Thread: Anyone have luck with iPhone 6 battery replacement from other than Apple direct?

Feedback Score

Anyone have luck with iPhone 6 battery replacement from other than Apple direct?

I'm aware of the E-Bay and Amazon scammers just relabeling batteries,
    as well as reputable places like I-Fix-It that have batteries they say right up front won't work with health mete.

My curiosity is there are a few e-bay sellers that claim OEM batteries, 15 bucks or so.
    All information says no one except Apple has actual off the assembly line Apple batteries,
    but these seem to have all the correct markings, individual serial numbers.

Q- Has anyone had luck with online self replace batteries? what source?

Being it as iPhone 6 I would think at some point, Apple would need less of these so some aftermarket
    liquidation of unneeded inventory would reasonably take place?

I blew it by not getting $29 battery before December was up, did not know t was ending.
    (I assume their is no grace period)

I can easily make the swap,done a few screen changes, just not sure if trying to save the $35 is worth the risk.

My current battery that came with the phone is showing 82% on health meter.
    It worked great and lasted all day until I installed a app that talked to my pellet smoker, after that it drained WAY faster, deleted app, restarted various times, still fast drain now.
    Ugh'

Thought I might pop new battery in, but to spend $50 and still have fast drain, I would just consider
    getting new phone as this one has had a long run for me and still would be a good travel phone so I don't care if it got stolen.

Thanks!!!

Device(s)
    iPhone 6S
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Prepaid
    Feedback Score
    I used a battery pack I bought from iTune store, it works great too..

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Donkey View Post
    I used a battery pack I bought from iTune store, it works great too..
    Thanks, I have one of those, they are great for some situations. I'm interested in the internal battery lasting as long as it used to.

Feedback Score
    Assuming the phone hasn't been fiddled with before, an Apple battery replacement for the 6 is still just $49, only 20 bucks more than the special deal. Genuine battery, trained tech, guaranteed work.

If something goes wrong with the repair, which is a possibility, or if it doesn't function properly afterward, they'll likely just swap it out with a white box refurb, which is most cases will be in better condition that the existing one.

I'm sure you're aware that Apple won't touch any phone that has been serviced by non-Apple personnel, or with non-Apple parts, with the proverbial ten foot pole. Though unlikely at this stage of the model's life, if an issue were to prompt a repair campaign, they won't repair it, even for an unrelated component.

To me, whatever DIY cost savings there may be don't outweigh the potential benefits (and preservation thereof) of just letting Apple do the battery replacement.

Feedback Score
    Thanks, !
    Good points, I was reminded by your post that I had replaced the screen previously with a non OEM part
    It was supposed to be a Apple take off from dead phone, but seller sent me a generic.

I was traveling for summer in rural areas, so they just credited me back and let me keep the screen for the mixup.

I suppose if I went to my local Apple store after making battery replacement appointment, they might just hand it back and say, "sorry, we can't do the new battery"

I agree with all your well considered points on value $49 VS unknowns. Right now I've deleted and reinstalled a couple apps that showed abnormal usage,compared to what I was used to seeing with unchanged habits, in battery percentage.

If Apple won't touch it in this scenario, I might just throw the 15$ at the "claimed" to be OEM and see how it goes.
    I'm still on 12.0 so I might have a go at installing 12.4 for the heck of it as well.

When I installed that Green Mountain Grills app, it was like night and day, my battery would tank in 2-3 hours of normal usage, where before that app I was good for 6-8 hours out and about.

So I uninstalled it and it did not help.A few restarts and it "seemed" to be a bit better, but I started taking my battery case everywhere after that.

My gut feeling is it goofed stuff up, maybe a iOs update will rearrange a few things? it's an old phone so it won't last forever.

Thanks for the ideas !!!

Feedback Score
    Apple tech told me that all Best Buy stores are authorized certified To change iPhone batteries.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by cycledude View Post
    Apple tech told me that all Best Buy stores are authorized certified To change iPhone batteries.
    Good catch!!
    Just looked on Geek Squad site and they are an authorized service center, same price.
    Better than scheduling at Apple store, simple replacement, not a real technical job.
    Thanks

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by cycledude View Post
    That's not true according to Best Buy's Geek Squad site. Only select Best Buy stores can perform iPhone repairs. We have many Best Buy stores throughout Kansas, and none are listed as authorized to do iPhone repairs.

Feedback Score
    So I decided to order battery from E-Bay seller, I just kinda got a curiosity bug up my behind, as I have bought supposed OEM "100% genuine" cords in the past, that were clearly fake when received.
    For $15 I just had to check it out.

Gotta say, it looks legit, I opened my phone and the markings are identical, the serial number is on the battery and matches whats on the box label.The MFG date is 2-2018.
    It came with new adhesive tape, even though the auction did not mention it. I was thinking before it showed up that it would be weird for Apple to not include it as it's needed, and low an behold, it was in there.

I'm still on the fence about having the $49 repair done, but I think next I'll just attach the new one with the old one still installed and see what health meter says, just curious. Then I might just swap them.

I'm at %80 on my old one, and I was able to do remote health check from Apple chat, an they said everything looks good other than battery is getting older, but still meets "good" I think %79 is when they say replace?

No biggie, I'll have a spare if I spend the $49, or I can fix a friends when I'm on the road all summer, I work with plenty of people that still have iPhone 6. It's an easy swap.

Feedback Score
    Tried the new battery as a temp attachment, it did not have enough power to even turn on charge cord icon.
    I thought off the shelf LiPo of less than a year old would have %60-%70 storage charge no problem, that's how the batteries for
    my RC planes are when I buy them.

Put cord on, after power-up it showed %17
    No battery health indication, just spinning circle.

Tried hard restart, and a power off and hold home button while attaching to PC, then a hard restart,
    still no health data.
    Not a lot of web content on solution to health percentage not showing.
    Other than some sellers like i-fix-it say their generic batteries won't show health info. Expected from non OEM battery

The charge level showed just fine, just not the health an the part that says performing OK.
    No warning either, just nothing.

So I reconnected my existing battery and health info was back.

My gut says it is a very well disguised counterfeit or repackaged original.
    Not having any start up power right out of the box is a bad sign from my other experiences.
    I did not wait for a full charge to 100% just did a quick 5 minute test, so maybe there is something I am missing,
    But that was enough for me. I'll request return if they don't have a clear and reasonable answer why I should trust that it is OEM as promised, and a path to seeing health status shown.

I'l give the seller a chance to speak to the issue, but I'm going to just set up genius bar replacement for this week and be done with it.

Update:
    Got snowed in so messed with it some more,
    I found a PC software called 3uTools , loaded it and checked my stock battery,
    it showed 700 charge cycles, 79% capacity 1380 mHa, the date was 7-13-2016 I think I got the phone in late August so that makes sense.

I connected new battery back onto board and ran 3uTools it showed zero charge cycles, and 100% capacity, 1810 mHa or thereabouts.
    The date matched the label, the manufacturer was the same, HUAPU , I don't recognize that name, might be generic in some way.

But I'm rethinking if it might be a glitch, since I did find posts from people that had no health status even with some Apple store replacements. So who knows, maybe this is a good battery. I don't care really about the native health meter because assuming it holds a charge, it will last as long as I plane to run an old iPhone 6.
    I did not find any decisive fix for that symptom, some people said it never worked again, other said after a charge cycle it worked, others a restore, and someone else said Apple gave them a refurbished phone when it would not work after 2 battery replacements.

I'm just happy when I plugged it into this 3utools software I just learned about, that it did not say %60 and 900 charges.
    Of course someone smarter than me might have a way of resetting the values on the battery board but that seems like a lot of work for a $10-15 battery.

Checked both my iPads and they show batteries at %100 even though they are 2 years old. But I only use them during the summer when flying so not much use.

-cool story bro-

last update:
    at %75 charge I looked again, and now all the health status is showing. %100 same as software said
    So now it's time to make the swap permanent, I am satisfied it's the real deal factory battery.
    My only lingering concern is how low voltage was it was upon arrival, but I'm not gonna sweat it.
    Last edited by mightynimbus; 02-17-2019 at 04:53 PM.

Feedback Score
    Link to the Ebay seller? My buddy needs a 6s battery

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by boherez View Post
    Link to the Ebay seller? My buddy needs a 6s battery
    https://www.ebay.com/usr/pmg_distributors

They only show battery for 6 , I don't know if that is same as 6s.
    You coul message them, I had some questions before buying due to skepticism on OEM batteries,
    they answered all 3 e-mails in a couple hours with honest and complete answers.

Good thing I bought adhesive tapes elsewhere not knowing the battery came with one.
    I goobered up the first one with a dumb mistake.

The swap
    The battery was feisty getting it out, I preheated the back to soften tapes, but the snapped off right away when I was pulling them out. I read that preheating can make tape brittle, but elsewhere people say heating makes it easier, I dunno.

I did not want to go Neanderthal on it to get it out, adhesive is strong stuff, (too strong for what it does)
    I tried dental floss, under the back, it tore.

So I bought a pack of little 9" steel fishing leaders, they have loop on each end. $1.97 for a pack of them at Walmart.
    perfect size to slip under battery end, and stuff screwdriver through loops, and pull against a counter stop with one hand, hold end with other, a little wiggling and it came off easy.
    For second effort I removed screen, I skipped that on first attempt as I was hoping tapes would pull out clean.
    I little assist with a plastic blade to keep it from resticking as wire went by.

I suppose a guitar string would work too, but the eyelets built in made it a simple plan.

Total job 40 minutes counting first fail.
    Name:  IMG_0042.jpg
Views: 61
Size:  48.0 KB
    Name:  IMG_0040.jpg
Views: 61
Size:  47.4 KB