Thread: does this sound shady?

Device(s)
    Samsung S9 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, AT&T,Sprint
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

does this sound shady?

so i picked up the iphone 6s today..after me and the store worker was talking about the diff pricing from 2 stores, he said a few times that the other store is prob used phones and that his are brand new and it was in the shrink wrap (doesnt mean much since ppl can buy a device that can do the shrink wrap) and open it in front of me and all was fine till i check the ios and notice its on 12.1.2 which was release on 12/17/18 which is a lil over 2 months ago, shouldnt the phone shipped with ios 9 maybe 10?

ios 12 didnt even come out till September 2018

Feedback Score
    Yes it does. But I don't know **apple about apple.
    If my actions include deeds of philanthropy in charity and acts of loving kindness I am living in my Faith.

Red Pocket (AT&T) $192yr UTnT 5GB exp 08.08.19
    Red Pocket (AT&T) $184.50yr UTnT 1GB exp 02.19.20
    T-Mo Gold Rewards $10yr exp 01.16.20
    Tello x2 (Sprint) $5 1-use/3mo no exp by 10.05.19

Device(s)
    Samsung S9 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, AT&T,Sprint
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by zapjb View Post
    Yes it does. But I don't know **apple about apple.
    me either..

Device(s)
    Pixel XL, OnePlus 2
    Carrier(s)
    Project Fi
    Feedback Score
    If he activated the phone and did all of the software updates, it could have the latest version of iOS on it when you leave the store. The phone will usually search for software updates in the activation process, so it could be that he made sure you had all of the updates before you left the store. If he just took it out for you and it said iOS 12 before he updated it, then I would say it was fake. From the look of Boost site, they somehow do have some iPhone 6s that are new and do say iOS 9. But if it took a while to get setup and for you to leave with the device working, my guess is he did the update for you. If it helps, this is the link to the phone on Boost's site:

https://www.boostmobile.com/phones/a...e-6s-plus.html

Feedback Score
    What he said. So what happened C101?

Device(s)
    Samsung S9 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, AT&T,Sprint
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by J Wireless View Post
    If he activated the phone and did all of the software updates, it could have the latest version of iOS on it when you leave the store. The phone will usually search for software updates in the activation process, so it could be that he made sure you had all of the updates before you left the store. If he just took it out for you and it said iOS 12 before he updated it, then I would say it was fake. From the look of Boost site, they somehow do have some iPhone 6s that are new and do say iOS 9. But if it took a while to get setup and for you to leave with the device working, my guess is he did the update for you. If it helps, this is the link to the phone on Boost's site:

https://www.boostmobile.com/phones/a...e-6s-plus.html
    when i got home and was checking it out it said 12.1.2, the update from that is 12.1.3 then 12.1.4

when i did the update from 12.1.2 it upgraded to 12.1.4 skipping 12.1.3

so no he didnt/couldnt have updated the phone at the store cuz it would of upgraded to 12.1.3/12.1.4

12.1.2 (one on my phone) was released on 12/17/18 soooo the phone would of have to been open and used to connect to apples server to download 12.1.2

i could be wrong about this whole thing and maybe some how apple ship the 6s with ios 12?

im going to the apple store tomorrow morning to get my phone look at

Device(s)
    Qualcomm iPhone X 256 GB Space Grey
    Carrier(s)
    Visible
    Feedback Score
    Check the warranty date of the iPhone. That should give you a good idea as to whether it’s new or not.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    iPhone 7+ on the Verizon Network
    iPad Pro 9.7 on the AT&T Network

Feedback Score
    This website might be useful.

How to Identify a Refurbished iPhone
    https://www.wikihow.tech/Identify-a-Refurbished-iPhone

If buying from a normal store it would be unusual to sell a used phone as new because that is against the law.

Device(s)
    Pixel XL, OnePlus 2
    Carrier(s)
    Project Fi
    Feedback Score
    You can also call customer care and ask how long you have to get insurance on the phone. You can only get it on a new phone, so if it is used, they'll tell you you can't get it.

Device(s)
    A bunch
    Carrier(s)
    Most of them
    Feedback Score
    Probably a refurb. Just do what freakonomics said and check the warranty date. That's the only thing that matters with an iPhone.

Sent from my iPhone using HoFo

Device(s)
    Samsung S9 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, AT&T,Sprint
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by freakonomics101 View Post
    Check the warranty date of the iPhone. That should give you a good idea as to whether it’s new or not.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Where do i find this?

Quote Originally Posted by brad4cell View Post
    This website might be useful.

How to Identify a Refurbished iPhone
    https://www.wikihow.tech/Identify-a-Refurbished-iPhone

If buying from a normal store it would be unusual to sell a used phone as new because that is against the law.
    thanks, this help..has more info than i thought!

Quote Originally Posted by J Wireless View Post
    You can also call customer care and ask how long you have to get insurance on the phone. You can only get it on a new phone, so if it is used, they'll tell you you can't get it.
    the site that brad4cell posted help...i type my SN into apples website it says "Eligible for an AppleCare product"
    and " Apple’s Limited Warranty.Estimated Expiration Date: February 28, 2020" which is right cuz i bought it on the 28th
    apple showed me the info it said on theor screen with the 1 year apple care and what day i bought it...i still find it odd that it ship with ios 12

Quote Originally Posted by clonehappy View Post
    Probably a refurb. Just do what freakonomics said and check the warranty date. That's the only thing that matters with an iPhone.

Sent from my iPhone using HoFo
    not a refurb...also how do i check the warranty date? would like to see what it says

Device(s)
    Samsung S9 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, AT&T,Sprint
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    UPDATE:

so after selling the boost mobile 6s i went ahead a pick up the 6s that metro pcs has...and this iphone also came with 12.1.2 which im happy about cuz now i can jailbrake it!

just odd that apple would take the time to throw ios 12 on the phone like this

Device(s)
    iPhone X, iPhone 7+
    Carrier(s)
    ATT Prepaid, RP
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by cricket101 View Post
    UPDATE:

so after selling the boost mobile 6s i went ahead a pick up the 6s that metro pcs has...and this iphone also came with 12.1.2 which im happy about cuz now i can jailbrake it!

just odd that apple would take the time to throw ios 12 on the phone like this
    There are ways to find out when made. Apple will put a current version of the OS on phones as they make them.
    iPhone X is my current primary phone. I have older model iPhones and Moto phones available on other lines. Currently prepaid, though would consider postpaid on right plan.

Device(s)
    Samsung S9 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, AT&T,Sprint
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by kevink1 View Post
    There are ways to find out when made. Apple will put a current version of the OS on phones as they make them.
    that would make sense cuz both boost mobile and metro pcs 6s came with 12.1.2 and both phones were still wrap in plastic