Thread: Testing an old, never used SIM

Device(s)
    OnePlus 6
    Feedback Score

Testing an old, never used SIM

Just curious... I'm wanting to see how my phone works with VZ. I have some old/unused SIM's from the FD $1 deal I got in on, and want to try using one of them to test how the signal is in my area. I already added the codes from those packages a year ago, but never used any of the SIM's. I know this phone doesn't have band 13, but just wanted to find out if it's doable for some point in the future?

I just want to make sure putting in one of the Verizon SIM's from one of the packages doesn't mess up my account for AT&T and lose any of the many buckets/end date I have. I just want to try it for a few minutes, then put back in my AT&T SIM and go back to my normal account without taking the chance of losing anything with my account.

Is there anything to worry about, or am I good to go???

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2, Moto E5, LG Q6
    Carrier(s)
    TF/AT&T, TF/Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Swapping SIMs in and out of a phone does not affect the account/balance of the phone or another SIM. What make/model is your phone? Does it support both CDMA (Verizon) and GSM (AT&T, T-mobile)? Is its IMEI in TF/Verizon "whitelist", so you can activate a BYOP CDMA SIM with it?

Device(s)
    OnePlus 6
    Feedback Score
    It's a OnePlus 6. I know it's not totally compatible, with the missing band, but just curious how the signal is on the other LTE bands in my area. I know some have got this phone to work on VZ even though it's not totally supported. Only problem is I think I'd have to activate it with a VZ phone, then I would be able to swap it to this one. Not really looking to activate at this time, more of a scouting mission for data /GV use mostly

I was just wondering if there would be a problem since I used the codes from the activation kit that included these SIM's even though I never used them before, just added the time/buckets. Got a 3+ years of service and buckets for less than $20 as many did back then. Haven't looked if it's whitelisted, don't think it is? I think only the 6T is able to activate, thus needing a different phone to activate with, then swap SIM?

My main concern was using the SIM from that package I used the codes from and it messing things up? If that won't mess things up, I'll just pop it in my phone to see how the signal is, then decide later if I want to try VZ at some point?

Device(s)
    LG G2, Moto G5+, Moto E4, (Droid Mini, GS3, Droid4, L41C, Droid3, S390G, LG500G, T404G, T301G, V170)
    Carrier(s)
    Total Wireless (Verizon, Red Pocket, Tracfone)
    Feedback Score
    The different physical SIMs in a kit are totally independent and not connected to the airtime that was in the package.

For example, if you got the kit with 4 SIMs, AT&T nano, AT&T mini+mico (dual punch), Verizon nano, and Verizon mini+micro (dual punch) all 4 can be activated independently.

The only snag in your plan is you need an IMEI that passed tbe check to activate a Verizon SIM. The OnePlus won't pass the checker.

Device(s)
    OnePlus 6
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ST Dog View Post
    The different physical SIMs in a kit are totally independent and not connected to the airtime that was in the package.

For example, if you got the kit with 4 SIMs, AT&T nano, AT&T mini+mico (dual punch), Verizon nano, and Verizon mini+micro (dual punch) all 4 can be activated independently.

The only snag in your plan is you need an IMEI that passed tbe check to activate a Verizon SIM. The OnePlus won't pass the checker.
    Thanks for that. Good to know that the SIM's aren't connected to the airtime! And yes, I have about 15-20 of the kits with 4 SIM's all unused.

I tried the SIM in my phone and I guess I'm in a band 13 area, cause I only was getting 3G. I'll try it again when I go to the area that has bad reception for T-MO and AT&T and see if it's any better out there... I doubt it though, probably a band 13 out there too.

I knew it probably wasn't going to work, but if I could test with a free SIM that I already had, it was worth the effort.

I have like 4 years left on my AT&T service, and a lot in each bucket, so I'm in no hurry to move on at this time.

Thanks for the replies

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by kozmo21 View Post
    I tried the SIM in my phone and I guess I'm in a band 13 area, cause I only was getting 3G. I'll try it again when I go to the area that has bad reception for T-MO and AT&T and see if it's any better out there... I doubt it though, probably a band 13 out there too.
    You may not be able to see the LTE signal without an active SIM. My deactivated TF/VZW phone only sees the 1x/EV-DO signal. Also, Verizon does not always use B13. My signal was more commonly B4 AWS. Recently it has been B66. The OnePlus 6 has those bands.

Device(s)
    LG G2, Moto G5+, Moto E4, (Droid Mini, GS3, Droid4, L41C, Droid3, S390G, LG500G, T404G, T301G, V170)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    I tried the SIM in my phone and I guess I'm in a band 13 area, cause I only was getting 3G.
    As lobo said, don't trust any results with an inactive SIM.

And if if you find an active SIM to test with, you still have the issue of activating a SIM with an unsupported device.

Device(s)
    OnePlus 6
    Feedback Score
    Well that sucks that my test was flawed then. Hmm, guess I need to find someone that has an active VZ SIM that will let me borrow it for a few minutes. The search is on lol

Yeah, I'm wondering if it's worth the effort and $ to buy a different phone to then swap the SIM to this one? Maybe a used broken one that's not black listed would be my cheapest option? This was more of just a test, I have too much built up in buckets/time to really swap from AT&T to VZ anyway.

Thanks for the informative replies again.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    This was more of just a test, I have too much built up in buckets/time to really swap from AT&T to VZ anyway.
    All your buckets would remain moving from one TF SIM to another. Changing carriers doesn't change that.
    Last edited by ST Dog; 02-05-2019 at 05:05 PM.

Feedback Score
    Well that sucks that my test was flawed then. Hmm, guess I need to find someone that has an active VZ SIM that will let me borrow it for a few minutes. The search is on lol

Yeah, I'm wondering if it's worth the effort and $ to buy a different phone to then swap the SIM to this one? Maybe a used broken one that's not black listed would be my cheapest option? This was more of just a test, I have too much built up in buckets/time to really swap from AT&T to VZ anyway.

Thanks for the informative replies again.
    You can transfer your phone number, balances, and service date to another phone/SIM anytime.

As for your test, I don't think phones show the signal level without an activated SIM.

Feedback Score
    Hmm, guess I need to find someone that has an active VZ SIM that will let me borrow it for a few minutes. The search is on lol
    A swapped in VZW SIM may give you an LTE signal, but maybe not the one you need. As I mentioned, Verizon is often using alternate bands to the base B13. Relying on the alternate bands than B13 will be poor coverage overall.

BTW, I am seeing a lot of B5 and B66 coming from VZW towers recently. Some of my signal apps don't detect which bands these are. Only Network Cell Info Lite will identify B66.

Device(s)
    OnePlus 6
    Feedback Score
    1st I'll check with a friends SIM, then decide if it might be viable? Then I'll have to find out the cheapest way to get another phone to activate, and if it would be worth it in the long run? (probably not)

For the most part, I really only need VZ for a few months a year when I head out to a really rural area where VZ in definitely king. I'm only out there once a week, but when I am, coverage sucks. But for the rest of the time, AT&T if fine, and my phone has all the bands, making it better for overall reliability... so that is where I'll likely stay. Still curious how VZ would do with this phone though.

Feedback Score
    For the most part, I really only need VZ for a few months a year when I head out to a really rural area where VZ in definitely king. I'm only out there once a week, but when I am, coverage sucks. But for the rest of the time, AT&T if fine, and my phone has all the bands, making it better for overall reliability... so that is where I'll likely stay. Still curious how VZ would do with this phone though.
    In more rural areas you likely MUST have B13 for Verizon data, and the OnePlus 6 does not have this. For now it may operate on 1x/EV-DO for voice and 3G data, but that goes away end of this year. Why bother?