Thread: Three UK Sim From Italy Calling To US

Device(s)
    Huawei Mate SE, iPhone 6s+
    Carrier(s)
    Cricket, Tracfone, Lyca, Truphone, FreeUp
    Feedback Score

Three UK Sim From Italy Calling To US

I've got a relative going to Italy for a week that wants to have data on their phone for google maps and tourist related activity. I have a "3" UK sim I plan to send with them.

They will use apps (GV, FB, etc.) if they want to communicate back to the US but would like to know how much it will cost if they call from the phone. Three's website says £1.40 per minute from Italy to the US but I see an Ebay Auction that says calls back to the US from the EU are 3p. As bad as the website is I'm hoping it's wrong. Anybody know?

Also, in a previous thread it was mentioned that internet speeds were 3g max when roaming and actually 2g in Italy. On Three's website Italy map shows 4g in major areas. Anybody know on this too?

Thanks

Device(s)
    nexus and RIP Motorola flip phone
    Carrier(s)
    T -Mobile ATT
    Feedback Score
    Make sure they do not send text with photos , that is very expensive on Three if you are not in the UK
    Wanted: old barnfind VWs and Sports cars ,
    save them from the crusher , I have had my tetanus shots so rust does not scare me ,
    anything considered even parts cars

Carrier(s)
    VZW - Work / T-Mobile (iPhone)
    Feedback Score
    The Three roaming changed a little this past year or so. It used to be Roam Like Home and now is called Go Roam, which splits countries between Go Roam Europe and Go Roam Around the World.

The net implication of that is to follow the EU roaming rules, but not extend that full benefit to the non-European countries. It isn’t 100% clear to me if calling to a non-European number was ever 3p, but it really seems that calling to anywhere outside the UK or Europe is £1.40 now.

Of course as you note above, GoogleVoice and other app based calling are data usage only (dont forget to tell them to add “+1” to the US phone numbers they dial from GoogleVoice).

As far as connectivity, they will get at least “3G” most everywhere, but they may not get LTE. I’ve not tried my Three SIM in Europe yet, but used a German SIM in Spain and Italy last year and only got 3G. That said, the 3G was just fine — typically 5+ Mbps, though I was primarily in large cities. I had a Verizon phone with the Travel Pass too, and there was only a little noticeable difference in the performance. For the price difference (15 Euros for the prepaid SIM vs $10/day for Verizon), I would have taken the European SIM!

Though you didn’t ask, Three also provides an add-on pack for £10 that provides 2GB of data and some calling. That is probably the better deal if they could exceed 1GB of data and would make some local calls. Remember, calling Europe isn’t free on GoogleVoice.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Thanks for the responses. So I'll tell them to be sure not to use the native phone apps for calling or texting the US. I know about +1 for GV calling to the US but don't know if they will have to use Italy country code if they make local calls? I did see the 2gb/5gb/etc. add on plans and will probably add one for them. Thanks

Carrier(s)
    VZW - Work / T-Mobile (iPhone)
    Feedback Score
    They will likely need the +<country code> for dialing anywhere. Once you put the SIM in the phone and set the APN, all cell data runs through a UK server. So it doesn’t matter where the phone is physically located, GoogleVoice sees it as coming from the UK. Of course on Wi-Fi, GoogleVoice sees the IP address of the local country, so you get some strange differences there.

So it is best to always dial +<country code><number> from anywhere. It won’t cost anymore to do so, and my company actually shows all of our contact info as +1xxx-yyy-zzzz internally so when I add people in Outlook it populates that way onto my two iPhones. I make calls to those people all of the time from my personal and work phones (including with GoogleVoice) and it had never triggered a charge.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by high technology View Post
    ...So it is best to always dial +<country code><number> from anywhere....
    Thanks for the detailed info, makes sense. Cheers

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by naranja View Post
    Thanks for the responses. So I'll tell them to be sure not to use the native phone apps for calling or texting the US. I know about +1 for GV calling to the US but don't know if they will have to use Italy country code if they make local calls? I did see the 2gb/5gb/etc. add on plans and will probably add one for them. Thanks
    Making calls to an Italian number while in Italy would be an international call from GV perspective. You will need to deposit some balance to the GV account to do that. The rates for Italy calls range from 1 to 22 cents per minute depending on the type of number called.