Thread: Is anyone familliar with Safelink (Tracfone low income service) "Truly Unlimited"?

Carrier(s)
    Straight Talk
    Feedback Score

Is anyone familliar with Safelink (Tracfone low income service) "Truly Unlimited"?

I know, people have their opinions on these low income phones, but I am disabled and qualify. I have it as a home phone. The thing is, I have no access or way to get cable or DSL, or any kind of land internet service where I live. I don't even get much cell signal, just one or two bars of 4G, and only in certain locations by windows. So I have been paying $55-$70 (depending if my autopay comes through or not) for AT&T Prepaid's unlimited service, and using Easytether Pro. They claim only to throttle during congestion times, and usually video is the only thing I notice, sometimes it's low quality, but that's fine, I don't expect miracles, just to be able to watch in low res is enough, and I rarely even experience beffering issues.

The thing is, I can easily top 100gb of Data a month, I can tell the hours they may be cutting my speed and it's just in the evenings around supper time. I've never had any complaints from AT&T.

I just upgraded my Safelink phone, which was a flip phone to a $20 ZTE Android. For some reason Easytether will not connect to this phove via USB at all. It shows as a device to connect, but you click it and not only does it not connect, it gives no message, nothing, just acts like you never clicked for it to connect. It does however, work fine with a bluetooth connection. I'd be interested in if anyone has any ideas about this, as it's nice to charge while USB tethering.

Safelink obviously is MVNO and brokers from other carriers and my Safelink phone has Verizon 4G service, I get slightly better reception with this phone than the AT&T one as well. Anyway I think I read that if it says "Truly Unlimited" some lawsutit happened and now companies have to provide that? IDK I been kind of out of the loop on this stuff for a bit. Anyway it's a difference between $15-$25 a month, which would really make a difference for me, but what I'd really hate to have happen is try it and get service shut down mid month with no ability to go back to AT&T (it is very hard to live on a limited income).

Here is their plans page.

Anyway, just curious if anyone knows if this could work? Mostly I watch a lot of news videos from some subscriptions I have, but it can use up a crap-ton of dta even at low res. It is a small town (just about 8K and I live in a rural area outside of it). We're lucky to have 4G at all, but I imagine it's not at all an area of serious network congestion, if that matters any.

Device(s)
    LG G2, Moto G5+, Moto E4, (Droid Mini, GS3, Droid4, L41C, Droid3, S390G, LG500G, T404G, T301G, V170)
    Carrier(s)
    Total Wireless (Verizon, Red Pocket, Tracfone)
    Feedback Score

Device(s)
    LG G2, Moto G5+, Moto E4, (Droid Mini, GS3, Droid4, L41C, Droid3, S390G, LG500G, T404G, T301G, V170)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    I'm not finding much about the unlimited data. If on Verizon's network I doubt unlimited high speed based on the normal rates for them, it'd likely drop to EVDO speed after a few GB.

I do know historically TF companies have not approved of tethering. While some may be tolerated I doubt that'd take kindly to 50+ GB tethered.

Carrier(s)
    Straight Talk
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ST Dog View Post
    I'm not finding much about the unlimited data. If on Verizon's network I doubt unlimited high speed based on the normal rates for them, it'd likely drop to EVDO speed after a few GB.

I do know historically TF companies have not approved of tethering. While some may be tolerated I doubt that'd take kindly to 50+ GB tethered.
    Well AFAIK, there's no way they can tell it's tethered with this specific program because of the way it does it. I was thinking that likely it would throttle down to 3G speeds like other Tracfone companies, which almost might be acceptable. As I recall 3G was still fast enough to stream low res vids.

I think if it had an AT&T SIM I might not worry about it. I may try and just save the money to re-up my AT&T and try it and see what happens but I thought maybe someone would know.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by markjs View Post
    Well AFAIK, there's no way they can tell it's tethered with this specific program because of the way it does it.
    Lots of ways to detect tethering. That apo suggest changing the useragent on the computer browser but that's only one method used.

Most apps just do NAT https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Netw...ss_translation

Deep Packet Inspection can pickup on lots of stuff that is difficult to mask
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deep_packet_inspection

Again, for a few MB here and there TF won't care. For 10s of GBs they likely will.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by markjs View Post
    Well AFAIK, there's no way they can tell it's tethered with this specific program because of the way it does it. I was thinking that likely it would throttle down to 3G speeds like other Tracfone companies, which almost might be acceptable. As I recall 3G was still fast enough to stream low res vids.
    I checked my SafeLink plan for the "Truly Unlimited" data add-on, and nothing is stated if there is cutoff point for high speed like some of the other TF companies. If there is a cutoff point it will throttle down to 64K which is worthless for anything like streaming.

Even if tethering is not detected, the use of a disproportionate amount of data compared to calls can trigger an "excessive use of carrier resources" issue.

Feedback Score
    Even home cable service will have something to say if internet usage is "excessive".