Thread: How Apple Got Screwed

Carrier(s)
    Telus $75/15GB
    Feedback Score

Post How Apple Got Screwed

Name:  apple-screw.jpg
Views: 61
Size:  37.3 KB

There's an interesting—and, I think, exclusive—feature in The New York Times today revealing what happened when Apple tried to assemble one of its recent products in the United States.

The Times is spinning it as an iPhone story but really, it's about the 2013 Mac Pro (the one that looks like a trash can). Here's the meat and potatoes of it:

In 2012, Apple’s chief executive, Tim Cook, went on prime-time television to announce that Apple would make a Mac computer in the United States. It would be the first Apple product in years to be manufactured by American workers, and the top-of-the-line Mac Pro would come with an unusual inscription: “Assembled in USA.”

But when Apple began making the $3,000 computer in Austin, Tex., it struggled to find enough screws, according to three people who worked on the project and spoke on the condition of anonymity because of confidentiality agreements.

Tests of new versions of the computer were hamstrung because a 20-employee machine shop that Apple’s manufacturing contractor was relying on could produce at most 1,000 screws a day.

The screw shortage was one of several problems that postponed sales of the computer for months, the people who worked on the project said. By the time the computer was ready for mass production, Apple had ordered screws from China.
    Before you jump to conclusions I'm neither hating on Apple nor cheerleading for China here; I'm just giving you an example of how the west and east depend on each other.

Source: New York Times
    My mobile memoirs — free ebook available here.
    My HoFo feedback... is that still a thing?

Device(s)
    sony xperia
    Feedback Score
    Lol Well technically still assembled in the USA right ? I mean are all the parts in that machine from USA ? Today's world is too competitive to ignore the difference in availability or price. It seems like that was a planning issue though. Apples big card has always been the we have the un compromised Superior product on the market it used to work well but in recent times, and now we are talking a little more than screws, they have failed to live up to that rep, to be honest so have most other tech industries. Just for intrest sake is this the Chinese or American screw? lol

Device(s)
    nexus and RIP Motorola flip phone
    Carrier(s)
    T -Mobile ATT
    Feedback Score
    If you are designing a product why would you use a special screw?
    I know Apple wants to go it's own way , but why make it hard on themselves ?
    Wanted: old barnfind VWs and Sports cars ,
    save them from the crusher , I have had my tetanus shots so rust does not scare me ,
    anything considered even parts cars

Feedback Score
    The whole "Assembled in the USA" action is just another way to get more money from people. Apple has always been overrated, when they used to make laptops and phones in China, everyone was still crazy about it. It was and stays highly overrated and will get even more expensive now that they started manufacturing in the US. So ironic they couldn't find screws in the US, poor guys had to travel the whole way to China

Feedback Score
    Disappointed. Title should be "How apple got inconvenienced." Bah.
    If my actions include deeds of philanthropy in charity and acts of loving kindness I am living in my Faith.

Red Pocket (AT&T) $192yr UTnT 5GB exp 08.08.19
    Red Pocket (AT&T) $184.50yr UTnT 1GB exp 02.19.20
    T-Mo Gold Rewards $10yr exp 01.16.20
    Tello x2 (Sprint) $5 1-use/3mo no exp by 10.05.19

Device(s)
    Apple iPhone XS Max / Apple iPhone 7
    Carrier(s)
    Pacific Bell Wireless / Verizon Wireless / AT&T MX / Movistar MX / Telcel MX
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by acurrie View Post
    Before you jump to conclusions I'm neither hating on Apple nor cheerleading for China here; I'm just giving you an example of how the west and east depend on each other.
    Port of Los Angeles/Long Beach then from there it branches out to the rest of the country and indeed the rest of North America.