Thread: Tracfone Data Overpriced

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy Note 9, iPhone 7 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon, T-Mobile, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ST Dog View Post
    Where did you see 37.5 GB?
    edit: found it's still in the plan details.
    Before it was advertised well.
    Still only applies to new port-ins from outside TF companies and will probably go away in April.

Thee was a promotion with 50% extra data for new port-ins (not from other TF companies). One online site says it was extended til end of March but I don't see it on the site.

I see the newish single line options, 30 day 25GB for $50 (recently bumped up from 15GB) or 90 day 15GB for $90 ($15 discount vs 5GB plan w/o autopay)
    I ported two lines on one plan, so far. One more when my daughter's phone uses up her Cricket credit in a couple of weeks. The 30GB for three lines is way more than we need, and the shared data is useful since one line uses very little.

I have a second plan for work where they pay us $100 per month for wireless services of our choice, so I have three devices on that plan.

Cricket was marginal because the AT&T coverage at my house and at my workplace is terrible. For some reason we've never been able to convince AT&T to install cells to cover the central part of our city. Also, Cricket throttles data and doesn't allow tethering except on higher cost plans. In my city you basically have to have Verizon, nothing else works well across the whole city.

It's pretty easy to port a number in. If you want new numbers just buy one number for T-Mobile for about $5 and port that in. But I think that most people want to port in a number from another carrier.

I decided to move my primary cell number to Google Voice and then forward calls from Google Voice. It's amazingly useful. I get all the SMS and MMS also in e-mail, voice mail is transcribed to e-mail, and it I'm traveling out of the country I can use a SIM card with data in the phone and still be calling and receiving calls on my regular number. In some places, a data-only SIM card is available, like when I was in China last September.

Device(s)
    LG G2, Moto G5+, Moto E4, (Droid Mini, GS3, Droid4, L41C, Droid3, S390G, LG500G, T404G, T301G, V170)
    Carrier(s)
    Total Wireless (Verizon, Red Pocket, Tracfone)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ls61 View Post
    Bottom line, TF the service is sticking it to their customers when every other TF Inc sub is charging much less per GB.
    Disagree. TF is still thing low usage people while the other subs are after higher usage people.

In this there the people clamoring for cheaper data are barely using any.

It's marketing. Strategic tiers across the subs for particular groups.

Those cheaper data rates come with the higher base cost of unlimited voice/text.

That suggests a possible market segment ignored, low voice/text but medium data use. But there may be unknown costs that prevent an effective/profitable option for that segment.

I went to Verizon when MVNOs were too expensive for the voice/text needs of the family (no good shared data options). Then our data usage increased further and TotalWireless came around with more data for less money. The bump from 15GB to 25GB was just icing.

Device(s)
    LG G2, Moto G5+, Moto E4, (Droid Mini, GS3, Droid4, L41C, Droid3, S390G, LG500G, T404G, T301G, V170)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by smsgator View Post
    The 30GB for three lines is way more than we need, and the shared data is useful since one line uses very little.
    That's likely to return to 20GB in April, unless there's something I missed.

But I think that most people want to port in a number from another carrier.
    As most here are TF customers, they can't port their number to get the extra data,

And if you've got a good number, or widely distributed, changing numbers can be a pain.

GV works for many, but it still has some issues. It's not a full replacement for certain.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by sevillelady View Post
    Nice job boys, stick up for the Mexican Billionaire.
    It's a bit like Stockholm Syndrome, I'm afraid to say.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon, T-Mobile, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    That's likely to return to 20GB in April, unless there's something I missed.

As most here are TF customers, they can't port their number to get the extra data,

And if you've got a good number, or widely distributed, changing numbers can be a pain.

GV works for many, but it still has some issues. It's not a full replacement for certain.
    A TF customer can port out to T-Mobile then port back in to Total Wireless. It's not difficult and would cost less than $10 to do this.

Or port out your regular number to Google Voice and then port-in a T-Mobile number.

With Google Voice you end up with your original number plus another number (which can also be ported in in order to get the 50% more data).

I have not found any issues with Google Voice at all. I find that it's actually more than a full replacement.

1. Wi-Fi calling available, no matter what phone, no matter what carrier, works on low-cost MVNOs.
    2. Regular cellular calling either from Google Voice number or from the carrier assigned number.
    3. Wi-Fi calling/receiving when traveling outside the U.S..
    4. Calling, via Google Voice App or Hangouts, over a foreign data network when using a data-only prepaid SIM card i.e. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01LYBE3IE.
    5. SMS and MMS forwarded to Gmail account (very useful when traveling outside the U.S. with a prepaid SIM card with a foreign number).
    6. Excellent call screening from Google Voice--no more spam calls, no more robo calls. Far better than apps like Trucaller or Nomorobo.
    7. Voicemail transcribed, fairly well, and sent to Gmail account.
    8. If you change wireless carriers you don't need to deal with porting your number.

I also ported my old landline to Google Voice. I wanted to keep it just because of E-911 service and because I've had it so long. It's $25 per year for E-911 service, but other than that it's free.

1. No monthly fee (9-1-1 service costs $25 per year if desired).
    2. Free domestic calls (U.S. and Canada)
    3. Low international rates (as low as 1˘/minute).
    4. Excellent call screening from Google Voice--no more spam calls, no more robo calls.
    5. Voicemail transcribed, fairly well, and sent to Gmail account.
    6. Conference Calls
    7. Caller ID
    8. SMS and MMS available (view online)
    9. Better than a mobile phone for emergencies (E-911 service has your address on file).

Carrier(s)
    Tracfone: Samsung Orbit J3, Sony Xperia XA2 Ultra, Moto e4, Padfone X, LG Rebel 3. Tello: ZTE Max XL
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Leif Ormsbee View Post
    Yes Tracfone is for light usesers it's the best for them or poor people who can't afford more than 12.50$ a month. If your poor you really got to budget your buckets I'd buy a data card every month and 25$ every other month for airtime and minutes so it sucks if your poor and I can't get a life line phone because my address already has one
    I've been using Tello (they're a Sprint MVNO) since October. You can customize most everything about the plan, and every tier includes unlimited texting. I don't use many voice minutes but plenty of data. So, my plan is 100 minutes per month with unlimited texting, and 2 GB of data. On Tello, that runs me just $15 per month.

On Tracfone, that same type of plan would run at least $35...especially if you're texting over 4000 per month. I'm not a big fan of Sprint's network, but the data works well enough that I use it to run my Uber/Lyft driver app.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by smsgator View Post
    A TF customer can port out to T-Mobile then port back in to Total Wireless. It's not difficult and would cost less than $10 to do this.
    Jumping through hoops that that the average user would not even see.

And again, it's short term. Maybe even just one month. Nothing says it will continue beyond the initial month.

In fact, the fine print here https://get.totalwireless.com/you-got-this/
    suggests the extra is treated as a one time promotional addon.

I have not found any issues with Google Voice at all. I find that it's actually more than a full replacement.
    Except for companies that won't accept it, like banks and ride shares (Uber, Lyft).

Then there's the missed call notifications that never rang.

MMS has had issues too, but I haven't tested recently.

I've been a GV user for 8 or 9 years. I know it's capabilities well enough.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mfrerkes View Post
    I've been using Tello (they're a Sprint MVNO)
    I'm not a big fan of Sprint's network,
    Sprint marginally better than T-Mobile in some places. Worse in others.

I for one can't use either at home.

Feedback Score

Except for companies that won't accept it, like banks and ride shares (Uber, Lyft).

I've been using my GV # as my primary # since 2009, and I've had no real phone # since March, 2017, when I started using my GV # via Hangouts over data only exclusively on my cell phone.

I've only experienced 1 out of the 9 banks I deal with that won't text a verification code to my GV #, and in that case, I have the code emailed whenever I need one. There may be other banks that don't offer that option, but none I've experienced.

Uber will manually add a GV # upon request. Yes, it's a bit of a pain initially to communicate with support to get it done, but it works.

Lyft accepted my GV # without issue or any special provision, and it works.

I know some people have reported missed calls to their GV #, but I've never experience missed calls from any legitimate #. I do receive a missed call notification when a call is from a # that is a known spam #; I look up every one after receiving the missed call notification, which happens around 4 times/week.

I haven't experienced any GV MMS issues since GV MMS started working with MMS from all networks several years ago.

I will add that another situation where I had to jump through a special hoop to use my GV # with a service was Social Security. If I had used a "real" cell phone #, I could have set up an online account immediately. Since I didn't have one, I had to request a code to be mailed to me through USPS, which took about a week. After that verification, Social Security now uses my GV # to text me a code each time I log in.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Workarounds, but GV# not a complete replacement since none of those extra steps would be needed with a cell number.

I've had similar problems with other VoIP services, even paid services. Even some numbers I couldn't call, which I haven't seen with GV.

GV is a great service that's getting better and I've used it a lot. It even offers stuff a normal cell number doesn't. But it's not a perfect, 100% replacement yet.

Feedback Score
    Workarounds, but GV# not a complete replacement since none of those extra steps would be needed with a cell number.

I've had similar problems with other VoIP services, even paid services. Even some numbers I couldn't call, which I haven't seen with GV.

GV is a great service that's getting better and I've used it a lot. It even offers stuff a normal cell number doesn't. But it's not a perfect, 100% replacement yet.
    Well, GV+Hangouts+Obihai HAS been a complete replacement for regular #s for me since March, 2017, so it CAN be done. But I don't recommend it as such to most NORMAL people. Lol!

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Boz1 View Post
    But I don't recommend it as such to most NORMAL people. Lol!
    And many of us here are decidedly NOT normal.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon, T-Mobile, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Jumping through hoops that that the average user would not even see.

And again, it's short term. Maybe even just one month. Nothing says it will continue beyond the initial month.

In fact, the fine print here https://get.totalwireless.com/you-got-this/
    suggests the extra is treated as a one time promotional addon.

Things have changed in those 8 or 9 years.

1. Lyft & Uber now work with Google Voice numbers. I think that the reason that they used to not like those numbers is that riders were creating multiple accounts in order to get multiple new rider discounts. But I just tried Uber and Lyft to verify that my Google Voice number works, and it does.

2. I haven't had an issue with a bank, or other entity, not sending SMS verification to a GV number. YMMV.

3. MMS now works on Google Voice, it didn't use to.

4. You still have the native cellular number to use for things like WeChat, WhatsApp, etc., that insist on using only the phone number that is native to the device to log in.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon, T-Mobile, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Boz1 View Post
    Well, GV+Hangouts+Obihai HAS been a complete replacement for regular #s for me since March, 2017, so it CAN be done. But I don't recommend it as such to most NORMAL people. Lol!
    I also have an Obihai/GV "landline." I pay for the E-911 service ($25 per year).

Explaining to my wife to dial the non-911 emergency number, from the landline, for emergencies is too complicated (and they won't know your address).

Actually, when at home, it's better to call the non-911 emergency number from your mobile phone because you get connected directly to the local emergency dispatch center.

Hard to believe that there are still a lot of people paying $30+ for an AT&T landline, plus extra for non-local calls.

Feedback Score
    And many of us here are decidedly NOT normal.
    I admit that I am not average when it comes to technology. My guess is that 99% of the population could not follow the directions to setup an Obi with Google Voice. Many have other talents that I don't.

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast