Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread: Tracfone Data Overpriced

Device(s)
    motoGplay AT&T , Verizon
    Carrier(s)
    ATT
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by lappers View Post
    I'm not familiar with Total Wireless plans or how it works so I may be making assumptions. I don't use much data, I keep it shut off 95% of the time and use Wi-Fi when possible and I'm not a heavy smartphone user so Tracfone works really great for me.

But if I was using Total Wireless, I would need to spend $35 a month or someone said $25 a month which comes to $300 or $420 a year to even get the option of a $10 5GB card? Is that right? Is that what people are spending?

I can get a new samsung tracfone off HSN with 1500 minutes, text and 1.5GB data, with a phone that costs $99 in many places, for $99, making the 1 year service and minutes etc basically free. (And if the phone is defective and you return your costs might even be cheaper)

So my start cost for service time and minutes etc for the year etc is $0 with TF versus $300 with TW to even have the option to buy data. So I buy lets say 10gb data for $100 over the year period which I would never do. I'm still only spending $100 versus total wireless $300 + the data you buy.

For someone like me who is a lite smartphone user and minimizes use of data.. total wireless makes absolutely no sense.. Extremely expensive even with their $10 5gb cards.

Without the hsn deal, I believe I could get a years service for $50, put a $35 card on it, have 750 minutes, 1000 text and 1 gb data plus another 2 months of service for $85. That's even cheaper than getting the phone deal.

As far as I can see, anyway you slice it, Tracfone, especially for the light smartphone user, destroys total wireless price wise.
    What lappers said!!

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy Note 9, iPhone 7 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon, T-Mobile, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bobdevnul View Post
    I admit that I am not average when it comes to technology. My guess is that 99% of the population could not follow the directions to setup an Obi with Google Voice. Many have other talents that I don't.
    There is a pretty good video tutorial on this. I'd say that maybe 10% of the U.S. population could set it up. In my area maybe 50%.

Feedback Score
    smsgator, did you request a ride with Uber after setting up your account with your GV #? Requesting a ride for the first time after setting up the account with a GV # is when the failure occurred for me, and fixing that was what required contacting Uber support to get the GV # manually set up to work. Maybe things have changed since I had to do that?

Feedback Score
    Y'all should count yourselves lucky at even $10 a gb. Spectrum has a 'deal' at $14 gb (plus tax of course). And it's rounded up if you go over by even a kb.

Device(s)
    Unlocked Tracfone iPhone SE & iPhone 6S, Tracfone Samsung Luna Pro, Tracfone LG Rebel 4
    Carrier(s)
    TF/Verizon
    Feedback Score
    It's potentially just $8 per 1.5GB if you get the $8 deal in cart and apply promo code.
    If you buy 3GB for $16.00, that makes it $5.33 a GB, instead of $10.

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 4
    Carrier(s)
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    Promo codes only work once it would be 16 for 2.5 gb

Sent from my Lg Phoenix 4 using HoFo mobile app

Device(s)
    Unlocked Tracfone iPhone SE & iPhone 6S, Tracfone Samsung Luna Pro, Tracfone LG Rebel 4
    Carrier(s)
    TF/Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Leif Ormsbee View Post
    Promo codes only work once it would be 16 for 2.5 gb

Sent from my Lg Phoenix 4 using HoFo mobile app
    Not if you do separate purchases/transactions, according to this member:

Code 14223 used successfully on Feb 2. Added 500Mb to all three separate purchases of the 1G data refill on the same number.

I didn't try to add all 3 1G data refills to a single purchase as my past experience was that an earlier 500Mb promo code was only applied once per transaction.
    https://turkforums.jcink.net/index.p...indpost&p=2123

So once @ $8 = 1.5GB, and again at $8 = 1.5GB = 3GB for $16.00.. in his case he did three (not sure if he did it at the $8 rate).

I myself bought one 1GB data refill for $8 yesterday and received 1.5GB, and could get another one with promo code applied.
    I just did this right now:

Name:  Capture.jpg
Views: 364
Size:  32.5 KB

But I have a lot of data now so I don't need it.
    Last edited by tomseys; 02-07-2019 at 02:49 PM.

Device(s)
    LG G2, Moto G5+, Moto E4, (Droid Mini, GS3, Droid4, L41C, Droid3, S390G, LG500G, T404G, T301G, V170)
    Carrier(s)
    Total Wireless (Verizon, Red Pocket, Tracfone)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris109 View Post
    Y'all should count yourselves lucky at even $10 a gb. Spectrum has a 'deal' at $14 gb (plus tax of course). And it's rounded up if you go over by even a kb.
    Same as Xfinity isn't it?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ST Dog View Post
    Same as Xfinity isn't it?
    Xfinity is $12/GB. See: https://www.xfinity.com/mobile/suppo...y-the-gig-work

Device(s)
    Moto E4 Plus, Moto G4 Play
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop, Red Pocket (AT&T & Verizon)
    Feedback Score
    And it's rounded up if you go over by even a kb.
    Ouch, looks like all the cable companies round up. That really bites!!

Feedback Score
    That price includes unlimited talk and text for 5 lines, 100mb free data, and shared data across all lines. What comes close on Tracfone?

Device(s)
    Moto Z2 Force, X4, G Stylus, G Power, G7, G7Power, G6, G5s+, E6, E5+, E5, E4
    Carrier(s)
    metro by T-Mobile, TracFone on Verizon, AT&T and T-Mobile, and FreeUp.
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by b1geast View Post
    That price includes unlimited talk and text for 5 lines, 100mb free data, and shared data across all lines. What comes close on Tracfone?
    According to their website it's $14 per line.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon, T-Mobile, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    That's likely to return to 20GB in April, unless there's something I missed.
    "Promotional data does not expire with active service." But if they don't extend the promotion, or just bump the regular data up to that amount, then new customers wouldn't get it.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon, T-Mobile, AT&T
    Feedback Score

As most here are TF customers, they can't port their number to get the extra data,

And if you've got a good number, or widely distributed, changing numbers can be a pain.
    There are a couple of options to keep your number and to get the extra data.

You can port out to a non-TF carrier then back in. I know that at least one carrier, Boost says that you can't reactivate the same number within 90 days but I don't see that restriction on TF carriers.

You can port out to Google Voice, at least temporarily, then port back in, though this costs $20.

I think that it would be worth the hassle in order to get the 50% extra data.

Device(s)
    LG G2, Moto G5+, Moto E4, (Droid Mini, GS3, Droid4, L41C, Droid3, S390G, LG500G, T404G, T301G, V170)
    Carrier(s)
    Total Wireless (Verizon, Red Pocket, Tracfone)
    Feedback Score
    Well, scratch all of that. This says it's supposed to be the higher amount as long as you keep service. Can even change plans (I guess add lines) and get the bonus data.

https://bestmvno.com/total-wireless/...-stipulations/

Hopefully this bump it for all customers again. It's been over a year since the last increase.
    Last edited by ST Dog; 02-08-2019 at 10:03 PM.

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast