Results 1 to 13 of 13

Thread: New T-Mobile pledges same or better rates for T-Mo and Sprint customers for 3 Years

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    4,576
    Feedback Score
    0

    New T-Mobile pledges same or better rates for T-Mo and Sprint customers for 3 Years

    https://www.tmonews.com/2019/02/t-mo...s-post-merger/
    https://ecfsapi.fcc.gov/file/1020421...02.03.2019.pdf

    "New T-Mobile has committed to offering the same or better rate plans as those offered by T-Mobile or Sprint as of today’s date for three years following the merger."
    ......
    "T-Mobile explains that T-Mo and Sprint legacy plans will continue as New T-Mobile plans for three years after the merger or until better plans that offer a lower price or more data are available, whichever happens first."

    Looking at the actual wording in the FCC letter, it appears to me that they are going beyond just committing that existing customers can keep existing plans. The wording appears to promise that they will OFFER these plans for 3 years as well, meaning keep them open to new customers as well as old:

    "New T-Mobile will make available the same or better rate plans as those offered by T-Mobile or Sprint as of today’s date for three years following the merger."

    .......
    "For those reasons, the Applicants have no objection to this representation being included as a formal merger condition in the order approving the transaction."


    Of course a lot will depend on the exact final wording of the formal merger condition that is issued.
    Last edited by comintel; 02-05-2019 at 06:27 AM.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    8,672
    Carrier(s)
    TMobile
    Feedback Score
    0
    Hopefully John pledger keeps to his word. I think they will, and will treat customers decent throughout the process

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    788
    Device(s)
    Moto G (6)
    Carrier(s)
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    0
    No way. I'm on the free plan.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    4,806
    Feedback Score
    0
    Total BS.

    Right after this is final John will cut his hair short & wear business suits.
    As a USA citizen I have the right to criticize my government. My thanks for this is endless in magnitude.

    Fascism is here led by a racist, hypersensitive, crass, immoral psychopathic traitor, narcissist liar committing High Treason against the USA.

    Red Pocket (AT&T) $192yr UTnT 5GB exp 08.08.19
    Red Pocket (AT&T) $184.50yr UTnT 1GB exp 02.23.19
    T-Mo Gold Rewards $10yr exp 01.16.20
    Tello x2 (Sprint) $5 1-use/3mo no exp by 03.13.19

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Gulf Coast
    Posts
    15,192
    Device(s)
    Samsung Avant, Nexus 5X, Moto G
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, Project Fi, PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by comintel View Post
    ......"....or until better plans that offer a lower price or more data are available, whichever happens first."....
    As a T-Mobile customer for some years, I'll point out some history and the weasel-wording here. T-Mobile does have a history of keeping legacy plans active for many years. I was on a bizarre old base plan that originally came from DigiPH PCS, which was merged into Powertel, which was merged into T-Mobile. Onto this was bolted a T-Mobile data option. I was probably the only customer still on this base plan 14 years later, when T-Mobile converted me to a very favorable "Select Choice" plan. So they do have a decent history. Having said that, their Simple Choice plans were just too good. They had added so many freebies to the plan (e.g. Data Stash, zero-rate music, zero-rate Binge-On video, etc) that one day they woke up and realized that they were giving away the ranch. What did they do? They came out with T-Mobile ONE, which cost more but was a "better" plan with "unlimited" data. The problem was that T-Mobile ONE was not a better option for 90% of customers. It was just "better" on paper. So, under the terms above, someone on a 3 GB data plan could be converted to an "unlimited" plan because it offers "more data", even though the customer doesn't need it. T-Mobile would be keeping their promise, as written, but not in spirit.

    P.S. All bets are off for promotional plans with a time limit after the end date passes.
    Donald Newcomb

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    8,672
    Carrier(s)
    TMobile
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by DRNewcomb View Post
    As a T-Mobile customer for some years, I'll point out some history and the weasel-wording here. T-Mobile does have a history of keeping legacy plans active for many years. I was on a bizarre old base plan that originally came from DigiPH PCS, which was merged into Powertel, which was merged into T-Mobile. Onto this was bolted a T-Mobile data option. I was probably the only customer still on this base plan 14 years later, when T-Mobile converted me to a very favorable "Select Choice" plan. So they do have a decent history. Having said that, their Simple Choice plans were just too good. They had added so many freebies to the plan (e.g. Data Stash, zero-rate music, zero-rate Binge-On video, etc) that one day they woke up and realized that they were giving away the ranch. What did they do? They came out with T-Mobile ONE, which cost more but was a "better" plan with "unlimited" data. The problem was that T-Mobile ONE was not a better option for 90% of customers. It was just "better" on paper. So, under the terms above, someone on a 3 GB data plan could be converted to an "unlimited" plan because it offers "more data", even though the customer doesn't need it. T-Mobile would be keeping their promise, as written, but not in spirit.

    P.S. All bets are off for promotional plans with a time limit after the end date passes.
    I think most definitely either prices will go up or features and things like hookup discounts will be gone after the 3 years. As it is TMobile one isn't good for just 1 line. They could easily get rid of the auto pay discount and that's $5 right there.

    I do think they will be pretty civil about it but I don't see them offering unlimited for $50

    A classic example of getting a service that works and not keep a company just to remain loyal since things can change fast

    Also, a better rate plan could be $10 more a month but maybe a few extra features that someone may or may not want.

    However, with att raising prices again TMobile could still set themselves apart from the rest with competitive prices so hopefully things don't get too bad
    Last edited by themanhimself; 02-05-2019 at 11:07 AM.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    3,556
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    0
    Ok, we weren't worried about the immediate competition in the landscape.

    So, in 37 months, expect to see prices jacked up. This is bad bad bad news.

    Also, nobody really likes to talk, with ATT and VZW being more similar than not - they can still easily take on this merged company. They come from the same company and background and have shown brazen disregard to collude through good ole' boy tactics on pricing. ATT and VZW still control a lot of the internet back haul necessary for a network, cellular or wired.

    Letting these two merge just empowers the Ma Bell monopoly. There will still be a very weak and anemic opponent vs one of the most proficient monopolies to ever exist. Go look at the two companies' combined total worth - it is STUNNING. Mind you, until ATT got that Mexico network, they really only served one country too. All the other top companies served the globe, at least much more than VZW and ATT.

    So, tell me, how is this merger going to help prices? A price lock for 3 years? Again, I wasn't worried about pricing in 2020, I'm worried about it in 2025.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    4,576
    Feedback Score
    0
    Some are saying that the merger must be on the brink of being denied as the price pledge is an apparent desperation gambit.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    8,672
    Carrier(s)
    TMobile
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by comintel View Post
    Some are saying that the merger must be on the brink of being denied as the price pledge is an apparent desperation gambit.
    I've kind of wondered if something was going on since they have been laying it on thick as of recently

    Wonder if it's anticipation for the DC meeting

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    150
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Morphling27 View Post
    Ok, we weren't worried about the immediate competition in the landscape.

    So, in 37 months, expect to see prices jacked up. This is bad bad bad news.

    Also, nobody really likes to talk, with ATT and VZW being more similar than not - they can still easily take on this merged company. They come from the same company and background and have shown brazen disregard to collude through good ole' boy tactics on pricing. ATT and VZW still control a lot of the internet back haul necessary for a network, cellular or wired.

    Letting these two merge just empowers the Ma Bell monopoly. There will still be a very weak and anemic opponent vs one of the most proficient monopolies to ever exist. Go look at the two companies' combined total worth - it is STUNNING. Mind you, until ATT got that Mexico network, they really only served one country too. All the other top companies served the globe, at least much more than VZW and ATT.

    So, tell me, how is this merger going to help prices? A price lock for 3 years? Again, I wasn't worried about pricing in 2020, I'm worried about it in 2025.
    Buy T and VZW stock shares today. You will have more than enough in dividends and capital appreciation over the next six years to pay your jacked up 2025 T-mobile rates.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    484
    Feedback Score
    0
    One would think that the capital city for capitalism of the western world would encourage more competition. The lack of competition on many levels not just cellphone carriers is really bad here in this country.

    Sent from my SM-N960U1 using Tapatalk

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    629
    Feedback Score
    0
    I really hope, if this merger goes through, that it’s good for customers. You guys deserve it.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Posts
    2,783
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by DebiLee View Post
    I really hope, if this merger goes through, that it’s good for customers. You guys deserve it.
    It probably will be. All of the mergers in the smartphone era have been accompanied by price reductions and huge improvements in service.

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-12-2011, 12:21 PM
  2. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 10-05-2004, 06:15 PM
  3. picks for the v300 and mp3's for anyone intrested.
    By chapinrico in forum Rogers Wireless
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-03-2004, 03:21 PM
  4. Bad News for AT&T and Sprint Ports
    By just_simply in forum T-Mobile
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 12-09-2003, 12:28 AM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks