Thread: Turn off Play Store update search

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars

Turn off Play Store update search

Is there any way to stop Play Store from searching for available updates both over data and wifi ?
    Seems it sucks allot (by my standards) of data sometime, just to tell be updates are available. I'd rather just search for updates when I want to; not have it do it on it's on. Possible?

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by rpz1 View Post
    Is there any way to stop Play Store from searching for available updates both over data and wifi ?
    Seems it sucks allot (by my standards) of data sometime, just to tell be updates are available. I'd rather just search for updates when I want to; not have it do it on it's on. Possible?
    In the Play Store app touch the menu spot at the upper left.

Touch Settings.

Touch Notifications, then turn off all of the notifications.

Touch Back.

Touch App download preference, then touch Over Wifi only. Touch Done.

Touch Auto-update apps, then touch Don't auto-update apps. Touch Done.

That's it.

After doing this you will have to update your apps by touching the menu spot in the Play Store app and select My apps and games. That will bring up a list of your apps that have updates available. I only check mine about once a month.

I have not found any way to stop Instant apps from updating. I don't know if they obey the Wifi only setting.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by bobdevnul View Post
    Touch Notifications, then turn off all of the notifications.

Touch Back.

Touch App download preference, then touch Over Wifi only. Touch Done.

Touch Auto-update apps, then touch Don't auto-update apps. Touch Done.
    That is my setup except I had "notifications" on. I really don't want the app update searches over wifi either unless I chose to. Will turning off the notifications stop it from doing the available updates search over both data and wifi even with "over wifi only" turned on ? I only do actual updates over wifi, just don't want the Play Store doing the auto search thing for available updates. Reason being I use a wifi hotspot and that eats the precious data up on my plan for that. Thanks.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by rpz1 View Post
    That is my setup except I had "notifications" on. I really don't want the app update searches over wifi either unless I chose to. Will turning off the notifications stop it from doing the available updates search over both data and wifi even with "over wifi only" turned on ? I only do actual updates over wifi, just don't want the Play Store doing the auto search thing for available updates. Reason being I use a wifi hotspot and that eats the precious data up on my plan for that. Thanks.
    I don't see any way to stop Play Store from checking for updates. Notifications off just stops telling you about what's new.

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by bobdevnul View Post
    I don't see any way to stop Play Store from checking for updates. Notifications off just stops telling you about what's new.
    Thanks. Wonder if I set the wifi only setting to "ask me first" instead, if that would work ? May give that a try.