Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 16

Thread: 5G Service Launch

  1. #1
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Vancouver, Canada
    Posts
    1,037
    Device(s)
    BlackBerry Key2 LE
    Carrier(s)
    Freedom Mobile
    Feedback Score
    0

    5G Service Launch

    Any ideas when FM will be deploying their 5G service? I hope it will not be 5 years later after the Big 3 launch. Just a thought .... My gut tells me it will only be available with the new upcoming Shaw Mobility at first, and will be apart of their new premium service campaign.

    Sent from my BBE100-2 using HoFo mobile app
    Last edited by mitchy_mitch; 02-05-2019 at 12:22 AM.
    ""Wine'm, dine'm, sixty9'm""

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    1,131
    Feedback Score
    0
    The big 3 won't have mobile 5G service until 2021 at the earliest. I don't see FM launching before 2022.
    Want to learn more about how LTE works?
    https://productioncommunity.publicmo...ls/td-p/130581

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    GTA
    Posts
    262
    Feedback Score
    0
    Canada to hold key 5G spectrum auction in 2020, says Innovation Minister Bains. Canada's government will auction key wireless spectrum for fifth-generation mobile networks in 2020, Innovation Minister Navdeep Bains

  4. #4
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Posts
    1,358
    Device(s)
    iPhone8
    Carrier(s)
    Koodo, Freedom, Public
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by sheytoon View Post
    The big 3 won't have mobile 5G service until 2021 at the earliest. I don't see FM launching before 2022.
    Really?

    I know you have good background and all but I am surprised you think Shaw will let this fall behind, esp as they have the smallest network to upgrade

    I know all carriers are just predictions and all and stuff changes
    Koodo $40 Canada Wide + 8GB + 1000 Intl LD
    Public $120 Province Wide + 12GB - $6 Autopay - $12 Loyalty - $45 Refer = $19 per Month
    Freedom $35 ($37-BTS) North America Wide + 8GB + 1GB Roaming

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    1,131
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Peppermint View Post
    Really?

    I know you have good background and all but I am surprised you think Shaw will let this fall behind, esp as they have the smallest network to upgrade

    I know all carriers are just predictions and all and stuff changes
    I've been wrong before!

    It's a total guess from me with regards to FM. We honestly don't know the spectrum auction date yet. ISED has said 2020 for 3.5 GHz, but haven't said which date exactly. If it's late 2020, it means the operators can only place orders for radio equipment after that. By the time the orders are processed, manufactured, shipped, installed, commissioned, and trialled internally by the engineering teams, then optimized again before customer launch, it'll be anywhere from 4-8 months. That's where I got the 2021 prediction.

    Maybe I'm being too pessimistic about FM launching in 2022. They might also get it done in 2021.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Vancouver
    Posts
    947
    Device(s)
    Nexus 6P, OnePlus One, Moto E 2nd gen.
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    0
    To clarify, 3.5GHz is already licensed to some providers like Telus and Inukshuk (Bell/Rogers partnership), but it is against their license terms to use it for mobile, only for fixed wireless to provide internet access. Same goes for mmWave spectrum.
    ISED has given some license exemptions for testing, which all the major providers have used for limited trials (including Shaw in Calgary)

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    1,131
    Feedback Score
    0
    Yes, very true. Thanks for that clarification!
    I did mention "mobile 5G" in the original response, but should've clarified again here. Incumbents might launch fixed 5G any time before the auction.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    Greater Toronto Area
    Posts
    76
    Device(s)
    LG V20
    Carrier(s)
    WIND/Freedom Mobile
    Feedback Score
    0
    I won't pretend to be an expert, but looking at the list of bands, they include existing frequencies. New frequencies aren't a prerequisite to launch 5G, they could use the frequencies they have today to offer enhanced services, just like the leap from 3G to 4G on the same frequency.
    Am I reading that wrong?

    If that's correct, then I see the only barrier for initial launches being 5G RFUs for the antenna sites. (And of course, users with 5G compatible modems). And I see no reason why Shaw would delay if it means they can leapfrog the competition with faster deployment due to smaller footprint. That's a huge competitive advantage if they could pull it off. However short-lived that lead might be.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Vancouver
    Posts
    947
    Device(s)
    Nexus 6P, OnePlus One, Moto E 2nd gen.
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    0
    In general, yes. The "3.5GHz" band is called n78 in 5G NR, but it is the equivalent to LTE Band 42/43 (minus about 10MHz of lower n78). There are many other 5G bands that are essentially the equivalent of existing deployed LTE bands, with the exception of mmWave spectrum. That spectrum is currently used for backhaul links between towers and other purposes.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    1,131
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by lewl View Post
    I won't pretend to be an expert, but looking at the list of bands, they include existing frequencies. New frequencies aren't a prerequisite to launch 5G, they could use the frequencies they have today to offer enhanced services, just like the leap from 3G to 4G on the same frequency.
    Am I reading that wrong?

    If that's correct, then I see the only barrier for initial launches being 5G RFUs for the antenna sites. (And of course, users with 5G compatible modems). And I see no reason why Shaw would delay if it means they can leapfrog the competition with faster deployment due to smaller footprint. That's a huge competitive advantage if they could pull it off. However short-lived that lead might be.
    Conceptually you are right, but nobody is going to reduce LTE capacity in the next 2 years in order to launch NR for a handful of customers on n66 or n7. Keep in mind, NR is only slightly more spectrally efficient than LTE (10-15%), so a small channel like 5 or 10 MHz is not going to be noticeably better on 5G. For now, it's better to keep it as a single wide channel on LTE.

    In addition to that, vendors are prioritizing n71, n78 and n257 for the Canadian market.

    The only other possibility I can think of, would be for FM to launch 5G on n71 in late 2019 or early 2020. But this would be for marketing only, as the speeds would be slower than Bell/Telus/Rogers LTE.
    Last edited by sheytoon; 02-09-2019 at 06:56 AM.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    179
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by zivan56 View Post
    To clarify, 3.5GHz is already licensed to some providers like Telus and Inukshuk (Bell/Rogers partnership
    Which band are they licensed on? 22, 48 perhaps?
    My evolution: Morse code key->Qualcomm 860->2760->Mot Accompli 008->009->mpx200->mpx220->Samsung i607 BJ I->i617 BJ II->i637 BJ III->Nokia E72->E73 ->E6->Mot NEXUS 6

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Vancouver
    Posts
    947
    Device(s)
    Nexus 6P, OnePlus One, Moto E 2nd gen.
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by enufwireless View Post
    Which band are they licensed on? 22, 48 perhaps?
    42/43 for fixed wireless.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    Greater Toronto Area
    Posts
    76
    Device(s)
    LG V20
    Carrier(s)
    WIND/Freedom Mobile
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by sheytoon View Post
    Conceptually you are right, but nobody is going to reduce LTE capacity in the next 2 years in order to launch NR for a handful of customers on n66 or n7. Keep in mind, NR is only slightly more spectrally efficient than LTE (10-15%), so a small channel like 5 or 10 MHz is not going to be noticeably better on 5G. For now, it's better to keep it as a single wide channel on LTE.

    In addition to that, vendors are prioritizing n71, n78 and n257 for the Canadian market.

    The only other possibility I can think of, would be for FM to launch 5G on n71 in late 2019 or early 2020. But this would be for marketing only, as the speeds would be slower than Bell/Telus/Rogers LTE.
    Yes, that's what I'm suggesting they might do. If they win big at the auction, launch 71 on 5G, or some in 4G, some in 5G (Eastern would likely need all 4G, very limited bandwidth currently).
    Don't underestimate the power of marketing, to say 'first 5G in Canada'.
    Most people don't even understand the difference between faux-G (HSPA+ shown as 4G by select manufacturers/carriers) and real 4G (LTE). So not knowing the benefit to 5G vs 4G is marginal on the same frequency is irrelevant to them. They just see higher number = better. That's the marketing power.
    (Even though launch on a low frequency band would mean slow speeds)

    All that side, the big 3 could do that far faster than Shaw could. They have a ton of extra existing spectrum to throw around in most markets.
    In contrast, Shaw's only real option at this point is new spectrum.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    214
    Device(s)
    iPhone XS, iPad Mini 2, MacBook Pro 2013 13”, Apple TV 4.
    Carrier(s)
    TELUS
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by lewl View Post
    Yes, that's what I'm suggesting they might do. If they win big at the auction, launch 71 on 5G, or some in 4G, some in 5G (Eastern would likely need all 4G, very limited bandwidth currently).
    Don't underestimate the power of marketing, to say 'first 5G in Canada'.
    Most people don't even understand the difference between faux-G (HSPA+ shown as 4G by select manufacturers/carriers) and real 4G (LTE). So not knowing the benefit to 5G vs 4G is marginal on the same frequency is irrelevant to them. They just see higher number = better. That's the marketing power.
    (Even though launch on a low frequency band would mean slow speeds)

    All that side, the big 3 could do that far faster than Shaw could. They have a ton of extra existing spectrum to throw around in most markets.
    In contrast, Shaw's only real option at this point is new spectrum.
    I truly hope they’ll extend their Home network to improve coverage before going for 5G haha!


    Sent from my iPhone XS using Tapatalk

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    Greater Toronto Area
    Posts
    76
    Device(s)
    LG V20
    Carrier(s)
    WIND/Freedom Mobile
    Feedback Score
    0
    The two are not mutually exclusive...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Rogers Home Phone Service Launch Party
    By tequilaworm in forum Rogers Wireless
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-11-2005, 12:12 PM
  2. Home Service Launched
    By collage in forum Rogers Wireless
    Replies: 61
    Last Post: 07-03-2005, 11:36 PM
  3. First phone-over-cable service launched
    By MainEvent23 in forum The Lounge
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 01-25-2005, 08:49 PM
  4. Replies: 14
    Last Post: 05-24-2004, 02:14 PM
  5. HotSPOT Service Launched
    By MikeRules in forum TELUS Mobility
    Replies: 39
    Last Post: 10-30-2003, 07:25 AM

Bookmarks