Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: I'm going data-only with GV

Carrier(s)
    PagePlus (this month anyway)
    Feedback Score

I'm going data-only with GV

Well, I feel like I'm jumping into the deep end of the swimming pool, but now that I have wifi/cell data calls working, out of curiosity I have to try it on a data-only plan. I had a Red Pocket GSMA SIM card in my shoebox full of unactivated SIM cards so I purchased a data-only plan from Red Pocket, activated the SIM card and stuck it in my phone. I figure at worst I'll miss a few calls and lose ten bucks.

I'm connected to wifi most of the day and night, so I'm trusting that the 1GB of data will last a month. I'll report back with the results.
    My smartphone is a lot smarter than I am.

Feedback Score
    Interesting. I'm also connected to wifi most of the time. Data only would probably work for me.

But a year's worth of Tracfone service is cheap enough for me to stay with voice service for now.

Good luck with your experiment.

Sent from my SM-N960U1 using HoFo mobile app

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    You probably already know that I've been 100% data for mobile voice and messaging since March, 2017, with GV #s + Hangouts. I'm sticking with Hangouts for now for my primary GV #s, but I have the GV app installed and am testing it with a new GV # and will hopefully switch to it for my primary GV #s when Google fixes a few things in the GV app.

I don't have access to WiFi most of the time. At first I mostly used FP AT&T LTE SIMs for my data, but FP reduced the data available per SIM from 1,200MB, then to 700MB, and then to 250MB. I'm now mostly using a FP SuperNova with 1GB/mo free while I'm at work, and I also use a FP AT&T LTE 1GB/mo prepaid SIM that I got for $33.99 for the whole year, which works out to $2.83/mo, when it was on sale (regular $49.99), for when I'm not near the SuperNova.

I've also been data only at my house since October, 2015, using my GV #s and an Obi200 device on WiFi.

Anyway, being data only has worked out well for me.

Device(s)
    Tin cans and a string
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    ^^The Supernova is a sprint product right? How are you getting a GB, I thought it was 500MB + 250MB (friends)?

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by GPz1100 View Post
    ^^The Supernova is a sprint product right? How are you getting a GB, I thought it was 500MB + 250MB (friends)?
    Yes, it's using Sprint.

It's actually 1GB+50MB Freedom Friends monthly. The Freedom Friends bonus was reduced from 500MB/mo to 50MB/mo max in July, 2018. I guess I'm just lucky...sort of like those that are able to get 550MB/mo on their FP AT&T LTE SIM cards while I'm only able to get 250MB/mo.

Surprisingly, despite the FP Sprint 1Mbps throttle, it works fine for Hangouts calls.

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, AT&T, Straight Talk (AT&T)
    Feedback Score
    FWIW, every time my GV number rang so did my tablet's Hangouts, so I'd say it's perfectly doable, especially now with the GV voice-WiFi rollout complete.
    Galaxy Tab S2 SM-T817T on AT&T
    Galaxy S7 on StraightTalk (AT&T)

Carrier(s)
    FirstNet, Verizon via RedPocket, Alachua County CCC via APCO25
    Feedback Score
    I use GV with data as a second line on my phone. It is my work number, and I have not missed any calls in a while. I had to add GV to the exception list for battery control so the app won't go to sleep. It works equally as well on cell data and wifi.

Device(s)
    LG G7
    Carrier(s)
    Google FI
    Feedback Score
    For someone going data only and for the most part has wifi available. Tmobile prepaid, if the coverage works for you, has a data only plan that works for phones, 2GB is $10/mo.

https://prepaid.t-mobile.com/plan-de...obile-internet

The advantage would be GV handles spam 100% so you're not exposed at all with the carrier number.

I'd recommend going to a store though to get it based on my experience.

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by offthegrid View Post
    For someone going data only and for the most part has wifi available. Tmobile prepaid, if the coverage works for you, has a data only plan that works for phones, 2GB is $10/mo.

The advantage would be GV handles spam 100% so you're not exposed at all with the carrier number.

That plan includes the following:

Use your high speed data in Canada or Mexico (up to 5GB 4G LTE) like you do in the US - at no extra charge
    Never go without your tunes with unlimited music streaming on T-Mobile network - without using 4G LTE data
    Unlimited data while on network with no overages or annual service contract so you can always stay connected

Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    ... if the coverage works for you ...
    My experience with T-Mobile MVNOs such as Ultra and US Mobile (before they offered VZW coverage) was that the coverage was poor. But going with the mothership would provide better coverage than the deprioritized MVNOs, correct? Or is this not the case with T-Mobile?

Device(s)
    LG G7
    Carrier(s)
    Google FI
    Feedback Score
    Higher priority than anyone except Tmo postpaid, the way I understand it anyway.

I don't believe coverage is any better than an MVNO but when they finish the band 71 roll out and merge with Sprint their coverage will likely be as good as Verizon or AT&T (and they'll have a large enough base to maintain the coverage area too) dependent on someone having a phone with all the right bands.

Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score

Apparently cell data is not being deducted

I activated this $10/1 GB data-only SIM on the 22nd of this month. I have made and received several calls while driving around, disconnected from wifi. (The sound quality is great, by the way.) Yet my balance still shows my full GB remaining.

Name:  data balance.jpg
Views: 190
Size:  8.1 KB

Hmmm. Maybe Red Pocket takes several days to display the data balance after it has been used.

Device(s)
    Tin cans and a string
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Your usage above does show 11 MB of data consumed. You start out with 1024MB (1 binary GB).

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Relztrah View Post
    I activated this $10/1 GB data-only SIM on the 22nd of this month. I have made and received several calls while driving around, disconnected from wifi. (The sound quality is great, by the way.) Yet my balance still shows my full GB remaining.

Name:  data balance.jpg
Views: 190
Size:  8.1 KB

Hmmm. Maybe Red Pocket takes several days to display the data balance after it has been used.
    As GPz1100 said, that picture shows 11MB of usage.

If you think 11MB is a lot of usage for the number of voice minutes used via the GV app, you do need to keep in mind that your phone may also use cellular data in other ways any time cellular data is turned on.

Feedback Score

Just bought this plan on a Moto G6. Went stores. The first one won't do it telling me it's a data plan for a tablet and they won't do it on my phone. The guy in a second store was flexible. He was not sure if it work but tested it on my phone with a live sim he pulled out of a display tablet. It worked on my phone and he activated one for me. Working well. He did explain it was a data only sim for tablets and won't work on all phones. So I guess to go this route, you want to make sure the phone can take a data sim.

Sent from my moto g(6) using HoFo mobile app

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast