Thread: kodoo s10 work on fido network?

Feedback Score

kodoo s10 work on fido network?

hello,

i intend to buy an s10 from kodoo due to the deal theyre oferring, but i'm wondering if it'll work on the fido network (which Im on).

Device(s)
    iPhone XS, iPad Mini 2, MacBook Pro 2013 13”, Apple TV 4.
    Carrier(s)
    TELUS
    Feedback Score
    It will! And if you want Fido’s Wi-Fi Calling, you’ll have to change your CSC to theirs (FDO).

Sent from my iPhone XS on TELUS’ network using HoFo.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by TwitchyPuppy View Post
    It will! And if you want Fido’s Wi-Fi Calling, you’ll have to change your CSC to theirs (FDO).

thanks man!

Device(s)
    Galaxy S9, iPhone SE, Note 4
    Carrier(s)
    TELUS, Koodo, chatr (Mobilicity)
    Feedback Score

No, that's wrong. Fido (and Rogers) force you to buy a phone from them in order to get Wi-Fi Calling and VoLTE: https://www.fido.ca/consumer/content/wifi-calling

If you have a non-Fido Android device (e.g., you did not buy your device from Fido), Wi-Fi Calling will not work.
    Sent from my SM-G960W using HoFo mobile app
    TELUS: Unlimited Canada-wide Talk, Text and 15+10 GB Data
    Koodo: Unlimited Canada-wide Talk, Text and 8 GB Data
    chatr: $60 Unlimited In-zone Talk, Text and Data (20 GB at 3G speed)

Device(s)
    OnePlus 6T/Samsung Galaxy s7 edge
    Carrier(s)
    Freedom Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Night_Owl View Post
    No, that's wrong. Fido (and Rogers) force you to buy a phone from them in order to get Wi-Fi Calling and VoLTE: https://www.fido.ca/consumer/content/wifi-calling

He said to get it working by change CSC.

Sent from my ONEPLUS 6T using Tapatalk
    Freedom Mobile Promo 50 Everywhere Canada

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ma678 View Post
    He said to get it working by change CSC.

I know, but that won't get Wi-Fi Calling or VoLTE to work on Fido. Both Rogers and Fido only whitelist IMEI numbers of Android phones they sell to work with Wi-Fi Calling and VoLTE.

That's why I quoted Fido's warning about Android phones not bought from Fido. An Android phone from Koodo will not be in Fido's IMEI whitelist database.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Freedom Mobile
    Feedback Score
    My S7 edge from Samsung store did not get wifi calling in the beginning; however, it worked right away after I changed its CSC.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    TELUS
    Feedback Score
    My S7 edge from Samsung store did not get wifi calling in the beginning; however, it worked right away after I changed its CSC.

Exactly. I got one from Bell and got Rogers’ Wi-Fi Calling to work this way.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    TELUS
    Feedback Score
    I know, but that won't get Wi-Fi Calling or VoLTE to work on Fido. Both Rogers and Fido only whitelist IMEI numbers of Android phones they sell to work with Wi-Fi Calling and VoLTE.

That's why I quoted Fido's warning about Android phones not bought from Fido. An Android phone from Koodo will not be in Fido's IMEI whitelist database.

It does, in fact.

I doubt there’s such a thing as “whitelisting”, but I do know those features only work on “their” devices running “their” OS version. Changing CSC does that.

And of course they issue such a warning. They want people to get their phone from them, instead of another carrier

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    I doubt there’s such a thing as “whitelisting” ...

And of course they issue such a warning. They want people to get their phone from them, instead of another carrier
    Fido moderators keep saying this in the Fido Forums:

https://forums.fido.ca/t5/General-Su...id/td-p/140862

https://forums.fido.ca/t5/Phones-and...ng/td-p/123034

https://forums.fido.ca/t5/General-Su.../112393/page/2

https://forums.fido.ca/t5/General-Su...oid/td-p/97971

I think it's despicable that Fido and Rogers do this or at least threaten/restrict their customers like this.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    TELUS
    Feedback Score
    Fido moderators keep saying this in the Fido Forums:

https://forums.fido.ca/t5/General-Su...id/td-p/140862
    https://forums.fido.ca/t5/Phones-and...ng/td-p/123034
    https://forums.fido.ca/t5/General-Su.../112393/page/2
    https://forums.fido.ca/t5/General-Su...oid/td-p/97971

I think it's despicable that Fido and Rogers do this or at least threaten/restrict their customers like this.

Yup.. Although I’m pretty sure they’re all doing that, though.

Sent from my iPhone XS using Tapatalk

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Freedom Mobile
    Feedback Score
    I don't know other devices. At least Samsung devices work after changing CSC.

Feedback Score
    I don't know other devices. At least Samsung devices work after changing CSC.

I'll chime in here since I'm one of the original posters on XDA forums among other sites on the workaround for the CSC code. Unfortunately, the manufacturers as well as carriers work hand-in-hand in Canada to shaft mobile users. All this bullocks about carrier this, carrier that is just that... BULLOCKS!

Unfortunately, we as Canadians continue to pay the highest rates in the world for mobile use, the carriers (3 to be exact) Telus, Bell and Rogers among their subsidiary brands continue to gouge customers whilst price-fixing and offering discounts through their subsidiary brands.

Telus = Koodo & Public Mobile
    Rogers = Chat-R & Fido
    Bell = Solo & Lucky Mobile

I'm sure I missed some but it's early in the morning. Bottom line is companies like Freedom Mobile who want to offer true competition are railroaded by the same major brands who they themselves were offered spectrum licensing for pennies on the dollar back in the day by our Government.

All phones come factory unlocked but unfortunately, the boot-loader has been programmed to load all the bloatware from the manufacturer the phone was originally intended for. When working with the major carriers, this does not pose an issue but if you had a Telus Samsung as example and wanted to use it on Freedom Mobile to take advantage of LTE, this is not possible as the radio band allowing for this frequency (Band 66) is "crippled".

The way around this is through a CSC network-change (not sales code). With a Samsung device, the steps are as follows:

From the dial pad, enter the following code:

*#272*[IMEI]#

where [IMEI] is the devices unique identifier. You can find this on the box or through the phone itself under the settings or a quick method is to dial: *#06# from the dial pad screen.

Once in the CSC menu, the 3-letter code references the provider: example... TLS = Telus/Koodo/Public Mobile, GLW = Globalive Wireless (Freedom), RWC = Rogers Wireless Corporation/Fido/Chat-R, BMC = Bell Mobility Corporation/Solo Mobile/Lucky Mobile etc... Once you pick your desired carrier, you can click the "Install Button" which will prompt you for a network change or sales change. Choose network.

Unlike a simple unlocked phone which will allow carrier interchangeability, the benefit of a CSC change allows the following:

Loaded bloatware for the specific carrier
    OTA updates specific to that carrier
    WiFi Calling
    and the list goes on...

Unfortunately, allowing for unlocked devices within itself was an uphill battle. I cannot see the carriers allowing the manufacturer to provide the internal CSC codes or market phones in the future allowing for a direct menu option for the user to change this. The major telecom industries want to continue to rip off Canadian consumers for as long as possible and all the authoritative figures who oversee these industries who, themselves can lobby and make change are too coerced by the greedy dollars thrown at them while the major carriers continue to profit immensely.

Anyone who thinks the major telecoms are in competition with one another are incorrect. They play the price fixing game but are all too eager to band together when there's fear of "real competition". Remember when Verizon had intentions of buying WIND Mobile back in the day? Wow... The Big-3 banded together quickly to ensure they entered into a joint venture for commercial/radio airtime to show Canadians how bad that would be. Price fixing at it's best and Verizon didn't want to pander to the "big babies" so they backed out.

It will be many years before you see telecom in Canada change and unfortunately, with Shaw buying Freedom, Freedom will continue to serve it's customer base but will become the subsidiary brand of Shaw Mobile in the soon to be future. The pricing structure of Shaw Mobile will allow the 4th national carrier to be inline with the others while the discount subsidiary Freedom brand will be that of a comparison to the way the carriers currently operate.

Bit of a rant but don't believe what the manufacturers or carriers tell you! Many people in the telecom industry look at is as a job and have very limited knowledge on the industry itself. Others, who may be the quote-unquote professionals are told to keep quiet or limit their advice. Seen it first hand being involved in the industry myself and yes, sometimes I stir the pot and the people in the "white van" are always keeping tabs