Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Wird issed calls showing up in GV # ?

Device(s)
    LG Tribute HD
    Carrier(s)
    TPO
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Thanks for your replies.

I find a SQUARE Apps called Voice mail in my LG Tribute HD. It has Yellow border with black inner square . I find lot of messages sitting there. I am not sure, what was the number causing these VM. I am not able to read these messages either. GV# VM comes to GV messages.

I did not see app info/version etc. There is no settings either. If I open this app, it shows INBOX and VM messages list.

Is this the LG Tribute's native Voice Mail ?

It looks weird, as I place a call via GV/Hangout , it is keep on ringing and goes to time out. It throw "No one has joined your call"

If I send SMS, it shows up the party's name as I type the number. Sent messages are hanging there. Some times throw "Name hasn't accepted your invitation"

Are there any invite acceptance procedure for GV, Hangouts ?

Thanks for sharing.

Device(s)
    Tin cans and a string
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Pictures............screenshots................

Device(s)
    LG Tribute HD
    Carrier(s)
    TPO
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Thanks for your replies. Here are the screenshots.

Thanks for your guidance
    Attached Images Attached Images      

Carrier(s)
    Tello (this month)
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    To me this looks like texts and voicemails sent to the actual number of your handset, not your GV number. But I am only guessing. Although I don't use or give out the number of my handset, I recorded a voice mail greeting for people trying to reach the previous owner of that phone number. That way they know that he or she no longer has that number and they don't leave a message. There is really no way to prevent texts, so I just delete them.
    My smartphone is a lot smarter than I am.

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    RIMDHoward, do you recognize the #s you blocked out in your screenshot?

If yes, then you must have given the callers your new real CELLULAR phone #.

If not, the calls are coming to your new real CELLULAR phone #, but are probably meant for the former owner of the phone #.

If it were me, if you intend to use Google Voice / Hangouts for everything, I'd delete all app data and, if possible, disable (or uninstall) that app on your phone via Settings>Apps

Device(s)
    Moto E (T-Mo); LG Fiesta 2 (PPC)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile Prepaid & Page Plus
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Looking at your screen shots, it looks to me like the top one is of Hangouts, due to the green title bar and the look of the text entry area and the icons lined up there.

What might be going on there is, when using Hangouts as an IM chat app, there is an acceptance routine when you first contact someone for a chat, using I suppose either a contact name or a phone number that references them. But this is in case where that other contact has Hangouts installed and has a Google account.

If you picked a number out of the air to start a message to someone while in the "IM mode" of Hangouts, I imagine you'd see what you're seeing. Which is different than using Hangouts to send SMS through Google Voice to someone.

This is a guess, of course.

The bottom shot is your LG's Home screen, and it looks like you're getting a notification that a contact or incoming caller has left you a voicemail; strange place for a notification to show though. Do you have any business with Square point of sales companies?

Middle shot looks like some other texting/messaging app completely. Not familiar with that with the info provided.

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lol! Maybe RIMDHoward is just playing with us...trying to see how confused he can make us!?

RIMDHoward, EXACTLY how are you initiating a SMS from Hangouts?

Device(s)
    Tin cans and a string
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    It would be helpful if the screenshots were thorough, not with the top part obfuscated.

At this point I can only offer this....

Device(s)
    LG Tribute HD
    Carrier(s)
    TPO
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Thanks for your replies.

Quote Originally Posted by whacker View Post
    Looking at your screen shots, it looks to me like the top one is of Hangouts, due to the green title bar and the look of the text entry area and the icons lined up there.

What might be going on there is, when using Hangouts as an IM chat app, there is an acceptance routine when you first contact someone for a chat, using I suppose either a contact name or a phone number that references them. But this is in case where that other contact has Hangouts installed and has a Google account.

If you picked a number out of the air to start a message to someone while in the "IM mode" of Hangouts, I imagine you'd see what you're seeing. Which is different than using Hangouts to send SMS through Google Voice to someone.

This is a guess, of course.

The bottom shot is your LG's Home screen, and it looks like you're getting a notification that a contact or incoming caller has left you a voicemail; strange place for a notification to show though. Do you have any business with Square point of sales companies?

Middle shot looks like some other texting/messaging app completely. Not familiar with that with the info provided.
    it looks to me like the top one is of Hangouts -- You are correct ! It is showing the message is waiting for acceptance.

How do I know, whether I am in "IM mode" of Hangouts?

What do you mean by using Hangouts as an IM chat app?

Do you have any business with Square point of sales companies? NO

Middle shot looks like some other texting/messaging app completely. Not familiar with that with the info provided. ==> after tapping bottom screen VM, this screen open up. I did not recognize any number coming here. I am not able to read these messages either. These numbers are not eating my career airtime either.

How are you initiating a SMS from Hangouts?
    Hangouts app ==> Messaging ==> touch + sign ==> New SMS or New Conversation ==> Type Phone number (some numbers , it pops up their photo/name) ==> type& send SMS ==> it will prompt sent via google voice

I am not able to find, whether they read or not .

It would be helpful if the screenshots were thorough, not with the top part obfuscated.
    I did post the screen shot got from my phone. This is what I get when I hold power/vol Down to capture screenshot !

Thanks for sharing.

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by RIMDHoward View Post
    Thanks for your replies.

it looks to me like the top one is of Hangouts -- You are correct ! It is showing the message is waiting for acceptance.

How do I know, whether I am in "IM mode" of Hangouts?

What do you mean by using Hangouts as an IM chat app?

Do you have any business with Square point of sales companies? NO

Middle shot looks like some other texting/messaging app completely. Not familiar with that with the info provided. ==> after tapping bottom screen VM, this screen open up. I did not recognize any number coming here. I am not able to read these messages either. These numbers are not eating my career airtime either.

Hangouts app ==> Messaging ==> touch + sign ==> New SMS or New Conversation ==> Type Phone number (some numbers , it pops up their photo/name) ==> type& send SMS ==> it will prompt sent via google voice

I am not able to find, whether they read or not .

I did post the screen shot got from my phone. This is what I get when I hold power/vol Down to capture screenshot !

Thanks for sharing.
    If your intention is to send regular SMS messages to regular phone #s that can receive SMS, DO NOT tap New Conversation! I'm pretty sure New Conversation is only for communicating with someone that also has the Hangouts app.

There's no way to see if the other party has read the message if you're sending SMS to a regular phone # via GV/Hangouts. To get that feature, you'd need to use an app-to-app system, such as FB Messenger, Viber, or Hangouts, to name just a few, where the person on the other side is also using the same app. I've never used Hangouts like that. But FB Messenger and Viber do that well, so I'd assume Hangouts would as well. But to repeat, if you're sending a SMS to a phone #, Hangouts won't show if the message has been read, just like a native text messaging app using a regular cellular # won't.

Device(s)
    Tin cans and a string
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Re Screenshot, some phones have the option to do so by long pressing the power button.

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    RIMDHoward, do what I said above with that app you mentioned: "delete all app data and, if possible, disable (or uninstall) that app on your phone via Settings>Apps"

To send an SMS to a real phone # from Hangouts, do NOT use New Conversation. ALWAYS use New SMS instead.

Report back with how it goes!

Device(s)
    Moto E (T-Mo); LG Fiesta 2 (PPC)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile Prepaid & Page Plus
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Yeah, Boz1 has it regarding the distinction between the messaging types.

By the way, RIMDHoward, Hangouts' original function (and it continues to support) was as Google's next gen IM (Instant Messaging) app (circa about 2013), being the successor to Google Talk and maybe some function of the Google+ social media platform (I think I have that correct).

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2