Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast

Thread: Does AT&T Still block VoLTE and wifi calling on unlocked Android devices?

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S10+, S9+, Motorola E5 Spra
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T Prepaid
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by gotg6 View Post
    Related question, is there a list someplace of unlocked Android phones that work on AT&T with wifi calling and VoLTE? Because based on the replies to this thread it does appear that some unlocked Androids work with these features. For instance, unlocked Galaxy S8 and up appear to work with the latest Android OS. A list like this would be useful in order to shop for these phones that have these features available to those who need them.
    Wait are you saying Unlocked galaxy S8 U1 version now has VoLTE on AT&T??

Device(s)
    iPhone 6s+ 64GB
    Carrier(s)
    ·T···Mobile· USA
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by cricket101 View Post
    att lacking far behind in every which way...they sure do sound like sprint
    Well AT&T being the "phone company" is a coagulation of different ancient billing systems trying to "make things work"

I honestly do not see AT&T moving "fast" with anything until they get their antiquated billing and process systems replaced.

I'd really LOVE to be in one of their datacenters as it would not surprise me to see a System Z running old IBM 1401 and CPM coding for a good chunk of their backend with newer systems just bolted on overtime and just made to kind of work.

You can tell this is how they've done it when you even try to interact with myAT&T and have multiple accounts billed together. It's super slow and clunky and tries to talk to 1000 systems to make one single page work.
    Left: Verizon Unlimited LTE, Right: WideOpenWest 500/50

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by skyethur View Post
    So I use Galaxy S10+ unlocked U1 version since the launch day and just today I receive a notification to activate visual voicemail on AT&T prepaid, before I wasn't able to activate but now it is activated. Does that mean they certify my IMEI or what? unfortunately no VoLTE still.
    On my U1 S9 I did get visual voicemail with the Pie update as well. Like you, no VOLTE or wifi calling. Not sure if this is an indicator of anything or not.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T Prepaid
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by z28lt1 View Post
    On my U1 S9 I did get visual voicemail with the Pie update as well. Like you, no VOLTE or wifi calling. Not sure if this is an indicator of anything or not.
    Did you get visual voicemail on oreo? I had my S10+ unlocked on the day of the launch Feb 20th and visual voicemail didn't work it redirects me to dial a number and I tried a few times and then yesterday afternoon it just received a notification to setup my visual voicemail.

Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    ...So today, it still seems to stand that 1) If you have a FACTORY unlocked/unbranded version of a phone that AT&T also sold a branded version of, you will not get WIFI calling...
    I'm not convinced this it totally accurate.

I get Wi-Fi calling on AT&T using my Amazon unlocked LG V35 (LMV350ULM) which (I believe) fits your description of "factory unlocked" (it is certainly unlocked, and neither I nor AT&T did anything to accomplish that). The V35 is also sold by AT&T (V350AWM I think).

So there's another datapoint

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T Prepaid
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by sar840t2 View Post

I get Wi-Fi calling on AT&T using my Amazon unlocked LG V35 (LMV350ULM) which (I believe) fits your description of "factory unlocked" (it is certainly unlocked, and neither I nor AT&T did anything to accomplish that). The V35 is also sold by AT&T (V350AWM I think).

As far as I know AT&T allow unlocked devices to have volte only if they intend to sell the phone for their carrier brand and then later on decided not to sell it or make changes of the firmware and sell different version and that's how Huawei mate 10 pro and some ZTE devices get VoLTE on AT&T.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by skyethur View Post
    Did you get visual voicemail on oreo? I had my S10+ unlocked on the day of the launch Feb 20th and visual voicemail didn't work it redirects me to dial a number and I tried a few times and then yesterday afternoon it just received a notification to setup my visual voicemail.
    I was able to side-load the visual voicemail app on Oreo. After the Pie update I received a notification to setup my visual voicemail. Like you, it failed a time or two, and I had to dial in manually first, but it eventually worked. I think AT&t must have made a back-end change of some sort (which could have been a complete coincidence with when I upgraded to Pie) because my old visual voicemail app, does not load the new messages.

Thanks for pointing that out. I over-generalized it appears and my statement was not entirely correct.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T Prepaid
    Feedback Score
    I was able to side-load the visual voicemail app on Oreo. After the Pie update I received a notification to setup my visual voicemail. Like you, it failed a time or two, and I had to dial in manually first, but it eventually worked. I think AT&t must have made a back-end change of some sort (which could have been a complete coincidence with when I upgraded to Pie) because my old visual voicemail app, does not load the new messages.
    Well I switch from S10+ to my AT&T S9+ with pie and at first visual voicemail didnt work and after a few minutes i received notification again saying ready to setup vsm. So i dont know what it is but it seems they provision vvm by phone model.. So i think they will do the same with VoLTE.. My at&t S9+ still no volte with my prepaid it shows provisioned all but IMS registration is false but the weird part is when i use iphone everything works volte and wifi calling. seems they are having issue with android IMS registration or currently updating.

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy Note 4
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score

Here's a much bigger datapoint and unfortunately it's not good news. AT&T maintains a database that includes all certified Android devices and unfortunately the list of handsets is short, just the LG V35 which you mention, the LG G7, the Pixel 2 series and the Pixel 3 series if you're looking for something reasonably current.

You can go to the following address...

https://iotdevices.att.com/certified-devices.aspx

....and enter Handset in the search window to see what I mean.

Device(s)
    Any Windows Phones!
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by photoeditor View Post
    Here's a much bigger datapoint and unfortunately it's not good news. AT&T maintains a database that includes all certified Android devices and unfortunately the list of handsets is short, just the LG V35 which you mention, the LG G7, the Pixel 2 series and the Pixel 3 series if you're looking for something reasonably current.

You can go to the following address...

https://iotdevices.att.com/certified-devices.aspx

....and enter Handset in the search window to see what I mean.
    Isn't that the list of devices that qualify for AT&T IoT plans? To use an IoT plan you either must use a device on the list, or pay to have your device certified. (I asked about getting a cheap low-use IoT plan for my Chinese no-name GPS dog tracker once, and was told it had to be on that list. It wasn't, of course!)

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk
    --
    Todd Allcock, Microsoft MVP: Mobile Devices 2007-2011

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy Note 4
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by elecconnec View Post
    Isn't that the list of devices that qualify for AT&T IoT plans? To use an IoT plan you either must use a device on the list, or pay to have your device certified. (I asked about getting a cheap low-use IoT plan for my Chinese no-name GPS dog tracker once, and was told it had to be on that list. It wasn't, of course!)

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk
    That's a very good question. On the face of it, the answer is fairly clear -- Yes. But the subtext is that except for the Essential phone which AT&T provided information about on their website for a time, I cannot recall seeing a single post in a web forum about an unlocked and unbranded Android phone not on this list that hasn't at least required some kind of go-around with technical support in order to get VoLTE and WiFi features working properly. At the least I think we can all agree that IOT list of Android handsets ought to be a lot longer.

Anyone else had a different experience? There are a good many phones including several newer models that support the AT&T-specific bands like 14 and 30 that ought to be OK, if only they were whitelisted.

Feedback Score
    What does IoT mean?

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile & AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Internet of Things

(I had to look it up too!)

Device(s)
    Any Windows Phones!
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Nassour View Post
    Internet of Things

(I had to look it up too!)
    Sorry, yeah, one of us should've defined this further back in the conversation. "IoT" is the new buzzword for what cell companies used to call "M2M" ("Machine to Machine"). It's typically for very low data usage devices that run with little to no direct owner interaction, like a credit card machine in the middle of nowhere, GPS trackers for vehicles, kids or pets, cellular-based alarm systems, life alerts ("I've fallen and I can't get up!"), etc.

T-Mo and AT&T offer IoT plans for as low as a buck or two per month per device, depending on how many devices you sign up and how little data they use.

The point I was trying to make (badly) was since many IoT devices use little or no voice, IoT really has nothing to do with VoLTE compatibility. Therefore, I don't think the online list of approved IoT devices that was linked in the earlier post has anything to do with VoLTE-capable/approved devices. Any overlap there is purely coincidental.

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Another consideration. I have spoken with CC reps recently about the wifi calling issue for AT&T. They said if I bought an Android phone from them then the wifi calling WOULD work. Galaxy S10 is listed on their website now for $800, $100 off retail. I wonder if that is unlocked or the AT&T model? I would not mind the latter if it was not filled with the usual AT&T bloatware.

Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast