Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Firstnet and Roaming

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S8 Active
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score

Firstnet and Roaming

I came across this fiercewireless article from 2012! Apparently boards and panels wanted firstnet to be able to roam anywhere on any carrier network??? Is that not on the table anymore?

I happen to be somewhere last week....it was inside....can't remember where....but I had no signal, however I did show 2 bars of Verizon (but can't do anything with it...."emergency calls only" when trying to call out). Haven't heard another peep about this roaming ability that was talked about back then.

"FirstNet should ensure that its devices enable FirstNet to enter roaming agreements and public-private partnership arrangements with any commercial service provider and allow FirstNet users to obtain service in those commercial networks. A device that is capable of obtaining such service in certain bands shall operate on all FirstNet roaming partner networks operating in those bands and not be locked to a subset of FirstNet roaming partner networks operating in those bands," said the requirements document.

Specs set for roaming between public-safety LTE and commercial networks

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Shizam76 View Post
    I came across this fiercewireless article from 2012! Apparently boards and panels wanted firstnet to be able to roam anywhere on any carrier network??? Is that not on the table anymore? I happen to be somewhere last week....it was inside....can't remember where....but I had no signal, however I did show 2 bars of Verizon (but can't do anything with it...."emergency calls only" when trying to call out). Haven't heard another peep about this roaming ability that was talked about back then. "FirstNet should ensure that its devices enable FirstNet to enter roaming agreements and public-private partnership arrangements with any commercial service provider and allow FirstNet users to obtain service in those commercial networks. A device that is capable of obtaining such service in certain bands shall operate on all FirstNet roaming partner networks operating in those bands and not be locked to a subset of FirstNet roaming partner networks operating in those bands," said the requirements document. Specs set for roaming between public-safety LTE and commercial networks
    do you have roaming / data roaming enabled on your phone ??

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S8 Active
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by october262 View Post
    do you have roaming / data roaming enabled on your phone ??
    It's enabled. Never roamed though. The networks have to allow it which I assume they aren't. Why? It's just not setup yet on the network end? Or this just never left the table from back in 2012.

Sent from my SM-G892A using HoFo mobile app

Feedback Score
    Maybe they don't have an agreement
    In that area / location yet. Did you try
    WIFI calling yet ??

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S8 Active
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Maybe they don't have an agreement
    In that area / location yet. Did you try
    WIFI calling yet ??
    I'm using an AT&T sim, so I've always been able to do wifi calling

Feedback Score
    do you know if you had service outside the place where you was at ?? and were you in a Rural Area ?? - https://www.rrmediagroup.com/Feature...etails/FID/819 also see this here - https://www.firstnet.com/ecms/dam/at...9-21_FINAL.pdf and read under GENERAL WIRELESS SERVICE TERMS - Coverage.

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S8 Active
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    do you know if you had service outside the place where you was at ?? and were you in a Rural Area ?? - https://www.rrmediagroup.com/Feature...etails/FID/819
    It wasn't rural, but when I got closer to the door (thinking, I remember I was in a Kohl's) I got at&t back.

Feedback Score
    it could've been the construction of the building that AT&Ts signal couldn't penetrate.

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S8 Active
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    it could've been the construction of the building that AT&Ts signal couldn't penetrate.
    Yep I'm sure that was it.....but I could see decent Verizon signal, so roaming would have been nice. IF there were ever a first Responder event there, it would be an issue. So, I wonder if firstnet roaming will ever come to....

Device(s)
    Samsung Avant, Nexus 5X, Moto G
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, Project Fi, PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    Yep I'm sure that was it.....but I could see decent Verizon signal, so roaming would have been nice. IF there were ever a first Responder event there, it would be an issue. So, I wonder if firstnet roaming will ever come to....
    When it comes to other carriers roaming them, AT&T is very "proud of" their signal. I'm sure any carriers AT&T roams would be equally "proud of" their signals. Could become non-cost-effective.
    Donald Newcomb

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S8 Active
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by DRNewcomb View Post
    When it comes to other carriers roaming them, AT&T is very "proud of" their signal. I'm sure any carriers AT&T roams would be equally "proud of" their signals. Could become non-cost-effective.
    Yeah, not cost effective to let everyone start roaming on all 3 other networks. But, what about just firstnet accounts? Allowing only them to roam. There would have to be an incentive (maybe government issued?) for the other 3 to allow/agree to it.

Device(s)
    iPhone X🅂, Galaxy S8, iPad mini 4
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T, Verizon, T-Mobile, US Cellular
    Feedback Score
    Yeah, not cost effective to let everyone start roaming on all 3 other networks. But, what about just firstnet accounts? Allowing only them to roam. There would have to be an incentive (maybe government issued?) for the other 3 to allow/agree to it.

The government incentive is for AT&T to build out and maintain FirstNet’s network in areas that currently have limited or no service. Roaming partnerships aren’t part of the deal. While it may sound nice, the reality is that AT&T is trying to cover as many square miles possible, which is doable. It takes time to build out a high-quality network.
    -Bentley

5-carrier aggregation with LAA (4+46+46+46+66) in Oklahoma City, OK on AT&T's commercial network

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
    -Albert Einstein

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S8 Active
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by BentleyBeard View Post
    The government incentive is for AT&T to build out and maintain FirstNet’s network in areas that currently have limited or no service. Roaming partnerships aren’t part of the deal. While it may sound nice, the reality is that AT&T is trying to cover as many square miles possible, which is doable. It takes time to build out a high-quality network.
    So that roaming mentioned in that 2012 article was a thought that will never be?

Feedback Score
    A few things. I came across this article regarding “Emergency calls only” https://www.scienceabc.com/innovatio...-coverage.html

Also a thread regarding FirstNet SIM verses consumer AT&T SIM. https://www.howardforums.com/showthr...0#post17035540

Also I remember when Hurricane Sandy hit AT&T and T-Mobile enabled roaming onto each other due to down towers, so I assume that during an emergency and post disaster recovery this could take place regardless of whether or not Firstnet was in the picture. https://www.connectmedia.co.ke/att-t...nable-roaming/

Device(s)
    iPhone X🅂, Galaxy S8, iPad mini 4
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T, Verizon, T-Mobile, US Cellular
    Feedback Score
    So that roaming mentioned in that 2012 article was a thought that will never be?

Since FN is aiming to cover the most ground out of any carrier, it’s not likely.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast