Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: at&t Dead LAST at the Super Bowl

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S8 Active
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score

at&t Dead LAST at the Super Bowl

Wow. I bet they pray that merger goes through....because if it doesn't.....I don't know! Bleeding people massively. Sections of network rotting. It ain't going good! Can the firstnet contract be voided!!??

T-Mobile network outperforms the rest at Super Bowl

AT&T was in a distant fourth pace with a mean download speed of 34.88 Mbps.

Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by Shizam76 View Post
    Wow. I bet they pray that merger goes through....because if it doesn't.....I don't know! Bleeding people massively. Sections of network rotting. It ain't going good! Can the firstnet contract be voided!!??

Just a few things to add :

Att: I’m about 90% sure had more users then sprint and tmo at the game which will translate into high amount of data usage.

independent testing firms do not show the same results on average att is placed second

Tmo is really good at marketing and showing off their network.. so running speed tests showing only them winning isn’t to accurate

The test used in this article was literally one speed test taken not an average

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Bad PR for AT&T, but all this proves is who was willing to put up temporary capacity for a special* event.

*I tried to watch the game. It wasn't special enough to hold my attention. The halftime show was just horrible.

Device(s)
    iPhone X🅂, Galaxy S8, iPad mini 4
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T, Verizon, T-Mobile, US Cellular
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by tyroned3222 View Post
    Just a few things to add :

Att: I’m about 90% sure had more users then sprint and tmo at the game which will translate into high amount of data usage.

independent testing firms do not show the same results on average att is placed second

Tmo is really good at marketing and showing off their network.. so running speed tests showing only them winning isn’t to accurate

The test used in this article was literally one speed test taken not an average

If any of my suspicion is correct, T-Mobile had people constantly testing their network under the fastest DAS nodes around the stadium to boost their average significantly. This is why we need more independent testing firms. Statistics from Ookla can easily be manipulated.

-Bentley

5-carrier aggregation with LAA (4+46+46+46+66) in Oklahoma City, OK on AT&T's commercial network

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
    -Albert Einstein

Carrier(s)
    TMobile
    Feedback Score

I had some friends at the game (friends that have more money than I do) that don't have a favorite carrier so here's their unbiased report.

With all fours carriers represented the only carrier they had issues with was sprint. They said Verizon tmobile and att were all similar performance and speed wise. One moment during the game one would be faster than the other and the fastest speeds would rotate between the carriers so they really couldn't pin point one as the overall winner, just that sprint was the consistently worst one

Seemed pretty equal overall with the exception being sprint and how mediocre they were

Take it with a grain of salt though

Sent from my iPhone using HoFo

Device(s)
    Galaxy S10
    Carrier(s)
    LTE-A
    Feedback Score
    And the superbowl is over so the point is now irrelevant. 34.8 Mbps average during a packed event is still very good.

Device(s)
    Galaxy S6 Active
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    I'd like to know how much data passed through each carrier's network, and an average of how many devices were connected. Regardless, 35 mbps avg is great for an event like that. I'm going to see if anymore press releases come in the next few days.

AT&T* customers and*FirstNet*subscribers are getting a big boost in*cellular*coverage and capacity throughout the Atlanta area to prep for football’s Biggest Game.
    In addition to being the*first*and only company to make standards-based mobile 5G available to Atlanta businesses and consumers, we’ve been working for more than a year to boost the AT&T network through a series of permanent and temporary upgrades throughout the city. All this is to ensure fans can share special moments on social media during the week-long pre-game festivities, back at their hotels and at the stadium during the Big Game—faster and easier than before.
    “While fans in Atlanta cheer on their favorite team, we want to deliver a great network experience—whether customers are sharing their favorite moments on social media, making a call or checking email,” said Scott Mair, president, AT&T Operations. “Many of the network enhancements deployed for the Big Game are permanent and will continue to benefit customers and first responders long after the game ends. It’s just one of the ways we’re continuing to invest in our Atlanta network.”
    And as one of the year’s biggest sporting events, the FirstNet team at AT&T and the*First Responder Network Authority*(FirstNet Authority) have been working hand-in-hand with dozens of public safety agencies to prepare. This prep-work helps ensure first responders have the coverage, capacity and capabilities – priority and preemption included – that they need to stay connected throughout the festivities, so they can keep fans safe.
    In total, we’ve invested more than $43 million, so fans and first responders can have an all-around better mobile experience.

[https://about]

Better coverage*in*the stadium
    As a proud sponsor of Mercedes-Benz Stadium, we want our customers to enjoy the best possible game day experience while helping first responders keep them safe.
    We’ve upgraded our portion of the in-stadium Distributed Antenna System (DAS) to provide over 300% more LTE capacity than what was available at the start of the football season. The DAS – a system of strategically-placed antennas that distribute and actively manage wireless network coverage throughout the stadium – features approximately 1,500 antennas and 1,550 remote amplifiers to help evenly distribute coverage for a better experience.
    At Mercedes-Benz Stadium, we’re utilizing*the most LTE capacity*currently available on any AT&T DAS in the state of Georgia. This capacity boost helps ease heavy wireless traffic and gives fans and first responders strong wireless coverage throughout game day – from early tailgating to the final trophy presentation.**
    And it doesn’t stop there. The stadium is also home to*The AT&T Perch, a special interactive area dedicated to the fans.
    Better coverage*out*of the stadium
    We expect crowds of more than 1 million people, but we’re ready with*more than 3,000*new network improvements within the metro area. In addition to Mercedes-Benz Stadium, we’ve upgraded or installed a new DAS at*30 additional locations*throughout the Atlanta area. Fans – and first responders on duty – will be able to better enjoy coverage in hotels, arenas, airports, convention centers, among other venues.
    We have also launched*hundreds of new small cell locations*to existing structures like traffic signals, buildings, street lights and poles within the metro Atlanta area.
    Furthermore, we’re deploying*5 Cell on Light Trucks (COLTs)*to handle expected increased wireless network demands. They will improve reliability and data speeds during the week leading up to and during the Big Game.
    The deployments will include a COLT at Atlantic Station to enhance coverage for all the fans headed to*DIRECTV Super Saturday Night. Other locations include Peachtree Street to support high traffic venues, one supporting airport hotel traffic, one supporting hotel traffic in Downtown Atlanta, and one near the Galleria area to support pre-game parties.
    These investments will allow Atlanta residents to celebrate the Big Game over the AT&T network at home, at work or on the go.
    Keeping public safety connected
    In addition to these network enhancements, we’ve been making public safety-specific preparations to ensure the FirstNet communications platform is ready for the Big Game:

Public safety’s high-quality*Band 14 spectrum*has been deployed across the area to provide optimal coverage and capacity for first responders.

DAS have been installed at numerous local and federal public safety agency centers.

A*FirstNet SatCOLT*will be staged outside of the stadium for extra redundancy and will provide additional coverage to first responders if needed.

Plus, members of the FirstNet team will staff the Command Post for GEMA Homeland Security in the week leading up to and through the day of the Big Game. This will help ensure public safety’s communications needs are met. *
    FirstNet is the nationwide communications platform dedicated to America’s first responders and public safety community. It’s being built with AT&T in public-private partnership with the FirstNet Authority. And it’s bringing public safety a much-needed technology upgrade to help them connect to the critical information they need – especially when at large events like the Big Game.
    https://about.att.com/story/2019/att..._coverage.html

Sent from my SM-N960U 6GB aka Note 9 using Tapatalk

Device(s)
    iPhone XS Max 256Gb
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T Mobility
    Feedback Score

Not that these are earth shattering speeds! But what can’t you do with 34Mbps? Can’t stream? Check email? Social media? Send pics? What applications are unusable at this speed? Speed tests at this point have pretty much become a pissing contest.
    Last edited by DRC72; 02-04-2019 at 08:25 PM.
    Hartford, CT Area

Feedback Score
    I forgot Sprint was a carrier. But when I heard it was number two, I realized it doesn't matter. As someone before/above me posted, how many devices were connected, and how much data was going through?

Feedback Score

Merger? The T-Mobile and Sprint merger? Why?

Feedback Score
    With the amount of work and money the carriers put into preparing, I’m surprised. https://www.cnet.com/news/super-bowl...s-up-to-snuff/
    Honestly, the only good thing about the Superbowl coming to a city is how much better the wireless service is after it’s over, with increased backhaul, new towers and small cells, and other permanent upgrades. These upgrades would otherwise take years to happen, if at all. It’d be great if carriers took this approach to every city. Be proactive, not reactive.

Device(s)
    iPhone 8 Plus, iPad (5th Gen)
    Carrier(s)
    310-150, 310-260
    Feedback Score
    By itself, 34.8 Mbps is pretty good (honestly, I know people that would take that "lousy" speed for home internet), and while they certain could improve in a lot of areas, I wonder how much of this is also already natively built out and just needed antennas added or other "finishing touches" - note no fiber runs and considerably lower costs than Verizon's investment (Atlanta is a big market for AT&T - their mobility division is based there as is Cricket), rather than needing to boost capacity temporarily.

Device(s)
    IPhone Xr
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint, AT&T Mobley
    Feedback Score

over sell it much or what? Other than internet spec hounds, few care as long as people can do what they want with their phones. Seems the hounds and PR wanks only use their phones for speed tests.
    Paul Thurrott:
    Not now mom, somebody's wrong on the Internet

Device(s)
    iPhone 8 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Joeybutts View Post
    I'd like to know how much data passed through each carrier's network, and an average of how many devices were connected. Regardless, 35 mbps avg is great for an event like that. I'm going to see if anymore press releases come in the next few days.

https://about.att.com/story/2019/att..._coverage.html

Sent from my SM-N960U 6GB aka Note 9 using Tapatalk
    I agree. I would like to see how much data the carriers handled. Typically in crowded events like this higher download speeds just means less active users on one particular carrier. According to some older 2018 numbers t-mo has about half as many subscribers as att and Verizon. So it would make sense that they have the potential for faster speeds with less devices competing for the spectrum.

Either way they all did a really good job keeping high speeds with all the active users.

Feedback Score
    Who cares? Why does anyone need a phone or data at a football game? The world has gone stupid.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast