Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: U.S. House panels to hold joint hearing on Sprint, T-Mobile merger

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Greater Los Angeles
    Posts
    9,952
    Device(s)
    iPhone XS
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    15 (100%)

    U.S. House panels to hold joint hearing on Sprint, T-Mobile merger

    https://www.reuters.com/article/spri...-idUSKCN1PM2N7


    WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Two U.S. House panels will hold a joint hearing on Feb. 13 on T-Mobile US Inc and Sprint Corp’s proposed $26 billion merger and its potential impact on consumers.

    The House Energy and Commerce Committee and the Judiciary Committee will hold a joint hearing to “examine the merger’s potential impacts on consumers, workers and the wireless industry,” the committees said in a statement on Monday. Both T-Mobile Chief Executive John Legere and Sprint Chairman Marcelo Claure have agreed to testify.

    Last month, the companies won backing for the merger from two national security reviews, clearing key hurdles in their tie-up bid.
    The deal got a nod from the Committee on Foreign Investment in the United States, as well as the Justice Department, Department of Homeland Security and the Defense Department -collectively referred to as Team Telecom.

    T-Mobile and Sprint, the third- and fourth-largest U.S. wireless carriers, said Team Telecom, in a filing with the Federal Communications Commission, indicated it had no objections to the merger after reviewing “potential national security, law enforcement, and public safety issues.”

    T-Mobile has previously said it expects the deal to close in the first half of 2019. The U.S. wireless carriers still need to win antitrust approval from the Justice Department and the FCC.
    “The Internet wasn’t meant to be metered in bits and bytes, so it’s insane that wireless companies are still making you buy it this way. The rate plan is dead — it’s a fossil from a time when wireless was metered by every call or text.” John Legere 1/5/2017

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    1,938
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by @TheRealDanny View Post
    https://www.reuters.com/article/spri...-idUSKCN1PM2N7


    WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Two U.S. House panels will hold a joint hearing on Feb. 13 on T-Mobile US Inc and Sprint Corp’s proposed $26 billion merger and its potential impact on consumers.

    The House Energy and Commerce Committee and the Judiciary Committee will hold a joint hearing to “examine the merger’s potential impacts on consumers, workers and the wireless industry,” the committees said in a statement on Monday. Both T-Mobile Chief Executive John Legere and Sprint Chairman Marcelo Claure have agreed to testify.

    Last month, the companies won backing for the merger from two national security reviews, clearing key hurdles in their tie-up bid.
    The deal got a nod from the Committee on Foreign Investment in the United States, as well as the Justice Department, Department of Homeland Security and the Defense Department -collectively referred to as Team Telecom.

    T-Mobile and Sprint, the third- and fourth-largest U.S. wireless carriers, said Team Telecom, in a filing with the Federal Communications Commission, indicated it had no objections to the merger after reviewing “potential national security, law enforcement, and public safety issues.”

    T-Mobile has previously said it expects the deal to close in the first half of 2019. The U.S. wireless carriers still need to win antitrust approval from the Justice Department and the FCC.
    Let it pass let it pass let the merger pass.

    Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    515
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by thotguy31 View Post
    Let it pass let it pass let the merger pass.

    Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk
    It most likely will

    Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    3,997
    Device(s)
    S9
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    0
    With a second possible Government shutdown on February 15th it just ticks me off that the Democrats thinking meeting with T-Mobile and Sprint on the 13th is so important. Still think that news story about John Legere staying in Trump’s hotel next to Congress and the WH after the first meeting with the Senate is what caused this new meeting.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Baja California / Sinaloa
    Posts
    22,325
    Device(s)
    Apple iPhone XS Max / BlackBerry KEYone BBB100-3 / Samsung Galaxy S8 / Netgear AC815S
    Carrier(s)
    Pacific Bell Wireless / Verizon Wireless / AT&T MX / Movistar MX / Telcel MX
    Feedback Score
    0
    T-Mobile has previously said it expects the deal to close in the first half of 2019. The U.S. wireless carriers still need to win antitrust approval from the Justice Department and the FCC.
    Not holding my breath on this timeframe..

    Quote Originally Posted by shilohcane View Post
    With a second possible Government shutdown on February 15th it just ticks me off that the Democrats thinking meeting with T-Mobile and Sprint on the 13th is so important.
    So you are expecting them to do it after the 15th?
    Better to do it on the 13th because anytime after the 15th, it's going to be a fist fight for measly $5.7 billion.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    3,997
    Device(s)
    S9
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by i0wnj00 View Post



    So you are expecting them to do it after the 15th?
    Better to do it on the 13th because anytime after the 15th, it's going to be a fist fight for measly $5.7 billion.
    What I expect is solve the issue and avoid any more shutdown. The first shutdown cost more money than the $5.7 Billion that they were fighting over. The T-Mobile and Sprint meeting is just Political Kabuki Theatre just like the first Senate meeting that only three Senators shows up for and one Senator just ask one question and then left the meeting. This is a Shakedown with congress looking for $ donations to the 2020 election under the table or they would have made their issues public in 2018. With out that story that T- Mobile and Sprint stayed in Trump’s Hotel in DC we didn’t hear a peep out of congress. Besides Congress has no vote in the merger outcome of any corporate merger.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Greater Los Angeles
    Posts
    9,952
    Device(s)
    iPhone XS
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    https://www.tmonews.com/2019/02/t-mo...erger-hearing/

    Name:  claure-legere-tmobile-sprint-merger-768x333.jpg
Views: 55
Size:  24.5 KB

    T-Mobile CEO John Legere and Sprint chairman Marcelo Claure will both testify in front of the House Subcommittee on Communications and Technology tomorrow. Before they do, though, the text of their testimonies has been posted online.

    In his testimony, Legere claims that the T-Mobile-Sprint merger “ensures that America secures 5G leadership today and in the future.” Legere and Claure say that T-Mobile and Sprint’s spectrum portfolios compliment each other, with T-Mo posessing long range 600MHz and high-band millimeter wave spectrum while Sprint has 2.5GHz for added capacity. “Combining T-Mobile’s low-band and high-band wireless spectrum with Sprint’s mid-band spectrum will allow for both extremely broad coverage and deep network capacity, providing the optimum scenario for a robust, nationwide 5G network,” says Legere.

    Claure went on to respond to opponents of the deal who say that T-Mobile and Sprint already have plans for standalone 5G networks. He says that using its 2.5GHz spectrum, a Sprint 5G network would have coverage gaps because a rollout of nationwide coverage would require too many cellular radios to be economical or practical. T-Mobile, meanwhile, primarily has 600MHz spectrum that reaches far, but “T-Mobile has a fixed amount of spectrum for 5G, so it will have very limited capacity, and the network will quickly get congested during those times when customers most want to use it.”

    Legere also says that the 5G network will allow the new T-Mobile to offer “affordable in-home high-speed broadband service to millions of American households.” Legere and Claure claim that the merger will allow many T-Mobile customers to save money each year because they’ll be able to eliminate a separate home broadband connection, with T-Mo estimating that 35-40 percent of people could rely the new T-Mobile’s 5G network for their home broadband by 2024.

    The T-Mobile CEO touched on Huawei and ZTE, too. Some opponents of the merger have national security concerns about T-Mo and Sprint’s parent companies’ involvements with Huawei, but Legere says that T-Mobile does not use Huawei or ZTE equipment in its network and that it won’t use it in its 5G network. “New T-Mobile will buy network equipment only from trusted network equipment suppliers with a strong security track record in the United States,” Legere says.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    1,938
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by @TheRealDanny View Post
    https://www.tmonews.com/2019/02/t-mo...erger-hearing/

    Name:  claure-legere-tmobile-sprint-merger-768x333.jpg
Views: 55
Size:  24.5 KB

    T-Mobile CEO John Legere and Sprint chairman Marcelo Claure will both testify in front of the House Subcommittee on Communications and Technology tomorrow. Before they do, though, the text of their testimonies has been posted online.

    In his testimony, Legere claims that the T-Mobile-Sprint merger “ensures that America secures 5G leadership today and in the future.” Legere and Claure say that T-Mobile and Sprint’s spectrum portfolios compliment each other, with T-Mo posessing long range 600MHz and high-band millimeter wave spectrum while Sprint has 2.5GHz for added capacity. “Combining T-Mobile’s low-band and high-band wireless spectrum with Sprint’s mid-band spectrum will allow for both extremely broad coverage and deep network capacity, providing the optimum scenario for a robust, nationwide 5G network,” says Legere.

    Claure went on to respond to opponents of the deal who say that T-Mobile and Sprint already have plans for standalone 5G networks. He says that using its 2.5GHz spectrum, a Sprint 5G network would have coverage gaps because a rollout of nationwide coverage would require too many cellular radios to be economical or practical. T-Mobile, meanwhile, primarily has 600MHz spectrum that reaches far, but “T-Mobile has a fixed amount of spectrum for 5G, so it will have very limited capacity, and the network will quickly get congested during those times when customers most want to use it.”

    Legere also says that the 5G network will allow the new T-Mobile to offer “affordable in-home high-speed broadband service to millions of American households.” Legere and Claure claim that the merger will allow many T-Mobile customers to save money each year because they’ll be able to eliminate a separate home broadband connection, with T-Mo estimating that 35-40 percent of people could rely the new T-Mobile’s 5G network for their home broadband by 2024.

    The T-Mobile CEO touched on Huawei and ZTE, too. Some opponents of the merger have national security concerns about T-Mo and Sprint’s parent companies’ involvements with Huawei, but Legere says that T-Mobile does not use Huawei or ZTE equipment in its network and that it won’t use it in its 5G network. “New T-Mobile will buy network equipment only from trusted network equipment suppliers with a strong security track record in the United States,” Legere says.
    They are right about it. They need to mix Up B41 abs 71 for 5G. If Sprint had taken in on the 600 mhz auction then that might be different as Sprint now owns the least amount of lowband Spectrum for BW

    Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-23-2018, 06:02 PM
  2. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 10-05-2004, 07:39 PM
  3. Now free to check minutes used on sprint?
    By GTJeffC in forum Sprint
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 06-08-2004, 11:48 AM
  4. Replies: 6
    Last Post: 11-28-2003, 04:47 PM
  5. Where to find contract length on My T-Mobile?
    By cmoney in forum T-Mobile
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11-07-2003, 11:00 PM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks