Thread: When CDMA shuts down, will CDMA roaming go with it immediately?

Device(s)
    iPhone 6s
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon, Sprint, AT&T, T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars

When CDMA shuts down, will CDMA roaming go with it immediately?

When Verizon turns off their CDMA network, will all the CDMA roaming with carriers like US Cellular go away immediately, or will they slowly fade out after the Verizon shutdown?

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by vanko987 View Post
    When Verizon turns off their CDMA network, will all the CDMA roaming with carriers like US Cellular go away immediately, or will they slowly fade out after the Verizon shutdown?
    Other carriers have nothing to do with VZW. Other than needing LTE roaming which uscc has on Sprint

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

Device(s)
    iPhone 6s
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by thotguy31 View Post
    Other carriers have nothing to do with VZW. Other than needing LTE roaming which uscc has on Sprint

I was asking more if Verizon customers would still be able to roam on other carrier’s CDMA networks, even when our own CDMA network shuts down. Sorry if my wording was confusing.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    I was asking more if Verizon customers would still be able to roam on other carrier’s CDMA networks, even when our own CDMA network shuts down. Sorry if my wording was confusing.
    Oh got ya. Vzw does roam ontos Sprints. Onto uscc that I don't know. VZW has so much LTE that I'm sure they will fill them into to match CDMA before shutting it down. CDMA is Dieing. That's why cspire is against the Sprint TMobile merger cause at some point Sprint CDMA will be shut down. TMO said 1x800 will stay for 3 years or so while the PCS part will be all LTE. Cspire doesn't wanna do VoLTE for some dumb reason leaving them as the only one without it. Hope Sprint can force it.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    2G networks are dying. For now GSM (AT&T), follows shortly CDMA (Verizon)... the rest of networks will follow, the technology doesn't wait.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by SoNic67 View Post
    2G networks are dying. For now GSM (AT&T), follows shortly CDMA (Verizon)... the rest of networks will follow, the technology doesn't wait.
    I think Tmobiles 2G shutdown is on 2020. However that doesn't mean they can move the spectrum over to LTE as some of it is still on HSPA+

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    I’m also wondering if we’ll continue to Roam on other carriers CDMA or not. I hate to see the CDMA go bc 4G LTE does provide as much coverage in my rural area of W Kentucky so oftentimes my phone will say 3G or 1X and though the data may be too slow to do much if anything I can still send texts and make voice calls. Beats having no coverage at all.

Redwood Valley,NorCal/but SoCal Born and Raised/Pocatello,ID
    Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S10+, LG V40 ThinQ, Samsung Gear S3 Frontier(VZ LTE)
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Oh got ya. VZ does roam onto Sprint's. Onto USCC, that I don't know.
    They do indeed roam onto USCC's, up here (Mendocino, Lake Counties-rural Northwest CA), Verizon and USCC both roam in-market onto each other where needed. They will roam anywhere else onto USCC where needed. USCC usually keeps the older tech on longer than the big guys, like TDMA and AMPS, at one time up here, USCC was running CDMA, TDMA and AMPS and two different SID's (one for AMPS and TDMA, the other for CDMA) concurrently.

Device(s)
    HTC MyTouch 3G
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint PCS
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    ... VZW has so much LTE that I'm sure they will fill them into to match CDMA before shutting it down. ...
    I hope so, but definitely not true now... Here in Upstate NY, dropping calls on VZW VoLTE daily. I often have to switch back to CDMA to be able to make a call. Many local VZW friends report the same. Even worse within buildings, switching back to CDMA mandatory to get any VZW service.

Device(s)
    iPhone 6s
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by ilvla2 View Post
    They do indeed roam onto USCC's, up here (Mendocino, Lake Counties-rural Northwest CA), Verizon and USCC both roam in-market onto each other where needed. They will roam anywhere else onto USCC where needed. USCC usually keeps the older tech on longer than the big guys, like TDMA and AMPS, at one time up here, USCC was running CDMA, TDMA and AMPS and two different SID's (one for AMPS and TDMA, the other for CDMA) concurrently.
    That’s what I was thinking since USCC usually keeps things on longer. We also have a lot of USCC in the PNW and I’m wondering if they’ll keep the agreement in place for us to roam on USCC CDMA even after the Verizon CDMA shutdown. We get USCC 3G roaming up here so I can sometimes get about 2mbps down on it

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    I get no LTE inside the hospital I work in but get at least 2 bars when on 3G. I’m really going to miss the 3G, it’s always there when the LTE isn’t!

Device(s)
    N/A
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless;
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    I found this table for the "big 4" via google, from multitech.com, and added the sprint shutdown from another source...:
    AT&T:
    Dec. 31 2016: 2G network sunset
    Dec. 31 2018: Last day to add 3G-HSPA+ device
    Dec. 31 2021: 3G network sunset
    Dec. 31 2027: LTE is guaranteed until at least then.

Sprint:
    April 30 2019: Last day to active 2G/3G/Wimax device.
    Dec. 31 2021: 2G network sunset.
    Dec. 31 2022: 3G network sunset.

T-Mobile:
    Dec. 31 2020: 2G network sunset

Verizon:
    Dec. 30 2018: Last day to add 2G/3G devices.
    Dec. 31 2019: 2G & 3G sunset
    CDMA's time is definitely numbered. I don't know about the roaming though; when the analog shutdown was in progress, VZW left analog roaming in the PRL (preferred roaming list) for various networks untill WELL after the analog had been shuttered, they didn't pull any potential roaming early. That would suggest they'd leave it in. On the other hand, analog and CDMA were using the same billing system, while VoLTE and CDMA/EVDO have totally seperate backends; on the third hand, if they are running minimal CDMA for some enterprise customers until end of 2022, then they would have to keep some this backend anyway.

In general, if you look at Verizon's coverage maps for 2G/3G/4G devices and compare to VoLTE/LTE only devices, it appears that VZW is picking up VoLTE roaming agreements with GSM/HSPA/UMTS carriers that were previously incompatible but now are compatible via LTE and VoLTE. Some of the ares that show 3G, 1x, or no service on the regular coverage map show a solid area of LTE coverage on the LTE-only device map.

Redwood Valley,NorCal/but SoCal Born and Raised/Pocatello,ID
    Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S10+, LG V40 ThinQ, Samsung Gear S3 Frontier(VZ LTE)
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    That’s what I was thinking since USCC usually keeps things on longer. We also have a lot of USCC in the PNW and I’m wondering if they’ll keep the agreement in place for us to roam on USCC CDMA even after the Verizon CDMA shutdown. We get USCC 3G roaming up here so I can sometimes get about 2mbps down on it

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Up here, too. Sprint doesn't have a network up here in Mendocino County, and only one, tiny site in Lake County (Lakeport), Sprint roams on USCC for service here, so for the most part, they're a non issue for us.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by hwertz View Post
    I found this table for the "big 4" via google, from multitech.com, and added the sprint shutdown from another source...:

CDMA's time is definitely numbered. I don't know about the roaming though; when the analog shutdown was in progress, VZW left analog roaming in the PRL (preferred roaming list) for various networks untill WELL after the analog had been shuttered, they didn't pull any potential roaming early. That would suggest they'd leave it in. On the other hand, analog and CDMA were using the same billing system, while VoLTE and CDMA/EVDO have totally seperate backends; on the third hand, if they are running minimal CDMA for some enterprise customers until end of 2022, then they would have to keep some this backend anyway.

In general, if you look at Verizon's coverage maps for 2G/3G/4G devices and compare to VoLTE/LTE only devices, it appears that VZW is picking up VoLTE roaming agreements with GSM/HSPA/UMTS carriers that were previously incompatible but now are compatible via LTE and VoLTE. Some of the ares that show 3G, 1x, or no service on the regular coverage map show a solid area of LTE coverage on the LTE-only device map.
    Very interesting, thanks for sharing!!!

Sent from my iPhone using HoFo