Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Finally reports of end of 3G

Device(s)
    iPhone X, iPhone SE, iPhone 6s
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, RP
    Feedback Score

Finally reports of end of 3G

"AT&T Inc. T -0.06% said it plans to stop providing service to devices that use third-generation wireless technology in early 2022 as it makes room for more powerful standards. The decision, disclosed in a Wednesday regulatory filing,"

According to the WSJ on the 22nd of February article

Carrier(s)
    TMobile
    Feedback Score
    I think it's a good move and by 2022 is plenty of advance warning as long as the service doesn't start to quickly suck for some.

I get good fall back service with att, seems similar to how Verizon 1x would work in fringe areas

Device(s)
    Moto E4 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    Red Pocket (AT&T & Verizon)-3 Lines
    Feedback Score
    Hopefully ATT will start allowing more phones to use VoLTE. Not sure why they are not moving any faster than they are?

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S9+
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Digital Rules View Post
    Hopefully ATT will start allowing more phones to use VoLTE. Not sure why they are not moving any faster than they are?
    Simple reason, some folks are resistant to change and they want those folks to adapt slowly vs. cutting off a whole group of customers too early who are still holding on to the older handsets.
    Don't make me turn this car around.....

Device(s)
    Qualcomm iPhone X 256 GB Space Grey
    Carrier(s)
    Visible
    Feedback Score
    Agreed that AT&T made the right move to give plenty of time for people to upgrade to VoLTE devices.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    iPhone 7+ on the Verizon Network
    iPad Pro 9.7 on the AT&T Network

Device(s)
    Moto E4 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    Red Pocket (AT&T & Verizon)-3 Lines
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by veriztd View Post
    Simple reason, some folks are resistant to change and they want those folks to adapt slowly vs. cutting off a whole group of customers too early who are still holding on to the older handsets.
    Thanks, I was just referring to making VoLTE available to more users. Definitely not a good idea to cut off 3G too quickly.

Device(s)
    iPhone 11 Pro Max Series 4 Apple Watch
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    ^^ This. And extend this service to all prepaid and MVNO brands by default would be cool too.

I wonder how many ATT (direct or indirect) customers are still using 3G voice?

Anyways: More spectrum planned for NR is always good news to hear.
    “The Internet wasn’t meant to be metered in bits and bytes, so it’s insane that wireless companies are still making you buy it this way. The rate plan is dead — it’s a fossil from a time when wireless was metered by every call or text.” John Legere 1/5/2017

Device(s)
    iPhone 11 Pro Max Series 4 Apple Watch
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by @TheRealDanny View Post
    ^^

I wonder how many ATT (direct or indirect) customers are still using 3G voice?
    https://www.consumeraffairs.com/news...22-022219.html

AT&T said 11 percent of their customers still rely on 3G for connectivity.

Device(s)
    iPhone XS Max 256Gb
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T Mobility
    Feedback Score

Finally reports of end of 3G

Quote Originally Posted by @TheRealDanny View Post
    https://www.consumeraffairs.com/news...22-022219.html

AT&T said 11 percent of their customers still rely on 3G for connectivity.
    Don’t forget prepaid! My parents Redpocket service uses AT&T’s 3G service. They only have a 3G flip phone. I’m sure there are many other prepaid users that have 3G only devices. I’m assuming AT&T is planning to shut down WCDMA in 2022?
    Hartford, CT Area

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by veriztd View Post
    They need to shed the dead weight and “get with the times” by offering better service and making technological advancements, not get mired with the past and catering to Luddites. A carrier moving too slowly can easily appear to be standing still and if they’re not careful they’ll lose all but the most diehard customers to other carriers.
    Last edited by DebiLee; 02-23-2019 at 12:25 AM.

Device(s)
    Apple iPhone 11 Pro Max / Apple iPhone 7
    Carrier(s)
    Pacific Bell Wireless / Verizon Wireless / AT&T MX / Movistar MX / Telcel MX
    Feedback Score
    Good news to see 3G finally going away,but like you I'm wondering how AT&T will approach VoLTE support for devices not purchased from them. I ported away one of my AT&T lines to Verizon Wireless because of non-existent VoLTE support from AT&T for my Samsung S8 and BB KeyOne, once I got the Verizon lines up and running, adding VoLTE support for my Samsung S8 and BB KeyOne was as easily as logging on to the account manager and adding the feature. I could never get VoLTE or LTE data to work on BB KeyOne despite calling support many times.

I'm not banking on AT&T to be any friendlier with non-AT&T devices when they finally turn off 3G.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, RP
    Feedback Score
    There are reports that Verizon will continue to support CDMA for certain devices (not phones) for awhile after the cutoff date. I wonder whether ATT will for non phone devices too. For instance, my car uses ATT 3G for light data usage and accident reporting.

Device(s)
    Nokia 6
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile USA / Play (Poland)
    Feedback Score
    In the world of voLTE problems, how do we see international roaming happening in the future? For example, there are plenty of operators who only have an agreement with ATT and I could only roam on ATT with a foreign SIM from some of them, yet no voLTE support. Will there be a solution?

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, RP
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Barciur View Post
    In the world of voLTE problems, how do we see international roaming happening in the future? For example, there are plenty of operators who only have an agreement with ATT and I could only roam on ATT with a foreign SIM from some of them, yet no voLTE support. Will there be a solution?
    Hadn't considered this point. There are 2 variants. US phones that you may want to use a foreign SIM when traveling, and US phones when you are roaming on a foreign carrier.

Hopefully the carriers will come up with solutions for this. Some quick research, and there are many people I assume who know more about it.

I've picked up there are different qualities to VoLTE. A basic codec that has to be supported, and better codecs that can called HD Voice or equivalent that are better quality. If this is correct, then maybe roaming will support at least a basic codec. For using a foreign sim, carriers will have to be willing to support phones that they haven't sold or been "approved" for use on their network specifically. Which is an issue just within carriers in the US, where ATT won't support VoLTE on an Android phone that doesn't have ATT Firmware.

Feedback Score
    But...

AT&T considers 3G HSPA to be 4G...

So what are they actually getting rid of?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast