Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: First wifi call with GV earns 5 stars

Carrier(s)
    H2O paygo
    Feedback Score

First wifi call with GV earns 5 stars

Just to see how it sounds, I changed my GV to wifi calling and the first call sounded even better than using the cell tower. Maybe that's because I'm sitting 10 feet away from the wireless router. I'm curious to see how it sounds when I'm away from wifi using carrier (PureTalk) data.

Just because other member says it's possible, I ordered a FreedomPop SIM card and I'm going to give the free plan a spin. Since I'm connected to wifi most of the day and night, I'm thinking those 200MB of data might be enough.
    My smartphone is a lot smarter than I am.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Relztrah View Post
    Just to see how it sounds, I changed my GV to wifi calling and the first call sounded even better than using the cell tower. Maybe that's because I'm sitting 10 feet away from the wireless router. I'm curious to see how it sounds when I'm away from wifi using carrier (PureTalk) data.

Just because other member says it's possible, I ordered a FreedomPop SIM card and I'm going to give the free plan a spin. Since I'm connected to wifi most of the day and night, I'm thinking those 200MB of data might be enough.
    My GV app is still not enabled. 200 MB of data should get you about 200 minutes of calling. My experience on mobile data has been poor, especially when mobile and moving.

It would be interesting to hear about what the audio delay latency is with GV app data calling. It is pretty bad with Hangouts, though the audio quality can be quite good.

Feedback Score
    Why are some people so infatuated with VoIP calling, aren't pretty much all cell plans unlimited (real cellular) calling?

Sent from my K88 using HoFo mobile app

Device(s)
    Tin cans and a string
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    ^^It's something new/different. Given the choice, i'd take my wired headset/wired voip set up over any cellphone/wifi calling.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by sharp99 View Post
    Why are some people so infatuated with VoIP calling, aren't pretty much all cell plans unlimited (real cellular) calling?
    Not all plans have unlimited minutes. Not all carriers have reliable signal in key places, like home and office.

I use Hangouts now for free VOIP calls to home from hotels to not burn my Tracfone minutes.

Carrier(s)
    FirstNet, Verizon via RedPocket, Alachua County CCC via APCO25
    Feedback Score
    There are three or four places where I routinely go which have no cellular coverage from any carrier, but good WiFi. I'm on FirstNet which doesn't have WiFi calling enabled yet. Google Voice is a niche product that fills that void nicely.

Device(s)
    Moto E (T-Mo); LG Fiesta 2 (PPC)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile Prepaid & Page Plus
    Feedback Score
    People with PAYGO service and places with inadequate cellular coverage. Getting your call onto any available internet helps.

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    Or people that like the ability to use their phone # from any device or computer.

Carrier(s)
    H2O paygo
    Feedback Score
    The major benefit for me is at my workplace where we have thick walls and ceiling (a former school) and I've had poor reception inside the building. With wifi calling I won't miss any calls.

Feedback Score

Sent from my K88 using HoFo mobile app
    Spent 2 weeks in Europe last summer. Got a local SIM (10gb for under $20...so jealous). With google voice/hangouts I had a fully functioning phone that people back home could call/text me at anytime. It was no different than if I were two miles from my house.

Carrier(s)
    H2O paygo
    Feedback Score
    Over the weekend I changed to a paygo plan thinking that calls made over wifi are free from carrier charges, and learned that even when connected to wifi, minutes are deducted from my plan.

Name:  GV wifi call charge.png
Views: 179
Size:  33.5 KB

I naively thought that I somehow calls would be free when I am connected to wifi and the Prefer Wifi radio button is selected. Oh, well. Now I know what this notice means:

Name:  GV wifi calls.jpg
Views: 178
Size:  28.9 KB

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Relztrah View Post
    Over the weekend I changed to a paygo plan thinking that calls made over wifi are free from carrier charges, and learned that even when connected to wifi, minutes are deducted from my plan.
    Use the dialer in the GV app.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Yeah, what bobdevnul says. There's something you're not doing right, and that's probably it. You have to do more than just be connected to Wi-Fi and have things installed. In the GV app at the bottom of the screen, select Calls (where you see Calls, Contacts, Messages, and Voicemail - which are now icons instead of text) and hit the floating dialer icon on the lower right and you'll be where you need to be.

Carrier(s)
    H2O paygo
    Feedback Score
    Thanks for the input. OK, so I can't call out by tapping a contact? I need to manually enter the number? I noticed that after I entered the first few digits of my wife's number, her name popped, so maybe it won't be necessary to enter all 10 digits. And I'm trusting that I can also copy the number from my contact, paste into the dialer and tap the handset icon to dial out using the dialer. I'll see how it goes. Thanks again.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    I think you should first try accessing the contacts from the GV contacts list, in the app. That might make the difference. And report back.

Between this thread and the other one in this sub-forum about this topic, a lot of things are getting aired out, which is one of the things that HoFo is great for.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast