Thread: Please recommend dashcam apps

Feedback Score

Please recommend dashcam apps

I am thinking of using a wifi phone as a dashcam. Are there any good dashcam apps that don't need data/wifi? The phone is 16GB, with about 10 GB storage available. Ideally an app that stores the day's video to the phone, and lets me delete the day's recorded video at the end of the day. I haven't used dashcam apps before (or a dash cam, for that matter), so any other criteria I should be looking for in an app? Thanks for any app suggestions or any other insights!
    Edit - It's an Android phone. And please suggest free apps, of course.
    Last edited by jettable; 01-29-2019 at 11:31 PM.

Device(s)
    iPhone 7, LG G Stylo 3 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T, Red Pocket-A
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jettable View Post
    I am thinking of using a wifi phone as a dashcam. Are there any good dashcam apps that don't need data/wifi? The phone is 16GB, with about 10 GB storage available. Ideally an app that stores the day's video to the phone, and lets me delete the day's recorded video at the end of the day. I haven't used dashcam apps before, so any other criteria I should be looking for in an app? Thanks for any app suggestions or any other insights!
    The camera app?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Current Phone: AT&T iPhone 7 128GB Gold
    867-5309 Line: LG G Stylo 3 Plus

I am no longer a U.S.Cellular User.
    Speedtest in Knox.TN EvDo Rev.A

My Photography www.hunterspad.com

Feedback Score
    Get a Wyze cam for $20 and add an SD card...

Feedback Score
    I used Daily Roads Voyager before I bought a real dash cam.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...m.dailyroads.v

This was a few years ago and I liked the app at the time. I used a spare Android phone not connected to data. The only issue is the summer heat caused the phone to get hot and shut down. That's why I eventually got a real dash cam, albeit a cheapo. I liked the phone app better.

I'm sure the Wyze cam would also get hot and die, not to mention it probably lacks image stabilization.

Feedback Score
    I am thinking of using a wifi phone as a dashcam. Are there any good dashcam apps that don't need data/wifi? The phone is 16GB, with about 10 GB storage available. Ideally an app that stores the day's video to the phone, and lets me delete the day's recorded video at the end of the day. I haven't used dashcam apps before (or a dash cam, for that matter), so any other criteria I should be looking for in an app? Thanks for any app suggestions or any other insights! Edit - It's an Android phone. And please suggest free apps, of course.
    get something like this - https://www.amazon.com/YI-Dashboard-.../dp/B01CW4BI6G

Device(s)
    iPhone X, iPhone 7+
    Carrier(s)
    ATT Prepaid
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by hyelton View Post
    The camera app?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    An advantage of a real dash cam is that some at least can detect when you hard brake, or a car cuts you off real close, and "saves" the image in a different area of the card so isn't overwrote so fast. Something that can probably be written to do in an app, but as others have posted, if phones can get real hot, they tend to shut down.

I've had phones shut down when I placed them on a dash for signal strength, and the sun shined on them.
    iPhone X is my current primary phone. I have older model iPhones and Moto phones available on other lines. Currently prepaid, though would consider postpaid on right plan.

Carrier(s)
    Straight Talk at&t e-71 sim
    Feedback Score
    I am thinking of using a wifi phone as a dashcam. Are there any good dashcam apps that don't need data/wifi? The phone is 16GB, with about 10 GB storage available. Ideally an app that stores the day's video to the phone, and lets me delete the day's recorded video at the end of the day. I haven't used dashcam apps before (or a dash cam, for that matter), so any other criteria I should be looking for in an app? Thanks for any app suggestions or any other insights!
    Edit - It's an Android phone. And please suggest free apps, of course.
    AutoBoy dash cam has been great on an old htc one X plus. The phone had a great camera and internal storage. You just need to make a new Google account to upload your videos because Google asks if you want this unsecure app to have access to your account. I'd rather have them separate.
    Sent from my HTC One X+

Device(s)
    Moto X 2015
    Carrier(s)
    Cricket
    Feedback Score
    Before I got a dashcam, I played around with using an old phone and the AutoBoy app which is free. There is probably a paid version that gives you more features, but the free version worked just like the dashcam software where it would record clips in small time increments and delete older ones when the storage was maxing out. I didn’t use it enough to test that part out, but I assume it works. The app also gives you an option to upload directly to a YouTube account when you’re on WiFi but I didn’t test that out either.

Here are the issues that made me decide to go with a dedicated dashcam:
    - You would have to buy a windshield mount for the phone.
    - You’d have to remove the phone every time you parked the car. It might be an old phone but having it just hang out in the open would make it a tempting target for thieves. Most dashcams are small and relatively inconspicuous so you can leave them mounted. Since it’s an old phone, you might not really care if someone swipes it, but they’ll have to break into your car to get it.
    - Leaving the phone attached would subject it to direct sunlight and heat. Plus the phone does get hot while filming and then add the heat from the sun and the interior, it might degrade the battery life or affect the internals. And as kevink1 said, the phone might shut down while in use when it gets too hot.
    - You have to remember to turn on the app every time you drive.
    - All dashcams have a wide angle lens to capture more of the road on the sides. You’d have to buy a lens attachment for the phone to recreate that. And unless you buy an expensive lens and/or one made just for your phone, the image quality won’t be that great.

You can get decent dashcam for $50 and up. By the time you buy a mount and the wide angle lens, you might be close to $50.