Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Android tablets

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S8, iPad Mini 4, Blackberry KEYone
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score

Android tablets

Are there any good cheap Android Tablets i can pick up used that have 4G LTE and will run on AT&T? I'm not up on what Android tablets are good so need some advice.... i was thinking of going with an iPad mini but even the mini 2 is quite expensive still and iOS doesn't run some apps as well as Android... looking for one that I can find an otter box style case for... Any suggestions?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, AT&T, Straight Talk (AT&T)
    Feedback Score
    Look for a used Samsung Galaxy Tab S2 LTE. I had one for three years and loved it and only replaced it 'cause T-Mo had a 50% off sale on the Tab S4 (which is also great).

"Cheap" will be relative; a used Tab S2 will be around ~$220. They have cheaper LTE-enabled Android tablets but I've bought a few to use in the car and such and they're just slow (mostly due to slow flash storage, which gets slower the fuller it gets) and will give you a bad experience.
    Galaxy Tab S2 SM-T817T on AT&T
    Galaxy S7 on StraightTalk (AT&T)

Device(s)
    Any Windows Phones!
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    How bargain basement do you want to go?

Maybe I have low requirements and even lower expectations, but I'm loving the heck out of a used ZTE Trek 2 HD (K88) 8" Android tablet (2GB/16GB) I picked up on eBay for under $100.

It runs Android 7.1.1, and supports Adoptable storage (to install apps on SD card), and runs much more smoothly than it really should given the low specs. It's essentially a tablet version of the AT&T Zmax 2 phone (which also ran far more smoothly than it's specs should have allowed!) It has a 5000mah battery so a charge lasts forever. I'm running it on a T-Mo tablet SIM, but it was built for AT&T, so it supports calling and texting from your phone's number if you hook it up with AT&T's NumberSync service.

Insert any ZTE/Chinese spyware paranoia here if you like, but it's a solid performing tablet for a price so cheap I don't feel I need to take good care of it. ZTE could teach a lot of midrange phone makers how to build a snappy device on the cheap that runs and feels like a more expensive device.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk
    --
    Todd Allcock, Microsoft MVP: Mobile Devices 2007-2011

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by elecconnec View Post
    How bargain basement do you want to go?

Maybe I have low requirements and even lower expectations, but I'm loving the heck out of a used ZTE Trek 2 HD (K88) 8" Android tablet (2GB/16GB) I picked up on eBay for under $100.

It runs Android 7.1.1, and supports Adoptable storage (to install apps on SD card), and runs much more smoothly than it really should given the low specs. It's essentially a tablet version of the AT&T Zmax 2 phone (which also ran far more smoothly than it's specs should have allowed!) It has a 5000mah battery so a charge lasts forever. I'm running it on a T-Mo tablet SIM, but it was built for AT&T, so it supports calling and texting from your phone's number if you hook it up with AT&T's NumberSync service.

Insert any ZTE/Chinese spyware paranoia here if you like, but it's a solid performing tablet for a price so cheap I don't feel I need to take good care of it. ZTE could teach a lot of midrange phone makers how to build a snappy device on the cheap that runs and feels like a more expensive device.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk
    That sounds good! I'll check it out!

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    I've been checking out an LG G Pad 7" don't know how good it is but looks like a good deal... It won't be for much more than to check messages and little web browsing and stuff when at home maybe tinker around as well with but since our wifi isn't so good I'll be using it on mobile data... I had a blu brand phablet (7 inch smartphone) and battery life sucked only lasts a few hours and it's stuck on Android 5... But anymore suggestions would be good

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Whitieiii View Post
    I've been checking out an LG G Pad 7" don't know how good it is but looks like a good deal... It won't be for much more than to check messages and little web browsing and stuff when at home maybe tinker around as well with but since our wifi isn't so good I'll be using it on mobile data... I had a blu brand phablet (7 inch smartphone) and battery life sucked only lasts a few hours and it's stuck on Android 5... But anymore suggestions would be good

Ebay has brand new LG G Pad x 8.0 (V520) for $149.99. Similar vintage as the ZTE mentioned above, better specs (2GB Ram; 32GB ROM up to 128GB). Comes with Marshmallow and can be upgraded to Nougat.

I also use the ZTE Trek 2HD with no issues but suggest the LG of you want brand new unlocked. Good luck with your search.

Sent from my LG-H872 using HoFo mobile app

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Whitieiii View Post

Which one? What are the specs?

We have three LG G Pad F 8.0 V495 tablets that I got new/unlocked on eBay for $79.99 in 2016, and while they are full-featured and still work fine, they are slow.

Feedback Score
    I use both a Zmax Pro and Z-Blade, which are 6" phones, for tablet duty. Huge batteries and better specs then most low end 7-8 inch tablets.

Feedback Score
    Lenovo Tab 4 8 Plus and Tab 4 10 Plus. Both have FHD screens and are compatible with ATT/Tmo LTE. I think they can also do Verizon but I'm not sure.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Boz1 View Post
    Which one? What are the specs?

We have three LG G Pad F 8.0 V495 tablets that I got new/unlocked on eBay for $79.99 in 2016, and while they are full-featured and still work fine, they are slow.
    Ditto. I got them for $100. It is worth $100, but they can be slow sometimes. It's like they get brain farts. I did a factory reset on mine recently which helped.

The ZTE sounds better. I would look up the specs and see how the processor benchmarks compare.

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bobdevnul View Post
    Ditto. I got them for $100. It is worth $100, but they can be slow sometimes. It's like they get brain farts. I did a factory reset on mine recently which helped.

Yeah. I watched them for quite a while at $99.99, but I jumped on the purchase when they dropped down to $79.99.

They were/are a great value for an LTE tablet to use with the free FreedomPop AT&T LTE SIMs!

I updated mine from Android 5 to Android 6 back in 2017, or maybe early 2018.

I do see that there has been another update according to https://www.lg.com/us/support/produc...version-update , which includes the 8/1/18 Android Security Update.

it may be time for me to gather together all of my AT&T GoPhone / AT&T Prepaid devices, activate another AT&T Prepaid SIM, and spend a few hours updating them all!

Device(s)
    iPhone X, Huawei Mate 20 Pro
    Feedback Score
    Samsung Galaxy Tab A - $219.99. Lenovo Moto Tab - $199.99. Prices are taken from AT&T store.
    Check online reviews before buying your new gadget: https://www.pissedconsumer.com/categ...t-gadgets.html

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Boz1 View Post
    Yeah. I watched them for quite a while at $99.99, but I jumped on the purchase when they dropped down to $79.99.

They were/are a great value for an LTE tablet to use with the free FreedomPop AT&T LTE SIMs!

I updated mine from Android 5 to Android 6 back in 2017, or maybe early 2018.

I do see that there has been another update according to https://www.lg.com/us/support/produc...version-update , which includes the 8/1/18 Android Security Update.

it may be time for me to gather together all of my AT&T GoPhone / AT&T Prepaid devices, activate another AT&T Prepaid SIM, and spend a few hours updating them all!
    I have the Freedompop SIMs in mine. It's only 200 MB a month now, but that has been enough for what little I use. The Freedompop app slowed it to the point of being unusable. Got rid of that.

I have not gotten the updates with the FP SIM in it. I wonder if putting my Tracfone AT&T SIM in it would work to get updates. It works to get updates for my Phoenix 2.

I like the Fintie swivel folio/stand case for it. It was ~$15.

It's nice to have something bigger than a phone without having to drag a full notebook computer around.

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bobdevnul View Post
    I have the Freedompop SIMs in mine. It's only 200 MB a month now, but that has been enough for what little I use. The Freedompop app slowed it to the point of being unusable. Got rid of that.

I have not gotten the updates with the FP SIM in it. I wonder if putting my Tracfone AT&T SIM in it would work to get updates. It works to get updates for my Phoenix 2.

I like the Fintie swivel folio/stand case for it. It was ~$15.

It's nice to have something bigger than a phone without having to drag a full notebook computer around.
    I use my FP AT&T LTE SIMs up to 245MB, according to the built-in data tracker, monthly without issue. I have not disabled top-up for any of my free account FP SIMs. The allotment is 250MB/mo, which is 200MB from the free account + 50MB for the 10+ Freedom Friends.

An active TF AT&T SIM should allow the LG G Pad F 8.0 V495 to receive OTA updates.

I got a cheaper leather stand case for $6.99 each for all 3 of mine, and we're happy with them. https://www.ebay.com/itm/BK-Folio-PU...6/292934024932
    Vzw-$9.99/mo+$0.25/min-1999-2001
    PagePlus-2001-2015
    LycaMobile-v1-2013-2016
    Selectel Flex-2013-2015
    Puppy-2014
    Tracfone-2015-2016
    TruPhone-2015-
    Red Pocket-2016-2017
    Piranha-2016-
    FreedomPop-GSM-2016-
    T-Mo-Data-2017-
    3-2018-

Ericsson AF738 Jul99-Dec03
    Qualcomm QCP 2760 Dec03-Feb08
    LG VX-8600 Feb08-Apr10
    Samsung Omnia SCH-i910 Apr10-Nov11
    HTC Droid Inc ADR6300 (CM7.2) Nov11-Jun13
    HTC Droid Inc 2 ADR6350 (CM7.2) Jun13-May15
    LG G2 VS980 (Rooted) May15-Apr17
    LG Phoenix 2 Mar17-

Feedback Score
    Forgot to mention...

One nice thing about the Lenovo Tab 4 8 (and 10) Plus is that it allows tethering regardless of what SIM is installed.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast