Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13

Thread: Does AT&T Still block VoLTE and wifi calling on unlocked Android devices?

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S10e
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by veriztd View Post
    All carriers don't allow all devices to automatically work on their system unless they have been fully evaluated by the carrier (locked or unlocked).
    You make it sound like At&t is the only carrier who doesn't allow all phones on their network.
    No, I stated a fact, I hbought both a factory unlocked, unbranded Samsung devices (S9+ and S10e). Both do not support basic VoLTE and Wifi calling.
    Both of these devices work flawlessly on T-Mobile and Verizon. I've tested it. I know.

Been off HoFo for a few years......
    Last edited by veriztd; 01-01-2020 at 01:53 PM. Reason: irrelevant comments removed

Carrier(s)
    TMobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by MTS2000 View Post
    No, I stated a fact, I hbought both a factory unlocked, unbranded Samsung devices (S9+ and S10e). Both do not support basic VoLTE and Wifi calling.
    Both of these devices work flawlessly on T-Mobile and Verizon. I've tested it. I know.

Been off HoFo for a few years.....
    You got that right.

Everything you stated was accurate
    Last edited by veriztd; 01-01-2020 at 02:14 PM. Reason: Irrelevant comments removed from quoted post

Device(s)
    Blackberry Bold 9000
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    I and my family have been Bellsouth mobility/ATT wireless customers since the mid 1990s. Several members of my family have ATT locked iphones and do get wifi calling on our mobile share value plan. I use a factory unlocked Blackberry BBB 100-1 and of course it does not get wifi calling on ATT and based on history I am assuming it never will. I am exploring the options of Google Fi or T-mobile. While T-mobile offers a 30 day hotspot to try their service I wanted to make sure my phone would have wifi calling. Moreover, I want to be able to drive around while I am on a call and see if the calls drop. Of course, I can't do this readily with the hotspot. So, I ordered a Google Fi sim to try and compare coverage to my ATT service. The sim was free and on the flexible plan the cost is $20 per month for unlimited voice and texting. I couldn't initially get wifi calling to work but I installed Google Hangouts and then Google Hangouts Dialer, and then placed a call using Google Hangouts Dialer. When the call initiated, a message on screen stated that the call was via Google Fi. I then uninstalled Google Hangouts and Google Hangouts Dialer and wifi calling with Google Fi has been working fine ever since. Now to test the coverage and compare to ATT in my area over the next month or so. I do like having wifi calling.

Device(s)
    iPhone 11 Pro Max Series 4 Apple Watch
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    They can't just substitute an IMEI from another phone (if I understand your question) in the billing service to make it work. The phone IMEI is automatically broadcasted to the billing system every time the phone makes/receives a call. Even if they tried to do so it would be a violation of company policy and get result in dismissal for entering false information in the billing system. If I still was a CS rep for any wireless carrier I wouldn't risk my job.
    I used to ask ATT reps to manually change the IMEI whenever using an unlocked iPhone from Verizon on their network. I literally would get an IMEI from a demo iPhone at my local ATT store to make this happen.

Prior to 2017 I had numerous problems getting LTE, hotspot or VoLTE to work properly otherwise. ATT tech support would simply claim they wouldn’t offer me technical support for those iPhones because technically I didn’t buy them from them ( which was a bummer).
    “The Internet wasn’t meant to be metered in bits and bytes, so it’s insane that wireless companies are still making you buy it this way. The rate plan is dead — it’s a fossil from a time when wireless was metered by every call or text.” John Legere 1/5/2017

Device(s)
    iPhone X, iPhone SE, iPhone 6s
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, RP
    Feedback Score
    For some reason ATT or Samsung plays games with the unlocked Samsung models. At some point, when you put in an ATT SIM into some Samsung unlocked phones, the carrier information will download, and allow it to work as well as the ATT branded model. But it doesn't seem to work on the "current" models.

Device(s)
    Note 10+
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    This is one of the primary reasons I ported out of First Net back to T-Mobile. Not being able to use a FACTORY (retail Samsung S10e) with VoLTE/WiFi calling, combined with poor coverage, are why I'll never deal with AT&T again.

They still can't provide a valid, logical reason why they intentionally block factory unlocked Android devices from fully functioning with VoLTE and WiFi calling (which is required as their in-building coverage is atrocious in many areas) other than to force consumers to buy their branded bloatware filled device and get the consumer locked into some carrier financing nonsense.
    You are taking about firstnet, not att. The unlocked s10s with an orange sim in it will switch over to Ts CSC, providing the proper IMS information and wifi calling software. Each carrier on android has their own software. There's a reason why firstnet is a little more strict with devices. If it is not first net certified, it will not work right.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S9+
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Enough of the carrier bashing and personal insults already. I have already edited a few posts to delete some of the off-topic comments. Keep this thread on track or it will be closed.

If anyone feels they have been insulted, report the thread instead of replying with another insult. Next time it happens, there will be some bans placed on members.

Enough said already.
    Don't make me turn this car around.....

Device(s)
    Moto X Pure Edition
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Enough of the carrier bashing and personal insults already. I have already edited a few posts to delete some of the off-topic comments. Keep this thread on track or it will be closed. Enough said already.

But...Moto G7 Power UNLOCKED...VoLTE activated and working...just to clear it up.

Device(s)
    LG V40 ThinQ
    Carrier(s)
    At&t
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by werinshades View Post
    But...Moto G7 Power UNLOCKED...VoLTE activated and working...just to clear it up.
    Yes VOLTE works. WIFI calling is still a no go.

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk

Device(s)
    Note9
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T, Google Fi, Mint
    Feedback Score
    I must disagree with your assertions about At&t not being friendly with unbranded devices as I have used more than a few unbranded devices on At&t with no issues.
    AT&T has been extremely unfriendly to unbranded devices, like the example MTS2000's post. There is absolutely no legitimate reason to block an unbranded version of a device they sell.

Quote Originally Posted by wilbur101 View Post
    Well said. Att's coverage is almost as bad as their unlocked non att branded phone policy.

Firstnet seems like a joke overall at least with att in the drivers seat
    I get that some people are in areas where Verizon has better coverage, but there are plenty of areas where AT&T has better coverage. Yes, Verizon's LTE network is a bit bigger than AT&T's, but AT&T's network overall is very good and I've found numerous places where AT&T works and Verizon doesn't. Also, why is a guy who has T-Mobile bashing AT&T's coverage? I get Verizon fanboys, Verizon does technically have the largest LTE network, and they do have a lot of areas where they have the best coverage, but coming from a T-Mobile user?

Feedback Score
    AT&T won't allow BYOD devices to do WIFI calling. Some devices will do VoLTE but not WiFi calling.

Sent from my iPad using HoFo

Device(s)
    Note9
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T, Google Fi, Mint
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Mandelstamm1 View Post
    AT&T won't allow BYOD devices to do WIFI calling. Some devices will do VoLTE but not WiFi calling.
    That's mostly true. The Pixel series seems to get BYOD Wi-Fi calling.

BTA-44: MTA-29: MSA-41: PEA-40: CMA-41: BEA-78: MEA-24
    Device(s)
    Galaxy S10+ (unlocked), Galaxy S8, LG K7, iPhone 6S, iPhone 6, iPhone 4S, iPhone 4, iPhone 3G
    Carrier(s)
    at&t
    Feedback Score
    Shouldn't all unlocked Androids have VoLTE as of the end of 2019?

Sent from my SM-G975U1 using HoFo mobile app
    AT&T Unlimited & More w/ 2 Lines
    AT&T TV w/ HBO

(\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

Device(s)
    Note9
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T, Google Fi, Mint
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by shortyd999 View Post
    Shouldn't all unlocked Androids have VoLTE as of the end of 2019?
    In theory, yes.

Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13