Thread: MVNO Throttling

Carrier(s)
    Freedom Mobile
    Feedback Score

MVNO Throttling

I'm sure this has been posted before so I apologize if I'm creating a new thread when I shouldn't be. I was wondering what the general consensus is on MNVOs data speeds. Not from the MVNO throttling itself but from the MNO, is it a given that MVNO speeds will be reduced to make way for the MNOs traffic?

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by BCoa View Post
    I'm sure this has been posted before so I apologize if I'm creating a new thread when I shouldn't be. I was wondering what the general consensus is on MNVOs data speeds. Not from the MVNO throttling itself but from the MNO, is it a given that MVNO speeds will be reduced to make way for the MNOs traffic?
    I think you're talking about deprioritization for MVNO customers?

From everything I've read, yes, that happens.

However, I've only personally experienced it rarely, and only when traveling to densely populated areas, so it obviously has a LOT to do with location.

I spend most of my time on the outskirts of a medium sized metro area that has nowhere near the population density as some of the really big cities, so I think that's why it doesn't affect me much.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by BCoa View Post
    There are a couple that I know of that explicitly throttle. Cricket* is throttled to 8 Mbps. Freedompop using Sprint is throttled to 1 Mbps. 8 Mbps is still plenty to do what needs to be done unless one is trying to stream 4K video.

Deprioritization of MVNOs is a different story. It can happen at times and places. I use AT&T, Verizon, and Sprint MVNOs. They perform adequately almost all of the time. On a couple of occasions I got really bad data speed from Verizon when I was near the University at prime evening hours. Don't know if postpaid was getting better speed or if everyone was suffering from congestion. I have not noticed any difference between my AT&T MVNO phone and my AT&T postpaid hotspot.

*Cricket is a brand of AT&T not a MVNO.

Device(s)
    Motorola G4 Plus, Samsung Galaxy S8 Active
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bobdevnul View Post
    There are a couple that I know of that explicitly throttle. Cricket* is throttled to 8 Mbps. Freedompop using Sprint is throttled to 1 Mbps. 8 Mbps is still plenty to do what needs to be done unless one is trying to stream 4K video.

Deprioritization of MVNOs is a different story. It can happen at times and places. I use AT&T, Verizon, and Sprint MVNOs. They perform adequately almost all of the time. On a couple of occasions I got really bad data speed from Verizon when I was near the University at prime evening hours. Don't know if postpaid was getting better speed or if everyone was suffering from congestion. I have not noticed any difference between my AT&T MVNO phone and my AT&T postpaid hotspot.

*Cricket is a brand of AT&T not a MVNO.
    I'd like to point out that not all Cricket Wireless plans are throttled. Cricket sells an unlimited LTE data plan with full speed LTE data. There is one other AT&T based provider with throttled speeds. H2O Wireless limits data speeds to 8Mbps.

Device(s)
    Moto G6 Play
    Carrier(s)
    Red Pocket (AT&T)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by MVNO Joe View Post
    H2O Wireless limits data speeds to 8Mbps.
    I would regularly see 30+ Mbps on H2o even though their TOS spelled out an 8 Mbps limit. I guess it depends on the area.

Device(s)
    Motorola G4 Plus, Samsung Galaxy S8 Active
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Digital Rules View Post
    I would regularly see 30+ Mbps on H2o even though their TOS spelled out an 8 Mbps limit. I guess it depends on the area.
    Curious, do you still have H2O Wireless? The speed limit was put in place a little over a year and a half ago.

Device(s)
    Moto G6 Play
    Carrier(s)
    Red Pocket (AT&T)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by MVNO Joe View Post
    Curious, do you still have H2O Wireless? The speed limit was put in place a little over a year and a half ago.
    Using Red Pocket GSMA now, but had H2o for a few months after they advertised the 8 Mbps speed cap. There was no change in speed after the announcement.

Carrier(s)
    VZW - Work / T-Mobile (iPhone)
    Feedback Score
    I did a one month trial of H2O late 2018 and on repeatedly only got 8Mbps.

Perhaps that is because I was a new subscriber and the rest of you were existing???