Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Cricket Wireless now has 10+ Million Subscribers

Device(s)
    iPhone
    Feedback Score

Cricket Wireless now has 10+ Million Subscribers

Looks like they officially passed the 10M subscriber mark last month...

Atlanta-based Cricket Wireless reached another major company milestone, growing the #CricketNation to more than 10 million subscribers. That's more than 5 million subscribers in the five years since joining the AT&T family.
    http://cricketwireless.mediaroom.com...on-Subscribers

Device(s)
    iPhone
    Feedback Score
    Cricket also had a huge 4th quarter.. AT&T mentioned that Cricket did around 240k subscribers.

Cricket continues to have really strong momentum. We did I think 240,000 cricket subscriber adds in the quarter.
    What is interesting is just how BAD the AT&T prepaid arm did last qtr.. the entire prepaid net add was only 13,000 including Cricket's numbers. So, AT&T prepaid lost a ton of customers.

...What we saw offsetting that is our AT&T branded prepaid which we sell in our AT&T stores, we saw some loss there and it appears that we may be losing some of that prepaid customer base to other companies postpaid customers.

And so we're seeing a little bit of migration, so we'll play with that and ensure that up. But that's one of those where the market got incredibly promotional on the prepaid side during 4Q. And we remain disciplined in terms of the amount of promotion we put into handset costs, gave our customers a good value proposition and cricket volumes I think showed it.

Specifically on the on the AT&T prepaid that we announced, well let me just give you one example, we have a phone that was being offered by our competitors for a $100 that we know the cost was 250, so 150 subsidy just on the equipment for a prepaid customer, we decided not to do that. We knew it. We were aware of it. That caused the pressure and that was one of the reasons but a good example with the reasons some of the pressure in the AT&T prepaid.
    The total prepaid subscribers with AT&T prepaid and Cricket is now at 17M.

AT&T prepaid promotions are almost non-existent compared to Cricket and it gives little incentive to port there.
    Last edited by 12thman; 01-30-2019 at 06:43 PM.

Feedback Score
    Yet they're losing money, at&t isn't innovating, Verizon looks to be the one out front, at&t is just plain tired.

Sent from my R1 HD using HoFo mobile app

Device(s)
    iPhone 7+ 128 GB Jet Black
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by sharp99 View Post
    Yet they're losing money, at&t isn't innovating, Verizon looks to be the one out front, at&t is just plain tired.

15 GB for $45 is hard to beat, and Verizon prepaid hit it right on the nail. It’s obvious they care about their prepaid brand meanwhile AT&T doesn’t give a hoot about theirs.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    iPhone 7+ on the Verizon Network
    iPad Pro 9.7 on the AT&T Network

Device(s)
    A bunch
    Carrier(s)
    Most of them
    Feedback Score
    I'd rather be on AT&T Prepaid than Verizon Prepaid any day of the week. Verizon's throttling is so ridiculous as to make the service unusable most of the time. At least when I'm throttled on AT&T, which is rare even though I'm on the "always throttled" unlimited plan, the service is still perfectly usable but I just have to wait a bit longer for things to load.

Verizon Prepaid, when throttled which in my area is 90%+ of the time, you may as well not even bother trying to use any data, because you're slammed down to 100kbps or lower. It's a night and day comparison.

Now that I have VoLTE and Wi-Fi calling, there's really nothing else to ask for. I'm paying around $72/mo for 2 unlimited lines. I don't need innovation, I need service that just works at a great price and AT&T Prepaid does just that.

Sent from my iPhone using HoFo

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by freakonomics101 View Post
    15 GB for $45 is hard to beat, and Verizon prepaid hit it right on the nail. It’s obvious they care about their prepaid brand meanwhile AT&T doesn’t give a hoot about theirs.

Verizon was the carrier that seemed to not give a crap about their Prepaid service but things have definitely changed recently. 15gb with free Hotspot for $45.00 would be the perfect plan for my uses!!! Unfortunately I need At&t's coverage so I'm gonna hang with Cricket and hope they react to this Verizon move.

Device(s)
    iPhone XR 128 GB white ( sim free)
    Carrier(s)
    Cricket Wireless $35/5GB
    Feedback Score
    I m not surprised by the growth in subscribers on Cricket at all, in fact it is just a testament to the quality of service you can have on a very reliable working network. I be been with Cricket 3 years now and the service is solid and stellar, everywhere I go it works, Data, text, calls, and all these for $35. Whatever people said negative or positive about AT&T and Cricket, I listen but I firmly believe in what really works in real world of daily usage and I go with that. Cricket works. Period.

Feedback Score
    And now they have increased it on Straight Talk to 25GB or so it seems. I'm on Cricket, the wife is on Straight Talk Verizon because we travel full time in an RV. She's been on the $45 10Gb plan and yesterday during her auto pay they upped it to 25GB!

Quote Originally Posted by freakonomics101 View Post

Device(s)
    Z10, Bold, Galaxy S8
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by huntram View Post
    And now they have increased it on Straight Talk to 25GB or so it seems. I'm on Cricket, the wife is on Straight Talk Verizon because we travel full time in an RV. She's been on the $45 10Gb plan and yesterday during her auto pay they upped it to 25GB!
    Too bad Straight Talk doesn't allow hotspot.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jboard55 View Post
    Too bad Straight Talk doesn't allow hotspot.
    But Verizon doesn't seem to care. So the same phone that wouldn't work to tether on Cricket does on ST Verizon (Moto g6).

Device(s)
    iPhone
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by sharp99 View Post

I believe the biggest issue with AT&T is they are trying to innovate instead of sticking to what they know and that is wireless. They are going in all kinds of different directions now with content and Directv NOW which just had a terrible qtr and just lost 267,000 subscribers. Verizon and T-Mo are focused on just wireless and are killing it.

Carrier(s)
    TMobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 12thman View Post
    I believe the biggest issue with AT&T is they are trying to innovate instead of sticking to what they know and that is wireless. They are going in all kinds of different directions now with content and Directv NOW which just had a terrible qtr and just lost 267,000 subscribers. Verizon and T-Mo are focused on just wireless and are killing it.
    Yeah they come across as the jack of all trades, master of none. They seem to have lost focus in some ways. I think they will get back on track but with some bumps along the way

Device(s)
    iPhone X, iPhone 7+
    Carrier(s)
    ATT Prepaid
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 12thman View Post
    I believe the biggest issue with AT&T is they are trying to innovate instead of sticking to what they know and that is wireless. They are going in all kinds of different directions now with content and Directv NOW which just had a terrible qtr and just lost 267,000 subscribers. .
    I still have DTV Now, mainly due to the discount I still get from ATT. Don't get local network channels, which is an incentive to go with some other carrier. I do OTA for the locals right now, but CBS is a little marginal even with my antenna in the attic, so if they were on the normal streaming package I would prefer that.

ATT has added some coverage in previous large dead spots like Nebraska for both Prepaid and Cricket, which is nice, if it actually works well enough. I may be up there in May to test it. (Not JUST to test it, other reasons to go up there).
    iPhone X is my current primary phone. I have older model iPhones and Moto phones available on other lines. Currently prepaid, though would consider postpaid on right plan.

Device(s)
    iPhone 8+
    Feedback Score
    Cricket plans have become stale but maybe that’s because it’s the best cost effective deal. Group unlimited for $25!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by blacksurfer View Post
    Cricket plans have become stale but maybe that’s because it’s the best cost effective deal. Group unlimited for $25!
    I'm still on the grandfathered $5/100 - even better! And when I buy the refills on sale then it becomes more like $17.50/month for 5GB. Haven't found a better deal yet!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast