Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14

Thread: Does AT&T Still block VoLTE and wifi calling on unlocked Android devices?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by shenyi26 View Post
    Sharing an interesting finding. I have an unlocked android (huawei p30) with a used sim card (previously used with iPhone X). I don't see either HD Voice at the top or the option to toggle VoLTE in settings. But when I make a call and doing speedtest at the same time, I remained connected to mobile data and download speed was around 30M. Does that imply VoLTE?
    VoLTE is implied only if the phone was not also on Wifi.

On my Moto G6 and E5 Androids on Verizon, HD does not show up on the top line. It only shows up on the screen for the call in progress above the call duration time. Phone Settings info also shows if it is connected to VoLTE.

Device(s)
    iPhone 11, iPhone SE, iPhone 6s
    Carrier(s)
    Boom Mobile, RP
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by shenyi26 View Post
    Sharing an interesting finding. I have an unlocked android (huawei p30) with a used sim card (previously used with iPhone X). I don't see either HD Voice at the top or the option to toggle VoLTE in settings. But when I make a call and doing speedtest at the same time, I remained connected to mobile data and download speed was around 30M. Does that imply VoLTE?
    Not necessarily. I just did a test on my iPhone 11 (T-Mobile) after disabling LTE on the phone, and where I'm located I got 11mb. HSPA+ is rated at a potential of 42mb (or even higher according to a quick search). So it is possible you were on HSPA+. Though I've never seen that kind of speeds myself, I never had a phone that only did HSPA+ and not LTE.

Also, both data and voice at the same time is something ATT (and T-Mobile) has supported since 3G UTMS. It is only on Verizon/Sprint historically CDMA networks that required VoLTE to support simultaneous voice/data. Absent a few phone models that had 2 radios and using data on WiFi.
    iPhone 11 is my current primary phone. I have older model iPhones and Moto phones available on other lines. Trying to simplify to 2 prepaid lines, one on the Verizon network and a limited minute plan on ATT to improve coverage area. 12 month plans to help me fight the urge to switch. The good old days of contracts where you had to pay a hefty ETF to leave

Device(s)
    Note 10+
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by kevink1 View Post
    Not necessarily. I just did a test on my iPhone 11 (T-Mobile) after disabling LTE on the phone, and where I'm located I got 11mb. HSPA+ is rated at a potential of 42mb (or even higher according to a quick search). So it is possible you were on HSPA+. Though I've never seen that kind of speeds myself, I never had a phone that only did HSPA+ and not LTE.

Also, both data and voice at the same time is something ATT (and T-Mobile) has supported since 3G UTMS. It is only on Verizon/Sprint historically CDMA networks that required VoLTE to support simultaneous voice/data. Absent a few phone models that had 2 radios and using data on WiFi.
    Att never went higher than hspa+ 21mbps. Real world would be around 15 or 16 mbps. He was definitely on LTE.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Device(s)
    iPhone 11, iPhone SE, iPhone 6s
    Carrier(s)
    Boom Mobile, RP
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Joeybutts View Post
    Att never went higher than hspa+ 21mbps. Real world would be around 15 or 16 mbps. He was definitely on LTE.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk
    Didn't remember enough about how these technologies were implemented. Just did a quick search. But even if 42mb had been implemented 30 mb/s is probably not something you would see in the real world.

Feedback Score
    I just wanted to report that I'm using an unlocked galaxy S10e for the last week and that is getting VoLTE. It's not just the regular S10 anymore. I'm not sure about the note series or the A series, but the S10e factory unlocked is getting VoLTE. I would think that should bode well for the unlocked S20's having this feature out of the gate.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by gartenspartan View Post
    I just wanted to report that I'm using an unlocked galaxy S10e for the last week and that is getting VoLTE. It's not just the regular S10 anymore. I'm not sure about the note series or the A series, but the S10e factory unlocked is getting VoLTE. I would think that should bode well for the unlocked S20's having this feature out of the gate.
    I came across this and thought you’d get a kick out of it. Someone posted that the unlocked S20 supports VoLTE on AT&T. https://www.reddit.com/r/ATT/comment...m_content=PSR1

Feedback Score
    My unlocked S9 just received the UI One v2 with Android 10, and now has Volte as default. Don't see any place to switch it on or off. Also, no wifi calling yet.

Feedback Score

unlocked S10e with VoLTE

Did you by any chance flash the firmware, if so with which carrier and did you use the U or the U1 version? I have an unlocked S10e as well and would like to get VoLTE

Quote Originally Posted by gartenspartan View Post

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bostonfan View Post
    Did you by any chance flash the firmware, if so with which carrier and did you use the U or the U1 version? I have an unlocked S10e as well and would like to get VoLTE
    This is the u1 factory unlocked. It started working after updating to the android 10 update. I didn't flash any firmware, just the default factory unlocked firmware.

As an aside I did put my sim in a factory unlocked samsung note 10 on android 10 and that does NOT get volte. so apparently android 10 was not the magic switch for all Samsung unlocked devices unfortunately.

Feedback Score
    Darn. Well maybe it’s in the works for the Note 10?

Feedback Score
    As an aside.... my S9 volte works with the update, but my LTE data speeds are abysmal compared with the iPhone 11Pro using the same SIM. S9 is 6 down and .05 up avg. IPhone is 105 down, 6 up avg. I’ve checked the APN setting. It’s the correct one. Goofy.

Device(s)
    Galaxy S10
    Carrier(s)
    LTE-A
    Feedback Score
    Just checked my S9+ after the Android 10 update. VoLTE does indeed work but it's not HD Voice. Voice quality is meh, but at least calls go over data now.

EDIT: Calls do indeed utilize HD voice. When I tested last night I was in call with a landline. This is a call to another wireless line:

Name:  Screenshot_20200304-085142_Service mode RIL.jpg
Views: 115
Size:  40.2 KB

Attachment 165396

Attachment 165397
    Last edited by 10mm; 03-04-2020 at 08:55 AM.

Feedback Score
    Glad to see it’s working! Hopefully we’ll see this trend with other models and brands.

Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14