IP address is outside of US/Canada. As one purpose, I want to have choices to use when travelling.
    found this - https://www.ubergizmo.com/2017/01/be...e-calling-app/

Feedback Score
    Google's Hangouts (with Hangouts Dialer) is free to use for calls, SMS and MMS in US and Canada, from anywhere in the world (where WiFi doesn't have blocked ports).
    Works on WiFi and cell data (if a local SIM with data is purchased).

I used it from Europe and Africa. Heck, when I paid for data, it worked even from a plane flying above water.
    Free messaging with Delta: https://www.delta.com/content/www/en...ght-wi-fi.html

Also, it can be used from a PC too:
    https://hangouts.google.com/

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    Nobody as a user wants ads, but its a fair trade-off in order to get a free service. I wasn't asking for a service with no ads. I can live with ads as a part of the deal.
    If my original Google Voice suggestion is not acceptable, why, and what do you really want?

TextNow is a great service in my experience, but you asked for a similar service with less ads. The only similar service that we've come up with so far with less ads is GV. GV even meets your NEWLY ADDED requirement of working outside the US to call and text US #s.

Please clarify what you're looking for!

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    I'll add that if you don't want to use GV for some reason, and if you're unhappy with the ads in TextNow, I might suggest trying Talkatone.

The Play Store has Talkatone rated at 4.1/5 compared to 4.4/5 for TextNow, but I used Talkatone in the past when it still worked with Google Voice, and it worked fine at that time.

In hindsight, I sort of wish I would have tried Talkatone instead of TextNow when I signed up for my free Canadian phone #, but I had forgotten about Talkatone at that time!

It looks like the Talkatone is a much lighter app at a 23.70MB download for my phone according to the Play Store. The TextNow app installed size on my phone is a whopping 101MB!

Feedback Score
    It baffles me when I hear " evil Verizon/att", yet you happily hand ALL your communications over to one of the largest corporations in the world (very political Google, but I digress). It's sad to hear what I assume are adults under the impression that anything is "completely free".

Sent from my R1 HD using HoFo mobile app

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast