Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast

Thread: Does AT&T Still block VoLTE and wifi calling on unlocked Android devices?

Feedback Score

Does AT&T Still block VoLTE and wifi calling on unlocked Android devices?

Historically this was the case. However, internet searches have a lot of old results that may be outdated. And lots of people think AT&T will eventually stop doing this. Device is unlocked LG G6, model us997.

Device(s)
    iPhone 6s+ 64GB
    Carrier(s)
    ·T···Mobile· USA
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by gotg6 View Post
    Historically this was the case. However, internet searches have a lot of old results that may be outdated. And lots of people think AT&T will eventually stop doing this. Device is unlocked LG G6, model us997.
    It's not that at&t is actively "blocking" it, it comes down to if the software has AT&T VoLTE settings baked into the software.

I've always been able to use VoLTE on my Samsung's (S7 and up) and Google Pixel devices with AT&T.
    Left: Verizon Unlimited LTE, Right: WideOpenWest 500/50

Feedback Score
    I know att prepaid doesn't get VOLTE while Cricket does on some devices

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    I only have experience with Samsung and iPhones.

As far as Samsung phones go, Note 8, S8, S8+ will work with VoLTE and WiFi calling as of Oreo.

Note 9/S9/S9+ will work with VoLTE and WiFi calling as of Pie.

I have a T-Mobile Note 9 that is unlocked. I upgraded it to Pie and got WiFi calling and VoLTE working perfectly on my AT&T postpaid accounts, even have VoLTE and WiFi calling working on a AT&T prepaid as well.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by hexonxonx View Post

As far as Samsung phones go, Note 8, S8, S8+ will work with VoLTE and WiFi calling as of Oreo.

I have a T-Mobile Note 9 that is unlocked. I upgraded it to Pie and got WiFi calling and VoLTE working perfectly on my AT&T postpaid accounts, even have VoLTE and WiFi calling working on a AT&T prepaid as well.
    Are you flashing the att software? Can't get VoLTE on my U1 Note 9.

Sent from my SM-N960U1 using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Toad View Post

It didn't matter what carrier version you put on the phone anymore because with Pie, it's universal meaning it vintage all the carrier versions of the firmware. Insert a T-Mobile SIM and it reboots into the T-Mobile firmware. Insert a Verizon SIM and the phone reboots into the Verizon firmware. All the carrier features work with each carriers version of the firmware.

Feedback Score
    It didn't matter what carrier version you put on the phone anymore because with Pie, it's universal meaning it vintage all the carrier versions of the firmware. Insert a T-Mobile SIM and it reboots into the T-Mobile firmware. Insert a Verizon SIM and the phone reboots into the Verizon firmware. All the carrier features work with each carriers version of the firmware.
    My unlocked S9 plus did that even before pie. Tho the unlocked model doesn't even have pie unless it's the beta

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by thotguy31 View Post
    My unlocked S9 plus did that even before pie. Tho the unlocked model doesn't even have pie unless it's the beta

I have an unlocked S9+ running Pie. VoLTE and wifi calling work on it with my AT&T Sim. The Pune reboots into the AT&T firmware and everything works perfectly. Improved battery life as well.

Feedback Score
    How did you get it? I only have the beta version Dec patch

Feedback Score
    How did you get it? I only have the Beta Dec patch

The S9 Reddit had a direct link to the final release. I loaded it into my SD card and updated it from there.

Device(s)
    iphone 6s plus
    Carrier(s)
    VZW,T-mobile,Cricket,Fi
    Feedback Score

Does AT&T Still block VoLTE and wifi calling on unlocked Android devices?

I know att prepaid doesn't get VOLTE while Cricket does on some devices

AT&T prepaid has VoLTE and wifi calling now. Works fine on my Pixel 3 XL
    "I didn't get fat by accident. This was a personal choice. " - Kevin Gillespie

Device(s)
    Galaxy S6 Active
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score

I believe the u1 doesn't have pie released yet. You can load the att version.

Sent from my SM-N960U 6GB aka Note 9 using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Joeybutts View Post
    I believe the u1 doesn't have pie released yet. You can load the att version.

I keep checking mine and no update. I only have the beta on mine

Feedback Score
    Still doing it, and if the G6 is not at&t branded, it will likely not work. Not sure about that phone specifically, but with many phones you can get VOLTE to work by flashing the AT&t firmware and then calling and giving an IMEI that was AT&t branded. Wifi calling won't work.

Quote Originally Posted by brad15 View Post
    It's not that at&t is actively "blocking" it, it comes down to if the software has AT&T VoLTE settings baked into the software.

I've always been able to use VoLTE on my Samsung's (S7 and up) and Google Pixel devices with AT&T.
    They most certainly are actively blocking it on certain non branded devices. There are a handful of devices, usually those that are not branded by any carrier (iPhone, Pixel, and a couple of other Androids) that are not "blocked". For the Galaxy's that not support BYOD devices from another carrier the latest updates make them ok as well. The true never-branded devices where AT&T has a branded version does not work.

AT&T uses a whitelist of IMEIs to check against to determine if it will allow VOLTE and Wifi calling, if your phone is not on the whitelist, even with the AT&t software flashed, it won't work (is blocked) even if the software option is there. As noted, you can call AT&T (after flashing the AT&T firmware) and have them provision a whitelisted IMEI of a carrier phone and get VOLTE to work. It seems for Wifi calling, it regularly checks against the IMEI, so that tends to only work for a few minutes, and will stop working again, even with the AT&T software if the phone's IMEI is not whitelisted.

So yes, need a whitelisted phone, and AT&T firmware for wifi and VOLTE to work outside of a handful of models.

There is confusion here. There are the U versions of the phones and the U1 versions of the recent Samsungs. The U versions were originally carrier phones, and if unlocked, will load the software and configuration of the sim card in the phone. So, a T-mobile phone becomes an AT&T phone just by changing the sim and rebooting. The U1 versions, which were sold factory unlocked do not perform that trick, and remain an unbranded, unlocked phone that will not work with AT&T VOLTE or Wifi.

Device(s)
    Galaxy S6 Active
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by z28lt1 View Post
    Still doing it, and if the G6 is not at&t branded, it will likely not work. Not sure about that phone specifically, but with many phones you can get VOLTE to work by flashing the AT&t firmware and then calling and giving an IMEI that was AT&t branded. Wifi calling won't work.

They most certainly are actively blocking it on certain non branded devices. There are a handful of devices, usually those that are not branded by any carrier (iPhone, Pixel, and a couple of other Androids) that are not "blocked". For the Galaxy's that not support BYOD devices from another carrier the latest updates make them ok as well. The true never-branded devices where AT&T has a branded version does not work.

AT&T uses a whitelist of IMEIs to check against to determine if it will allow VOLTE and Wifi calling, if your phone is not on the whitelist, even with the AT&t software flashed, it won't work (is blocked) even if the software option is there. As noted, you can call AT&T (after flashing the AT&T firmware) and have them provision a whitelisted IMEI of a carrier phone and get VOLTE to work. It seems for Wifi calling, it regularly checks against the IMEI, so that tends to only work for a few minutes, and will stop working again, even with the AT&T software if the phone's IMEI is not whitelisted.

So yes, need a whitelisted phone, and AT&T firmware for wifi and VOLTE to work outside of a handful of models.

There is confusion here. There are the U versions of the phones and the U1 versions of the recent Samsungs. The U versions were originally carrier phones, and if unlocked, will load the software and configuration of the sim card in the phone. So, a T-mobile phone becomes an AT&T phone just by changing the sim and rebooting. The U1 versions, which were sold factory unlocked do not perform that trick, and remain an unbranded, unlocked phone that will not work with AT&T VOLTE or Wifi.
    The pie update, when release for the U1 should enable volte and vowifi. If you load the ATT pie firmware, I've read that volte and vowifi work without any loopholes. Google has been implementing all the ims settings in pie.

Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast