Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast

Thread: Does AT&T Still block VoLTE and wifi calling on unlocked Android devices?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by gotg6 View Post
    Another consideration. I have spoken with CC reps recently about the wifi calling issue for AT&T. They said if I bought an Android phone from them then the wifi calling WOULD work. Galaxy S10 is listed on their website now for $800, $100 off retail. I wonder if that is unlocked or the AT&T model? I would not mind the latter if it was not filled with the usual AT&T bloatware.
    No need to wonder. ATT will sell you the ATT version of the S10. It will have wifi and VOLTE and the ATT bloatware. If you buy another carrier's S10 have it unlocked and put an ATT sim in it, it will automatically load the ATT stuff, it will likely have Wifi and VOLTE. If you buy the factory unlocked one, it will not have the ATT software of bloat and will not (as of this moment, could change in the future) get Wifi calling and VOLTE.

I went from an unlocked S9 to an ATT S10 because of the VOLTE and wifi calling stuff. I can deal with the ATT bloat, as you can disable some of it with a package disabler. The thing I actually miss the most form the Samsung unlocked version is the caller id. The unlocked version comes with the fee Hiya spam protect and caller id. The ATT version will enable the spam stuff through call protect, but you have to pay $3.99 a month for the caller id portion. Looking back, I probably would have gone unlocked if I did it over. VOLTE will have to come at some point. So far, I don't really use wifi calling.

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S10+, S9+, Motorola E5 Spra
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T Prepaid
    Feedback Score
    according to at&t due to 3G shutdown they will allow Unlocked devices to have VoLTE by end of the year but the roll out will be very slow. I heard moto G7 unlocked now has VoLTE on AT&T

Feedback Score
    I bought an AT&T S10+ and had AT&T unlock it. I flashed the unlocked firmware onto the phone because Pie on the S10/+ hasn't been updated yet to where it will automatically boot up into whatever carriers firmware to match the sim card you are using.

Of course the unlocked firmware doesn't support WiFi calling and VoLTE on AT&T yet but I don't care because I flashed the unlocked firmware onto the phone to use on T-Mobile.

I do hope that Pie is updated to support all the carriers firmware versions soon just like the S9 and Note 9 do on Pie now.

Device(s)
    Galaxy S10
    Carrier(s)
    LTE-A
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by hexonxonx View Post
    I bought an AT&T S10+ and had AT&T unlock it. I flashed the unlocked firmware onto the phone because Pie on the S10/+ hasn't been updated yet to where it will automatically boot up into whatever carriers firmware to match the sim card you are using.

Of course the unlocked firmware doesn't support WiFi calling and VoLTE on AT&T yet but I don't care because I flashed the unlocked firmware onto the phone to use on T-Mobile.

I do hope that Pie is updated to support all the carriers firmware versions soon just like the S9 and Note 9 do on Pie now.
    Just curious....if you put a T-Mo SIM and reboot is B48 enabled ??

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 10mm View Post
    Just curious....if you put a T-Mo SIM and reboot is B48 enabled ??
    Any phone that I use on T-Mobile connects to only three bands, 12, 66 or 2. I have never seen any other band in my area. Band 66 is a fairly recent connection, started appearing around Christmas.

I have an XS Max, Note 9, Note 8 and the S10+.

I'm not sure how to check what bands the S10+ is capable of using.

Feedback Score
    where did you hear this about the moto g7 having VoLTE?

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T Prepaid
    Feedback Score
    Any phone that I use on T-Mobile connects to only three bands, 12, 66 or 2. I have never seen any other band in my area. Band 66 is a fairly recent connection, started appearing around Christmas.

Tmobile do not have B66 much probably you arw seeing Band 4 if it's 20mhz bandwidth diffenetly Band 4.

Sent from my SM-G975U1 using HoFo mobile app
    Galaxy Care Ambassador

Device(s)
    Galaxy S10
    Carrier(s)
    LTE-A
    Feedback Score

But if you dial *#2263# on the 10+ it will display all supported bands in Service Mode.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T Prepaid
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by worldtraveler85 View Post
    where did you hear this about the moto g7 having VoLTE?
    Some forum on reddit but i told him show proof he wasnt able to but he said he was on call staying on LTE om at&t.

Sent from my SM-G975U1 using HoFo mobile app

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T Prepaid
    Feedback Score
    Can anyone confirmed LG unlocked G7 and G8 have VoLTE and WiFi-Calling on AT&T?

Carrier(s)
    310-410
    Feedback Score
    I have a Moto G7 and can confirm it has Voice Over LTE for me. My SIM card was purchased this past Fall for postpaid activation, and if you put it in an Android phone such as Moto G6 that AT&T does not allow VoLTE support on, you will see VoLTE Provisioned toggled on in the hidden menu, however, calls will use CSFB. Forcing LTE-Only will cause calls to fail, as expected.

However --

With that SIM card in the Moto G7, I set up the phone as a new device and the initial behavior was circuit switched fallback for voice calls. After a few minutes, the network allowed Voice Over LTE. I forced it to LTE-only mode to check. -- 'Not sure if that did something to make the network "realize" was what supported, but now it's on LTE / UMTS auto and it's pretty much Voice Over LTE all the time except for when the UMTS signal is stronger. Also, calls between a few other AT&T subscribers are clearly in so-called "HD Voice." Calls to voicemail and landlines are Voice Over LTE in one of the narrowband speech codecs.

Device(s)
    Pixel 3a XL, Galaxy S7 edge (SM-G935A), GNote 4 (SM-N910A), OnePlus One (US Edition)
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T (Current), VZW (2014), Boost Mobile (2010)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by dctmpeg View Post
    I have a Moto G7 and can confirm it has Voice Over LTE for me. My SIM card was purchased this past Fall for postpaid activation, and if you put it in an Android phone such as Moto G6 that AT&T does not allow VoLTE support on, you will see VoLTE Provisioned toggled on in the hidden menu, however, calls will use CSFB. Forcing LTE-Only will cause calls to fail, as expected.

However --

With that SIM card in the Moto G7, I set up the phone as a new device and the initial behavior was circuit switched fallback for voice calls. After a few minutes, the network allowed Voice Over LTE. I forced it to LTE-only mode to check. -- 'Not sure if that did something to make the network "realize" was what supported, but now it's on LTE / UMTS auto and it's pretty much Voice Over LTE all the time except for when the UMTS signal is stronger. Also, calls between a few other AT&T subscribers are clearly in so-called "HD Voice." Calls to voicemail and landlines are Voice Over LTE in one of the narrowband speech codecs.
    There are a few things that happen for IMS to activate and VoLTE to be available. I'm no network engineer, but this is essentially what I've noticed.

Device attempts to register on the carrier network after handshaking. Network receives the request and identifies the IMEI, and based on a database with the carrier, the network allows registration with certain network features. Registration details are sent back to the device and it then registers and connects to the network based on that. Device attempts to also register any other services/features (IMS, for example).

I'm laying it out there because #1, this explains why devices not in AT&T's database sometimes won't even register with LTE for data, let alone voice. Think of the OnePlus phones, or any Chinese handset. #2, even if a device has proper AT&T network support, the network dictates what's possible for the phone.

The reason the G7 (and lots of other Android phones) are starting to support VoLTE on AT&T is because they're finally including the proper IMS profile for AT&T's network. It's also possible that they're getting the devices certified for these features with AT&T. Think about the Pixel 3, it supports VoLTE and WiFi Calling on AT&T. Google and AT&T worked together to make that happen.

The reason the G6 doesn't support it on AT&T is because Moto at the time didn't decide to include the IMS profile for AT&T's network. Also, forcing a phone to use LTE doesn't do anything to make VoLTE work, it just locks the phone into that mode whether IMS is active or not. When I had my OnePlus One, I tried to do a SIM swap trick to keep IMS active and get my OPO to use VoLTE by forcing it on LTE only, but because the phone's software/firmware didn't include AT&T's IMS profile, IMS would fail to register and it wouldn't complete a call. More phone manufacturers are starting to at least include the IMS profile for VoLTE on AT&T's network, which means that they can use VoLTE (at the very least).
    Quote Originally Posted by WishIWasHer View Post
    CSD was rarely used, and was before they started referring to cell phone technology in G's. This G stuff really started with 3G coverage and its because the 2nd iPhone was called the iPhone 3G. That's where cell phone tech got the G's from. The G stands for Gigs and the number is the number of Gigs the signal is.
    Quote Originally Posted by XFF View Post
    Oh boy....
    Quote Originally Posted by AttData View Post
    My thoughts exactly...

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T Prepaid
    Feedback Score
    We shall see by the end of 2019 if all unlocked devices that support VoLTE will enable on AT&T..

Device(s)
    iPhone X, iPhone SE, iPhone 6s
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, RP
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by skyethur View Post
    We shall see by the end of 2019 if all unlocked devices that support VoLTE will enable on AT&T..
    Did I miss something special about the end of 2019 for VoLTE?
    iPhone X is my current primary phone. I have older model iPhones and Moto phones available on other lines. Currently prepaid, though would consider postpaid on right plan.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T Prepaid
    Feedback Score
    Yes AT&T says to their one of the business meetings conference that "all phones on AT&T will have VoLTE" by end of 2019 and they are already rolling out to some but it is very slow roll out.

Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast