Device(s)
    Droid X since 2014
    Carrier(s)
    PagePlus since 12/06
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars

Question Minimal voice only 3G user needs info on 4G switchover

$10 120 day PAYG PP user for yrs with $130+ in unused bal because i rarely use phone. Have old Droid X that's been ideal for me but saw that 3G is going away so have to get new. Local Total Wireless store had phones that didn't appeal to me. Bought LG K20V via eBay today. But want to stay on $10 card 120 days minimal cost PAYG plan because I have NO need/use for data so that would just be wasted money.

But -- PP site says 4g PAYG plans are available but help page says they aren't?

PP cust serv is all overseas so very difficult to communicate with so asking here for help, ok?

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by j_hallgren View Post
    $10 120 day PAYG PP user for yrs with $130+ in unused bal because i rarely use phone. Have old Droid X that's been ideal for me but saw that 3G is going away so have to get new. Local Total Wireless store had phones that didn't appeal to me. Bought LG K20V via eBay today. But want to stay on $10 card 120 days minimal cost PAYG plan because I have NO need/use for data so that would just be wasted money.

But -- PP site says 4g PAYG plans are available but help page says they aren't?

PP cust serv is all overseas so very difficult to communicate with so asking here for help, ok?
    It's good, it's all I use now after switching my 3G phones to 4G/VoLTE. Note that some of the PP page info is outdated, like the one that says no PayGo on 4G. They changed that and now allow it but didn't update that info page. You can get 4G PayGo like you always did 3G. Just make sure you select 4G on the order page. It's cheaper per minute also on the $10 plan.
    If you transfer your number to the new phone you're balance will carry with the number. Since you're transferring your phone number with the balance you may want to do the activation/transfer in chat. I haven't had issues just calling their customer service unless there's someone with a deep accent. Then of course they, like any cell service (even Verizon proper) have clueless CSRs.
    Also as far as some of their info being out dated there's somewhere it says after activation to dial 22890 to program the phone. That's for 3G phones, not 4Gs with SIMs. There is another info page that says not to do that for 3G. When you make your first call on the 4G it will do the programming.

Device(s)
    Droid X since 2014
    Carrier(s)
    PagePlus since 12/06
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    So all I need to do is get the 99 cent SIM and install that? My Droid is no-SIM so that SIM thing is new to me.

Presuming I can also switch off all data use on this LG K20V phone? A local cell repair shop that was once a PP dealer had a couple of these as used/refurb for $99 so looked on eBay and found a seller with a few of these as open box/new for $99 also so figured that was better option.
    This model had almost all positive reviews that i could see and was at least Nougat so not current but not too old either. Seems to be/been a popular model so finding case or battery shouldn't be too challenging, I hope. Bit bigger than I wanted but Samsungs that I looked at had very mixed reviews.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by j_hallgren View Post
    So all I need to do is get the 99 cent SIM and install that? My Droid is no-SIM so that SIM thing is new to me.

Presuming I can also switch off all data use on this LG K20V phone? A local cell repair shop that was once a PP dealer had a couple of these as used/refurb for $99 so looked on eBay and found a seller with a few of these as open box/new for $99 also so figured that was better option.
    This model had almost all positive reviews that i could see and was at least Nougat so not current but not too old either. Seems to be/been a popular model so finding case or battery shouldn't be too challenging, I hope. Bit bigger than I wanted but Samsungs that I looked at had very mixed reviews.
    Keep in mind anything I relate is per my personal experience, experimenting and understanding. I bought a SIM kit at BestBuy for Tracfone ($1) and it works fine for PP. New Tracfones at BestBuy or where ever, if they're Verizon network, easily activate on PP. I've done it. Just don't mention to the CSR that it's a Tracfone SIM. They'll tell you it needs to be a PP SIM just to sell you one. I originally bought a PP SIM from their site and it came as a regular Tracfone SIM but in a PP package. The SIM part number is the same as the Tracfone SIM at BestBuy. Bought that and put it in another phone. No problem. Same with Tracfone phones. If you're interested in a Tracfone at say Best Buy and want to make sure, just jot down a couple IMEI #s off the bottom of the box and run them on the PP activation page. Same on Ebay phones. Get the IMEI from the seller and check it. If the seller doesn't want to give it move on. There's plenty of other phones and sellers that will. Just research on sites like PhoneScoop to make sure they support HD voice (VoLTE) and have all the current Verizon LTE bands (2,4,13) and 66 would be a bonus but not a must right now.
    Two of the phones I got as refurbs on Ebay. (Moto E4 and LG K4). One has Nougat one has Marshmallow, all I need and in a couple years if needed I'll just get newer refurbs on Ebay.
    Again...per my experience and understanding...not an expert...but did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.
    You can turn data off on your V20; I never have data on. Go through the Tracfone threads. You'll see allot of good info on phones and VoLTE etc. there. PagePlus = Tracfone.