Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: T-Mobile, Sprint plan to build 5 customer experience centers if merger succeeds

Device(s)
    iPhone XS
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    15 (100%)

T-Mobile, Sprint plan to build 5 customer experience centers if merger succeeds

https://www.fiercewireless.com/wirel...-merger-passes

Name:  tmohq.jpg
Views: 487
Size:  78.4 KB

T-Mobile and Sprint are trying to generate some positive momentum for their proposed merger, which has come under increased scrutiny of late. The companies announced a plan to build five new customer experience centers around the country that will each create an average of 1,000 jobs, if the merger passes regulatory muster.

Wednesday's announcement comes just days after the leaders of T-Mobile and Sprint were officially summoned to Capitol Hill for a hearing about their proposed merger scheduled for next month. The companies added that, if the merger is approved, they will also expand two T-Mobile Centers that will create more jobs.

Altogether, the plans will cumulatively create up to 5,600 customer care jobs by 2021, according to the companies. However, the new jobs would not be enough to offset the 30,000 job losses the Communications Workers of America projects will occur if the merger goes through. The union estimates 25,500 employees would lose jobs from the elimination of retail stores, and about 4,500 employees would be terminated in duplicate corporate positions.

The first of the five new customer experience centers will be built in Overland Park, Kansas, the current headquarters for Sprint and what would become the “New T-Mobile’s” secondary headquarters if the merger is approved. Sen. Jerry Moran, R-Kansas, and Gov. Laura Kelly both applauded the announcement in prepared statements that highlight the addition of jobs and an expansion of the Overland Park complex.

“Bringing a customer experience center to Overland Park will be a huge job creator for Kansas City, and is a great first step in shaping what HQ2 will become,” Sprint Executive Chairman Marcelo Claure said in a prepared statement.

“The heroes who work in our customer experience centers show customers every day why they chose the Un-carrier—and that will not change with the New T-Mobile,” T-Mobile CEO John Legere said in a prepared statement. “We said the New T-Mobile will employ more people from day one than T-Mobile and Sprint would have separately—and we mean it.”
    “The Internet wasn’t meant to be metered in bits and bytes, so it’s insane that wireless companies are still making you buy it this way. The rate plan is dead — it’s a fossil from a time when wireless was metered by every call or text.” John Legere 1/5/2017

Device(s)
    Apple iPhone XS Max / Apple iPhone 7
    Carrier(s)
    Pacific Bell Wireless / Verizon Wireless / AT&T MX / Movistar MX / Telcel MX
    Feedback Score
    If the CWA is correct about how much jobs will be lost then that's still -19,900 to -24,400 jobs which are permanently gone. That's not a win if you're still talking about negative numbers. 5,600 jobs doesn't even begin to make up for the losses. Let's not get started in creating jobs India, Philippines or México to meet the magic number of 5,600, that doesn't count....

Device(s)
    Moto G7 Power, Nexus 5X
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    This merger is not about creating jobs. No matter how much lipstick you put on it, a pig is still a pig.
    Donald Newcomb

Carrier(s)
    TMobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by DRNewcomb View Post
    This merger is not about creating jobs. No matter how much lipstick you put on it, a pig is still a pig.
    I see the anti tmobile bashers are starting early today

Carrier(s)
    TMobile
    Feedback Score
    Wasn't the deal announced last April? Seems like the government has had plenty of time to evaluate it by now.

Device(s)
    Moto G7 Power, Nexus 5X
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by wilbur101 View Post
    I see the anti tmobile bashers are starting early today
    It's funny how, if you say anything negative at all, you become a "anti tmobile basher" (which is sort of a double negative). I think it's pretty clear that when two similar companies (e.g. airlines, grocery stores, etc.) merge, the goal is to "achieve synergies and economies of scale" which is simply industry-speak for "reducing personnel costs". No two companies merge so that they will have to hire more people. I'll bet you your favorite cup of Starbucks, that within a year of the completion of the merger that the combined T-Sprint company will have fewer, direct, US-based employees than the two companies, combined have today.

Feedback Score
    Where does Sprint fit in these customer "experience" centers? Wasn't the purpose of the merger to get "rid" of Sprint? Are they suggesting that there is life for Sprint after the merger. (Just asking for a friend).... I can never decipher these announcements for their face value. (Whatever the heck that means!)

Carrier(s)
    TMobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jameny5 View Post
    Where does Sprint fit in these customer "experience" centers? Wasn't the purpose of the merger to get "rid" of Sprint? Are they suggesting that there is life for Sprint after the merger. (Just asking for a friend).... I can never decipher these announcements for their face value. (Whatever the heck that means!)
    My guess is it will be a slow phase out of sprint over time

Sent from my iPhone using HoFo

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jameny5 View Post
    No, the article just said that the center would be where Sprint's current headquarters is. But it's been clear that the Sprint brand is going away quickly after the merger. They'll be T-Mobile customers even if they are still on the current Sprint network.

Feedback Score
    I think it's pretty clear that when two similar companies (e.g. airlines, grocery stores, etc.) merge, the goal is to "achieve synergies and economies of scale" which is simply industry-speak for "reducing personnel costs". No two companies merge so that they will have to hire more people.
    I think the difference here is that the combined company will be better equipped to compete with AT&T and Verizon. They expect the merger will lead to expansion with more customers than they have today. More customers ultimately mean a need for more employees. That's why T-Mobile has listed all of the jobs they will create in their filings with the FCC.

Device(s)
    Moto G7 Power, Nexus 5X
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jet1000 View Post
    I think the difference here is that the combined company will be better equipped to compete with AT&T and Verizon. They expect the merger will lead to expansion with more customers than they have today. More customers ultimately mean a need for more employees. That's why T-Mobile has listed all of the jobs they will create in their filings with the FCC.
    It's a nice theory. We'll see how it works out. Of course, at this point, wireless service is pretty much saturated and a zero-sum-game. Whatever customers T-Sprint gains will have to come from "Dumb and Dumber". So, total industry employment is not going to increase.

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy Note 9, iPhone 7 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon, T-Mobile, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    It's funny how, if you say anything negative at all, you become a "anti tmobile basher" (which is sort of a double negative). I think it's pretty clear that when two similar companies (e.g. airlines, grocery stores, etc.) merge, the goal is to "achieve synergies and economies of scale" which is simply industry-speak for "reducing personnel costs". No two companies merge so that they will have to hire more people. I'll bet you your favorite cup of Starbucks, that within a year of the completion of the merger that the combined T-Sprint company will have fewer, direct, US-based employees than the two companies, combined have today.
    One big savings is advertising costs. Another huge savings is reducing the number of retail outlets by closing locations in close proximity, but while you'll need fewer managers you'll need more sales people. Yes, of course there will be job losses at the corporate level.

If they use the money they save from personnel costs to expand their network then it will be good. The present duopoly is not good for consumers. We need a third top-tier carrier.

Sent from my SM-N960U1 using HoFo mobile app

Feedback Score
    It's a nice theory. We'll see how it works out. Of course, at this point, wireless service is pretty much saturated and a zero-sum-game. Whatever customers T-Sprint gains will have to come from "Dumb and Dumber". So, total industry employment is not going to increase.
    I also believe that the cellphone handset market is pretty much a saturated zero-sum-game between the carriers. The IoT/MTM market is a growth area. It remains to be seen what that amounts to. I see estimates that it will be huge. More IoT/MTM things will be able to be done with 5G tech. Wireless broadband is also a growth area.

IIRC, T-Mo was including third party OEM sales of IoT/MTM devices and services in the calculation of increased employment.

Device(s)
    Moto G7 Power, Nexus 5X
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bobdevnul View Post
    ....IIRC, T-Mo was including third party OEM sales of IoT/MTM devices and services in the calculation of increased employment.
    This is why I limited my offer to @wilbur101 to "direct, US-based employees". IoT/MTM applications require a lot fewer hand-holders, sales and support staff than retail customers do and a lot of that support is farmed out to the equivalent of MVNOs.

Carrier(s)
    TMobile
    Feedback Score
    This is why I limited my offer to @wilbur101 to "direct, US-based employees". IoT/MTM applications require a lot fewer hand-holders, sales and support staff than retail customers do and a lot of that support is farmed out to the equivalent of MVNOs.
    Leave me out of all that. I'm staying out of the arguing and disagreements

There's a chance you could be right about the employees but it's hard to tell right now

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast