Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast

Thread: Does AT&T Still block VoLTE and wifi calling on unlocked Android devices?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Joeybutts View Post
    Not working Sent from my SM-N960U 6GB aka Note 9 using Tapatalk
    try using a computer, the link works ok here.

Device(s)
    Note 10+
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by october262 View Post
    try using a computer, the link works ok here.
    Weird, ok thanks.

Sent from my SM-N960U 6GB aka Note 9 using Tapatalk

Device(s)
    Galaxy S10
    Carrier(s)
    LTE-A
    Feedback Score
    Thanks for the input guys. I'm not keeping the One Plus and will stick with the S9 for now so I won't mess with it anymore. Decent phone, but turned out to be lame given its release date.

Feedback Score
    Related question, is there a list someplace of unlocked Android phones that work on AT&T with wifi calling and VoLTE? Because based on the replies to this thread it does appear that some unlocked Androids work with these features. For instance, unlocked Galaxy S8 and up appear to work with the latest Android OS. A list like this would be useful in order to shop for these phones that have these features available to those who need them.

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy Note 4
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by gotg6 View Post
    Related question, is there a list someplace of unlocked Android phones that work on AT&T with wifi calling and VoLTE? Because based on the replies to this thread it does appear that some unlocked Androids work with these features. For instance, unlocked Galaxy S8 and up appear to work with the latest Android OS. A list like this would be useful in order to shop for these phones that have these features available to those who need them.
    AT&T has an Internet of Things directory that includes certified handsets.

If you go to this page....

https://iotdevices.att.com/certified-devices.aspx

and type handset into the search window, you'll see what they have. Really, it's only the Pixel 2/XL, Pixel 3/XL and LG v7 and V35 for fully certified unlocked Android devices.

There are certainly a bunch of stories online about people who've previously had an appropriately provisioned Android device being able to use those credentials to get enhanced calling to work on certain garden-variety unlocked Android devices. But it seems to be one of those will-o'-the-wisp kind of things about luck with finding the right combination of device and phone rep to get it done.

While we're at it, has anyone had luck in getting Cricket Android devices to work appropriately with enhanced calling on post-paid AT&T? I see the new Moto G7 Power on cricket but not AT&T and it looks like a good workable stopgap phone for me.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by photoeditor View Post
    AT&T has an Internet of Things directory that includes certified handsets.

If you go to this page....

https://iotdevices.att.com/certified-devices.aspx

and type handset into the search window, you'll see what they have. Really, it's only the Pixel 2/XL, Pixel 3/XL and LG v7 and V35 for fully certified unlocked Android devices.

There are certainly a bunch of stories online about people who've previously had an appropriately provisioned Android device being able to use those credentials to get enhanced calling to work on certain garden-variety unlocked Android devices. But it seems to be one of those will-o'-the-wisp kind of things about luck with finding the right combination of device and phone rep to get it done.

While we're at it, has anyone had luck in getting Cricket Android devices to work appropriately with enhanced calling on post-paid AT&T? I see the new Moto G7 Power on cricket but not AT&T and it looks like a good workable stopgap phone for me.
    The cricket phone would need to be unlocked first before it can be used on AT&T.

Feedback Score
    I noticed several posts here stating that VoLTE and wifi calling work on unlocked devices running Android pie OS. Is it reasonable to predict that the LG G6 unlocked model us997 will get those features once the pie update arrives? Pie is rumored to arrive on the LG G6 in 3Q2019.

Device(s)
    Galaxy S10
    Carrier(s)
    LTE-A
    Feedback Score
    I noticed several posts here stating that VoLTE and wifi calling work on unlocked devices running Android pie OS. Is it reasonable to predict that the LG G6 unlocked model us997 will get those features once the pie update arrives? Pie is rumored to arrive on the LG G6 in 3Q2019.
    It's probably a toss up. VoLTE works on my One Plus 6T but niether feature works on my Galaxy S9+/U1 running Pie.

Feedback Score
    I know there has been discussion on the thread, but after doing tons of research and my own S9 U1 experience with Pie, I'm still confident there is no magic in Pie, as ATT is still restricting devices on their end.

There are a good handful of devices that do not have an ATT branded version phone that ATT will support with VOLTE and Wifi calling. Those include the iPhone Pixel, a Nokia or two and a handful of others (appears One Plus 6T for VOLTE by not wifi).

The recent BYOD updates for Samsung S8 and S9 switches originally locked phones to the new carrier, so a T-mobile S9 unlocked with an ATT sim works exactly like an ATT S9. In theory, this should allow Samsung to sell like Apple does with iPhone -- where none are carrier specific until a sim is inserted. It appears that some S8s (U version) may have a problem in the ATT database and still didn't get Wifi calling after the update -- but it also seems many have been able to switch to ATT software without issue. No U1 (sold factory unlocked, not branded) gets VOLTE or Wifi out of the box. Some have had luck flashing the CSC and firmware to a U version and have been able to get VOLTE, but I can't find a single report of anyone getting wifi calling on a U1 (originally unbranded/factory unlocked) S8.

S9 got the same BYOD update with Pie, which is why there is the talk of "this goes away with Pie" on this thread. After hours of searching the internet, @hexonxonx is the only one who I can find that claims VOLTE and Wifi calling are working with a U1 version of the phone, and we have no idea what he (she?) has flashed, so it all remains a mystery in that specific instance.

So today, it still seems to stand that 1) If you have a FACTORY unlocked/unbranded version of a phone that AT&T also sold a branded version of, you will not get WIFI calling. In the case of Galaxy phones, and I imagine others, you might be able to get VOLTE if you can flash ATT version of the software and have them update the IMEI to a branded version of the phone. If you have an AT&T branded phone that supports those features, you should be good to go. If you have one of the never-branded phones that ATT supports, such as iPhone/Pixel, you are good to go.

It is highly unlikely that the G6 unlocked model will get VOLTE and Wifi calling after Pie.

With all of this said, with the future being shutting down the older technologies, at some point AT&T will have to change their policy, and they are the only carrier that does this. So, they could decide to change any day now. Or they could wait a year or more. Hopefully, sooner rather than later.

Feedback Score
    OP here. All right, since AT&T is hostile to folks like me, I switched to T-Mobile under Consumer Cellular. Wifi calling auto setup works great. Thanks everyone.

Feedback Score
    I look at it this way. For all we know AT&T is working on making more factory unlocked “Carrier Free” devices VoLTE permitted through their certification process. I agree hopefully this’ll happen quickly.

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S10+, S9+, Motorola E5 Spra
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T Prepaid
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by z28lt1 View Post
    I know there has been discussion on the thread, but after doing tons of research and my own S9 U1 experience with Pie, I'm still confident there is no magic in Pie, as ATT is still restricting devices on their end.

There are a good handful of devices that do not have an ATT branded version phone that ATT will support with VOLTE and Wifi calling. Those include the iPhone Pixel, a Nokia or two and a handful of others (appears One Plus 6T for VOLTE by not wifi).

The recent BYOD updates for Samsung S8 and S9 switches originally locked phones to the new carrier, so a T-mobile S9 unlocked with an ATT sim works exactly like an ATT S9. In theory, this should allow Samsung to sell like Apple does with iPhone -- where none are carrier specific until a sim is inserted. It appears that some S8s (U version) may have a problem in the ATT database and still didn't get Wifi calling after the update -- but it also seems many have been able to switch to ATT software without issue. No U1 (sold factory unlocked, not branded) gets VOLTE or Wifi out of the box. Some have had luck flashing the CSC and firmware to a U version and have been able to get VOLTE, but I can't find a single report of anyone getting wifi calling on a U1 (originally unbranded/factory unlocked) S8.

S9 got the same BYOD update with Pie, which is why there is the talk of "this goes away with Pie" on this thread. After hours of searching the internet, @hexonxonx is the only one who I can find that claims VOLTE and Wifi calling are working with a U1 version of the phone, and we have no idea what he (she?) has flashed, so it all remains a mystery in that specific instance.

So today, it still seems to stand that 1) If you have a FACTORY unlocked/unbranded version of a phone that AT&T also sold a branded version of, you will not get WIFI calling. In the case of Galaxy phones, and I imagine others, you might be able to get VOLTE if you can flash ATT version of the software and have them update the IMEI to a branded version of the phone. If you have an AT&T branded phone that supports those features, you should be good to go. If you have one of the never-branded phones that ATT supports, such as iPhone/Pixel, you are good to go.

It is highly unlikely that the G6 unlocked model will get VOLTE and Wifi calling after Pie.

With all of this said, with the future being shutting down the older technologies, at some point AT&T will have to change their policy, and they are the only carrier that does this. So, they could decide to change any day now. Or they could wait a year or more. Hopefully, sooner rather than later.
    well said and I have S9+ verizon version and got the BYOD customization update since Nov 2018 and I am able to get volte and wifi calling to all network when i insert their sim card. I also have S10+ unlocked U1 and no volte nor wifi calling on AT&T but it doesn have both on big 3 networks.. As far as I know at&t is constantly updating their network for RCS universal profile ready and VoLTE for prepaid after they ahve done those BYOD certification process begin. Verizon prepaid did not take that long when they switch volte on prepaid. AT&T should have done this years ago. And if at&t will not certify BYOD for VoLTE there will be million of devies will not work on current at&t customer..

Device(s)
    Samsung S9 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, AT&T,Sprint
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    att lacking far behind in every which way...they sure do sound like sprint

Device(s)
    iPhone 6s
    Carrier(s)
    T-mobile for the whole globe , Att reactivated!!!
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by cricket101 View Post
    att lacking far behind in every which way...they sure do sound like sprint
    I use esim with Att, still not available on T-mobile postpaid. I think that Att is not always last. HD Voice Att-VZW also not available T-mobile -VZW. I do not protect here Att, but want to be objective.

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S10+, S9+, Motorola E5 Spra
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T Prepaid
    Feedback Score
    So I use Galaxy S10+ unlocked U1 version since the launch day and just today I receive a notification to activate visual voicemail on AT&T prepaid, before I wasn't able to activate but now it is activated. Does that mean they certify my IMEI or what? unfortunately no VoLTE still.

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast