Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 24

Thread: Firstnet and Roaming

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Chicago burbs
    Posts
    2,342
    Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S8 Active
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    0

    Firstnet and Roaming

    I came across this fiercewireless article from 2012! Apparently boards and panels wanted firstnet to be able to roam anywhere on any carrier network??? Is that not on the table anymore?

    I happen to be somewhere last week....it was inside....can't remember where....but I had no signal, however I did show 2 bars of Verizon (but can't do anything with it...."emergency calls only" when trying to call out). Haven't heard another peep about this roaming ability that was talked about back then.

    "FirstNet should ensure that its devices enable FirstNet to enter roaming agreements and public-private partnership arrangements with any commercial service provider and allow FirstNet users to obtain service in those commercial networks. A device that is capable of obtaining such service in certain bands shall operate on all FirstNet roaming partner networks operating in those bands and not be locked to a subset of FirstNet roaming partner networks operating in those bands," said the requirements document.



    Specs set for roaming between public-safety LTE and commercial networks

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    5,309
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Shizam76 View Post
    I came across this fiercewireless article from 2012! Apparently boards and panels wanted firstnet to be able to roam anywhere on any carrier network??? Is that not on the table anymore? I happen to be somewhere last week....it was inside....can't remember where....but I had no signal, however I did show 2 bars of Verizon (but can't do anything with it...."emergency calls only" when trying to call out). Haven't heard another peep about this roaming ability that was talked about back then. "FirstNet should ensure that its devices enable FirstNet to enter roaming agreements and public-private partnership arrangements with any commercial service provider and allow FirstNet users to obtain service in those commercial networks. A device that is capable of obtaining such service in certain bands shall operate on all FirstNet roaming partner networks operating in those bands and not be locked to a subset of FirstNet roaming partner networks operating in those bands," said the requirements document. Specs set for roaming between public-safety LTE and commercial networks
    do you have roaming / data roaming enabled on your phone ??

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Chicago burbs
    Posts
    2,342
    Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S8 Active
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by october262 View Post
    do you have roaming / data roaming enabled on your phone ??
    It's enabled. Never roamed though. The networks have to allow it which I assume they aren't. Why? It's just not setup yet on the network end? Or this just never left the table from back in 2012.

    Sent from my SM-G892A using HoFo mobile app

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    5,309
    Feedback Score
    0
    Maybe they don't have an agreement
    In that area / location yet. Did you try
    WIFI calling yet ??

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Chicago burbs
    Posts
    2,342
    Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S8 Active
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by october262 View Post
    Maybe they don't have an agreement
    In that area / location yet. Did you try
    WIFI calling yet ??
    I'm using an AT&T sim, so I've always been able to do wifi calling

    Sent from my SM-G892A using HoFo mobile app

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    5,309
    Feedback Score
    0
    do you know if you had service outside the place where you was at ?? and were you in a Rural Area ?? - https://www.rrmediagroup.com/Feature...etails/FID/819 also see this here - https://www.firstnet.com/ecms/dam/at...9-21_FINAL.pdf and read under GENERAL WIRELESS SERVICE TERMS - Coverage.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Chicago burbs
    Posts
    2,342
    Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S8 Active
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by october262 View Post
    do you know if you had service outside the place where you was at ?? and were you in a Rural Area ?? - https://www.rrmediagroup.com/Feature...etails/FID/819
    It wasn't rural, but when I got closer to the door (thinking, I remember I was in a Kohl's) I got at&t back.

    Sent from my SM-G892A using HoFo mobile app

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    5,309
    Feedback Score
    0
    it could've been the construction of the building that AT&Ts signal couldn't penetrate.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Chicago burbs
    Posts
    2,342
    Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S8 Active
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by october262 View Post
    it could've been the construction of the building that AT&Ts signal couldn't penetrate.
    Yep I'm sure that was it.....but I could see decent Verizon signal, so roaming would have been nice. IF there were ever a first Responder event there, it would be an issue. So, I wonder if firstnet roaming will ever come to....

    Sent from my SM-G892A using HoFo mobile app

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Gulf Coast
    Posts
    15,192
    Device(s)
    Samsung Avant, Nexus 5X, Moto G
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, Project Fi, PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Shizam76 View Post
    Yep I'm sure that was it.....but I could see decent Verizon signal, so roaming would have been nice. IF there were ever a first Responder event there, it would be an issue. So, I wonder if firstnet roaming will ever come to....
    When it comes to other carriers roaming them, AT&T is very "proud of" their signal. I'm sure any carriers AT&T roams would be equally "proud of" their signals. Could become non-cost-effective.
    Donald Newcomb

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Chicago burbs
    Posts
    2,342
    Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S8 Active
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by DRNewcomb View Post
    When it comes to other carriers roaming them, AT&T is very "proud of" their signal. I'm sure any carriers AT&T roams would be equally "proud of" their signals. Could become non-cost-effective.
    Yeah, not cost effective to let everyone start roaming on all 3 other networks. But, what about just firstnet accounts? Allowing only them to roam. There would have to be an incentive (maybe government issued?) for the other 3 to allow/agree to it.

    Sent from my SM-G892A using HoFo mobile app

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Location
    OKC/KC
    Posts
    1,959
    Device(s)
    iPhone X🅂, Galaxy S8, iPad mini 4
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T, Verizon, T-Mobile, US Cellular
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Shizam76 View Post
    Yeah, not cost effective to let everyone start roaming on all 3 other networks. But, what about just firstnet accounts? Allowing only them to roam. There would have to be an incentive (maybe government issued?) for the other 3 to allow/agree to it.

    Sent from my SM-G892A using HoFo mobile app
    The government incentive is for AT&T to build out and maintain FirstNet’s network in areas that currently have limited or no service. Roaming partnerships aren’t part of the deal. While it may sound nice, the reality is that AT&T is trying to cover as many square miles possible, which is doable. It takes time to build out a high-quality network.
    -Bentley


    5-carrier aggregation with LAA (4+46+46+46+66) in Oklahoma City, OK on AT&T's commercial network

    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
    -Albert Einstein

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Chicago burbs
    Posts
    2,342
    Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S8 Active
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by BentleyBeard View Post
    The government incentive is for AT&T to build out and maintain FirstNet’s network in areas that currently have limited or no service. Roaming partnerships aren’t part of the deal. While it may sound nice, the reality is that AT&T is trying to cover as many square miles possible, which is doable. It takes time to build out a high-quality network.
    So that roaming mentioned in that 2012 article was a thought that will never be?

    Sent from my SM-G892A using HoFo mobile app

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    632
    Feedback Score
    0
    A few things. I came across this article regarding “Emergency calls only” https://www.scienceabc.com/innovatio...-coverage.html

    Also a thread regarding FirstNet SIM verses consumer AT&T SIM. https://www.howardforums.com/showthr...0#post17035540

    Also I remember when Hurricane Sandy hit AT&T and T-Mobile enabled roaming onto each other due to down towers, so I assume that during an emergency and post disaster recovery this could take place regardless of whether or not Firstnet was in the picture. https://www.connectmedia.co.ke/att-t...nable-roaming/

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Location
    OKC/KC
    Posts
    1,959
    Device(s)
    iPhone X🅂, Galaxy S8, iPad mini 4
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T, Verizon, T-Mobile, US Cellular
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Shizam76 View Post
    So that roaming mentioned in that 2012 article was a thought that will never be?

    Sent from my SM-G892A using HoFo mobile app
    Since FN is aiming to cover the most ground out of any carrier, it’s not likely.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Prepaid and Roaming...
    By ImportCell in forum Fido
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-25-2002, 11:06 AM
  2. SMS/email and roaming
    By schlaager in forum AT&T
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 05-12-2002, 07:01 PM
  3. Voicestream and roaming
    By Randall_T in forum T-Mobile
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 12-04-2001, 11:32 PM
  4. Sim card and Roaming
    By fmulder22 in forum T-Mobile
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 09-17-2001, 10:04 AM
  5. Solo Prepaid and Roaming.
    By torontonian2001 in forum Bell Mobility
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 06-20-2001, 02:14 PM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks